Chinook size limit

Oh Sure

The tide & bite guide 2016 states size limit for Port Alberni and Ukie ( area 23,123) as minimum size 62 cm. yet the DFO site says minimum size is 45 cm. Which is correct?

DFO site should be your go to and checked often as reg's change throughout the season. Having said that, the "additional info" link is still showing the 2015 chinook openings map - I find this to be a problem on the DFO site every spring, they don't update the openings map until well into the season I find. I'm guessing the 62cm min size on the other site hasn't been updated since last fall when the August through fall tighter restrictions come into effect in Area 23. While they should be reflected on the Area page, you should also refer to the Fishery Notice Report page to see if there are any new notices.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s23-eng.htm#Chinook

Cheers!

Ukee

That is totally incorrect, in fact with the current predicted run size is 100,000++ to the river the current discussion is about lifting the slot limit in August for Barkley Sound. So the traditional over under 77 cm slot will be examined to determine if we should lift it given they are planning a commercial harvest. The rec fishery has priority access to chinook, so there is a strong argument to lift the restrictions if DFO plans to allow a commercial fishery, which they are definitely doing. This will be the best chinook fishing in over a decade. Sharpen your hooks. There will be no slot limit in the Alberni Inlet for sure. The run is so large they plan a seine and gill net opening for August and early September.

I sincerely hope these predictions come true, however I only believe it when I see the counts in the river this fall. Too many wrongs in the past, especially in the PA region.

That is totally incorrect, in fact with the current predicted run size is 100,000++ to the river the current discussion is about lifting the slot limit in August for Barkley Sound. So the traditional over under 77 cm slot will be examined to determine if we should lift it given they are planning a commercial harvest. The rec fishery has priority access to chinook, so there is a strong argument to lift the restrictions if DFO plans to allow a commercial fishery, which they are definitely doing. This will be the best chinook fishing in over a decade. Sharpen your hooks. There will be no slot limit in the Alberni Inlet for sure. The run is so large they plan a seine and gill net opening for August and early September.
Searun ,
are these Robertson Creek fish?
if so....wow...nice to hear.

Hey Searun where do you find the projected return data?

Was presented by DFO at the South Coast SFAB meeting last Saturday. There was a detailed file outlining the forecasts for all the West Coast rivers down to Washington and Oregon. I did some quick math during the presentation and came up with something like 1.7+ million chinook heading down the WCVI this summer. Obviously hard to do detailed addition in a meeting, but regardless the outlook is epic.

Of note was Columbia 1.1 million, Robertson (Port Alberni) and Conuma (Nootka) both expecting 100,000 + returns this season....each, as in wow....as in sharpen your hooks giddy with excited anticipation good. The Barkley Sound fish will be mostly comprised of larger age 4 females, so we should get a few more 20 to 25+ pound fish this season.

Hopefully no one comes along and tries pouring cold water by suggesting its all a DFO voodoo math sham.:eek:

Back