Chinook limit

Takes 2 seconds to make sharpie marks at the waterline of your boat on both sides.. .easy to tell if a fish is legal or not and a quick release with a gaff without the fish coming out of the water. No need to even touch it if you're not gonna keep it.

Most people don't take fish out of the water to measure them they just do a quick check while the fish is in the net which is itself in the water (for the most part).

Catch & Release on Salmon is estimated to have a 5%-10% mortality rate-fishing is a blood sport and always will be.

Takes 2 seconds to make sharpie marks at the waterline of your boat on both sides.. .easy to tell if a fish is legal or not and a quick release with a gaff without the fish coming out of the water. No need to even touch it if you're not gonna keep it.

That would work for hali's as well.... <:)((((((><

Other than donating money is there way the public can get involved in cliping our Hatchery fish? Can somebody like me volunteer to help for a day?

Yes you can clip Coho at Jack Brooks Hatchery in Sooke. Just watch this forum and you will see a request posted for Volunteers in a few months. A number of us on this forum do so every year.

If you live in the Sooke area you may want to consider giving the Jack Brooks Hatchery a call. I suspect there is a need for volunteers to work at the hatchery every day. The fish need to be fed a lot and those that do that and other day to day hatchery work are the real heroes in my opinion.

If you have a larger sport fishing boat you could also volunteer yourself and your boat to assist with the Consultants Derby. The money raised from that goes to supporting the hatcheries and fish habitat work. Send Chris73 a pm if you are interested in that.

Sooke is a little far for me to go! How about in the lower Mainland I am definitely up for helping out. Maybe I can get some good fish karma to help me catch a few this year :)

I suspect there is and also a lot of other volunteer work that you could do over there. Clipping fish once a year is the glamour work but still a very worthwhile and important thing to do.

There is also a lot of other work that needs to get done. Someone has to pull out the shopping carts that the kids like to push into the urban fish bearing streams. Perhaps someone familiar with the lower mainland can point you in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
And pretty soon we will need lots of hatchery volunteers to take over the big facilities that DFO will abandon due to further budget cuts.

capt party marty there are alot of hatcheries in the LML.... 4 or 5 in the tricity!!

Could you imagine how much more could be accomplished if it was required that everyone who held a sport fishing license had to do a minimum 8 hours volunteer work before getting the next license.

Could you imagine how much more could be accomplished if it was required that everyone who held a sport fishing license had to do a minimum 8 hours volunteer work before getting the next license.

Not just anglers ; I know there are guides such as yourself who have done a great deal of fish related volunteer work but I also know there are those who make a living off these fish that have done very little or nothing .

More relevant is what has the commercial sector contributed which has made billions off our fish. It seems to me that there are hundreds of millions of dollars that should have come off the top from the commercial fishing and processing sector as an expense to mitigate the damage they have done and do to the fish. For example we have large extremely politically powerful corporations which strip mine the Herring out of our waters. Yet as I understand it, it is volunteer anglers who are fund raising and are working to screen toxic pilings to protect herring eggs from being deposited on them and poisoned from the creosote in the pilings because anglers know that Salmon need Herring.

How much is the Atlantic Fish Farm industry paying into a fund to restore our inlets and fisheries to the very limited extent that I suspect will be possible once the industry collapses as it has in other parts of the world. Will they leaves BC with a lot of inlets with rusted out equipment, polluted biologic dead zones and disease devastated Pacific salmon and trout populations that the tax payers will be on the hook to try and clean up and restore. I suspect that anglers of the future, if there are any left, will have to be fund raising and volunteering for this also.

Add to all this the Harper Government’s gutting of fish habitat protection legislation to please it’s corporate masters and the cuts to the funding of DFO and I suspect anglers will have to be doing ever increasing fund raising and volunteering to mitigate the damage being done by the anti angler/anti wild Pacific fish agenda in Ottawa.

Back