Chum Opening

Yes!! I use to fish late Coho there years ago.there were lots of Ho's back in the days.

Rick

I just finished the Seine test fishery yesterday and in 3 weeks of testing we never caught 1 coho. Very bad year this year, very little at the Goldstream hatchery as well.
All species seemed really early this year. Chum is done! when it is usually just now at its peak.

Cheers

"I just finished the Seine test fishery yesterday and in 3 weeks of testing we never caught 1 coho. Very bad year this year, very little at the Goldstream hatchery as well.
All species seemed really early this year. Chum is done! when it is usually just now at its peak."

Did you get any Steelhead? The Albion Test Fishery has not had one Steelhead in the last month.

quote:Originally posted by twinwinds

I just finished the Seine test fishery yesterday and in 3 weeks of testing we never caught 1 coho. Very bad year this year, very little at the Goldstream hatchery as well.
All species seemed really early this year. Chum is done! when it is usually just now at its peak.

Cheers

Yes, bad for coho, but was pretty good in general for goldstream, even if early - last I saw was I think 219 springs compared to 5 last year..24000 chum compared to 15000...and that was last week. I'm sure it relates to timing of rain event when they make the final push, so I personally wouldn't read too much into the timing.

No steelhead at all. And the only thing good at goldstream i would say was the chum which did show up early and finish early.
The chinook was really good when your comparing it to last year but over all i think we would like a few more......
Yesterday we managed a couple more coho at the fence and that was it along with a few female chum.
All done for the year....
cheers

I was at goldstream today. Yes, the number was 219 for chinook. The coho was bed, i cant remember the number. The Chum was the big surprise. They got 47,800 back. That was the total they had posted at the nature house. The 2 previous years were 24,000 and 35,000. So that is good. The sign said 2 chinook last year, so 219 is pretty good for this year. Anyone know what the numbers are for the Cowichan river? Also, does anyone know/remember what the chinook returns were for goldstream in the mid 80's?

As of the 1st week in November the count for Cowichan was 900 taken for hatchery for an estimated 1.5 million eggs and 940 past the fence for natural spawning.

AL

Back