Chum run looks bad this year

Most of the recruits for these years ran into the blob...
Yes, most likely cause - blaming this one on commercial and FN fisheries is a little bit of a stretch. Might make people feel better that they can attach a label and affix some easy blame, but the problems and solutions are not that simple to sort out.

I just think its a bit of a stretch to think that the commercial and FN fisheries are THE cause. With specific regards to the chum, but also more broadly to reduced abundance, the problem exists before our commercial and FN fisheries. That additional removals by fisheries can exacerbate the problem I think is undisputed...but really the strength of the cohort is dependent on early marine survival...disease, temperature (the blob), prey availability (the blob), predation, etc.

You really think the netting in the ocean and in our rivers doesn't play a major part? Keep your head in the sand.

It will be interesting to see what our returns of chum will actually be once we actually get some water back to our rivers.

Weird how asides from the Harrison we are seeing one of the best coho returns to other LM flows in a long long time!

I'm under no illusions as to fishery impacts. But exploitation rates now are a fraction of what they were 30 years ago. On some systems, harvest rates of 75% were not uncommon, and escapement goals were met or exceeded every year. Now those same stocks are just maintaining at 5-10% incidental exploitation. The turn happened somewhere in the 90's.

I'm not saying the fisheries don't have the capacity for impacts, I'm saying the bulk of the impacts happen before we get a crack at them. That doesn't mean we shouldn't mitigate the impacts we can control, I just think we need to look beyond the obvious. We are all user groups, we all have impacts, but there is a reason for whats happening, and its a strong bet it happens before the fisheries open up.

What you say has credibility, however the department which costs the tax payer Billions of dollars has no answer.
At what point do we begin to hold them responsible?

I'm under no illusions as to fishery impacts. But exploitation rates now are a fraction of what they were 30 years ago. On some systems, harvest rates of 75% were not uncommon, and escapement goals were met or exceeded every year. Now those same stocks are just maintaining at 5-10% incidental exploitation. The turn happened somewhere in the 90's.

I'm not saying the fisheries don't have the capacity for impacts, I'm saying the bulk of the impacts happen before we get a crack at them. That doesn't mean we shouldn't mitigate the impacts we can control, I just think we need to look beyond the obvious. We are all user groups, we all have impacts, but there is a reason for whats happening, and its a strong bet it happens before the fisheries open up.

Is it that there are no answers? Or is it that we don't want to hear the answers?

I'm totally taking this off track, and I'll apologize now, but really, we have known the answers for a LONG time. As a collective, we have failed to act to mitigate them. Quick $$ is apparently more important, maybe we are reaping what has been sown?

I wish it was as easy as just blaming DFO and holding "them" accountable. The real problem is as simple and complex as looking in the mirror every day - its staring back at you. None of us are too quick to take meaningful steps to lower our carbon footprint, heating our buildings, driving our cars and boats, stop flushing human drug laden waste down the toilet, etc. The lower than expected chum run this year isn't directly related to DFO management of the fishery IMO. Of course, no one wants to hear that either.

I agree their is some macro trends like warm waters and ocean survival rates. Where overall returns are effected and not in our control. fluctuations have occurred up and down in the past. This years chum returns certainly look to be effected by that trend.

Over exploration tho and over fishing is also a thing. Rivers inlet sockeye completely collapse from overfishing and have not recovered since.

Cowichan and Harrison chinooks share pretty much the same ocean. If one is increasing while the other is decreasing. Then something other then ocean survival is an issue.

Tying to keep reasonable opportunities and access while not over fishing is not an easy thing to do. Meanwhile having to do that within a framework and allocation policy set out by the Supreme Court.

I think that’s why some people are at the point of conversation is a concern then close it to all. If conservation is not a concern then open it to all.

IMO the threshold to stop fsc fisheries is far to low and does not promote/allow a proper recovery to happen.

Please note that a Fisheries Notice outlining the following info. regarding Chum non-retention Mgmt. actions will be posted to DFO website today:

Further to FN1161 and FN1179, the coastwide returns of Chum salmon have been very poor and the current in-season estimate for the return to the Fraser River is 769,000.
According to the South Coast Salmon IFMP, at this run size commercial fisheries are suspended and recreational fisheries are restricted to tributary systems where surplus is likely to occur.
Based on current stock assessment information the only indications of surplus abundances are in the Chilliwack River.

Therefore, the daily limit for chum salmon is reduced to zero (0) effective one hour after sunset, Sunday, October 28, 2018 until December 31, 2018 on the Allouette River, Harrison River, Stave River and Nicomen Slough.
In addition, the Chehalis River will not open on November 1st to the retention of chum.

A surplus of chums to the Chilliwack? Right ... that hasn't happened for a long, long time.

Its a little bazaar that they would close the stave and leave chilliwack open I try and see if i can get the "current stock assessment information"

Last edited:
I received a response, The only reason they are keeping the Chilliwack open is they think they "May reach brood targets" That's pretty grim all around when you are not even going to make brood targets.

"In addition to overall low returns of Chum this year, info from FIA Stock Assessment staff are indicating that none of the terminal areas are showing any abundance of Chum; the only exception to this is Chilliwack where it is looking like we will make brood targets."

Last edited:
Was up on the Stave yesterday targeting Coho. There are usually so many Chum around this time of the year. Was pretty dead up there , really terrible to see what has happened to this once abundant fishery.

Yup, shut her down. No fishing for chum by anyone. BC Ferries would certainly support that - the gill nets are pretty good at catching Ferries. Climate change isn't real. Fake news.

Lots of drift netting on lower Fraser today!
Conservation is a real concern lol!!
Absolute fkn joke

Last edited:
Lots of drift netting on lower Fraser today!
Conservation is a real concern lol!!

Just drove over golden ears on my way to an urban flow. Katzie got their commercial fleet out netting.

This mysterious yet wonderful area the chum returns look okay or they all just flooded in with a bit of rain. 4 coho Could be seen and 1 monster coho over 1o pounds. All wilds

1 black bear plucking the chum and an eagle landed on a tree overhead.

Last edited:
Back