Clayoquot in March

tubber

Wife's got her eye on this place for 3-4 days.
http://coxbaybeachresort.com/gallery.html

Should I bring the boat? (Whaler 17) Never read much about fishing that time of year. I'm sure I could find a crab and do some exploring for prawns up inside. What about protected waters fishing in March?

Wife's got her eye on this place for 3-4 days.
http://coxbaybeachresort.com/gallery.html

Should I bring the boat? (Whaler 17) Never read much about fishing that time of year. I'm sure I could find a crab and do some exploring for prawns up inside. What about protected waters fishing in March?

Tubber, March can be a good Salmon fishery for feeders. They are starting to show in good numbers along the outer island spots and pushing in further on Flood tides. You likely know that the West coast can be sweet weather or nasty, all in the same day so hard to predict. Crabbing should be good and prawning in protected waters is an option as well.
We would be glad to help with pointers on a chart if you do come, stop by our shop. You might call in advance to make sure I'm there as we are not on regular hours until later in the month thru October.

J.

Thanks Jay. It would be nice to fart around on the water on a calmish day or two. I'll stop by if/when get there. What's the latest on Japanese beach debris?

I fished there on feb 7th, beauty sunny day! not far from the dock and we found some solid action with about 12 bites in 3.5hr.... nothing big but lots of fun on light gear! kept 3 west coast legals (only need to be 45cm) caught a few coho too which is a good sign. Hootchies worked well and we were only in 65ft of water. Took the GF for an early valentines getaway and stayed at the beach break lodge which was awesome! private vacation rental type place, paid over the phone by CC and got the door code. super easy and amazing location right on the beach on my favorite beach (chesterman) was very high end with private hot tub and kitchen and a sweet bedroom with fireplace. Cheap winter deals right now too! Left my boat at home and hired a guide and was a good call as towing there would be a ***** and good deals on charters can be found this time of year too. learn the area from a pro!

thanks ff. something to think about. I've fished there about 5 days in the past but don't know the spots that well. I'm hoping to learn more so I can take some family out when we return in the summer. I'm worried about the tow over the Connector and Coq for snow, but I guess the passes between Parksville and PA and then the last one before Kennedy Lake could also be crappy if it snows. My truck is only 2 wd. I think we'll book something and then make a last minute decision on the boat based on road and marine forecasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jay. It would be nice to fart around on the water on a calmish day or two. I'll stop by if/when get there. What's the latest on Japanese beach debris?

Not much showing up for Japanese items compared to the Media hype. I saw a "forecast" on-line last night, and it seems the bulk will not be hitting PNW areas for a year or so..

While it might be just a little early... Another consideration for you Tubber: For a handful of years me and a couple of The Ladz wandered well up inside Clayoquot Sound. Hunted the areas just off each of the little river mouths, and wandered up a few of those a way as well. Ran into some rather awesome Searun Cutty fishing back up in there - saw a few going well over 4 pounds, and the odd Monster approaching 6!! Bit of a run, but with the boat on the trailer could launch rather close. Reasonably protected waters, and some serious FUN when you land on them! If the fry are out (and given this warm spring that is entirely likely) they will be there...

Cheers,
Nog

Great idea Nog. Fly fishing for cutties while the traps soak would cure the itch equally well as bouncing around in Stormwatch season. I can't bear to take my ice auger out and stare down a hole anymore.
I chose an old open boat just so I could pile on the traps, beach it a bit and fly fish from it. When you say launch reasonably close do you mean somewhere other than Tofino like Grice Bay?

Back