Chinook hatchery returns

littlechucky

Crew Member
Interesting read here...

http://ariverneversleeps.com/hatcheries/

Given the abysmal returns of hatchery produced Chinook, maybe this has merit. Certainly continuing the same strategy isn't going to improve the effectiveness. There has to be a more effective method than simply playing the volume game.

I've looked at the DFO stats from some of the hatcheries and they are similar in terms of returns...here are the numbers for the Chilliwack River...the Quinsam off the Campbell River is no better.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/projects-projets/chilliwack/chilliwack-eng.html

I am curious to hear people's thoughts, particularly those with some experience in the hatchery game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this littlechucky. On one of the other threads http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...on-can-adapt-to-warmer-environment-study-says a few months ago - we had quite a long conversation/debate on the challenges and successes of hatcheries.

To add to that debate both from the past thread and this one: hatcheries face many challenges with success in repopulating depressed populations of fish - the least of which is that many - if not most - hatcheries do not spend enough time/effort in checking on their success and altering production protocols, as the article you posted pointed-out. The reason for this is quite simple: marking fry is a considerable time/personnel issue, and most hatcheries already suffer from underfunding and understaffing and really can't take on more work in addition to pumping-out smolts.

So there is an assumption that every fish/smolt going out the door is a success - and everyone prays and hopes and waits to see what will happen in about 4 years time.

In order to assess the ocean survival rate - hatchery fish must be marked somehow in order to differentiate them from their wild cousins. Typically, the adipose fin is removed from hatchery smolts when they are small fry - and sometimes a chip (PIT tag) is placed under their skin on the nose. It is very time consuming to do this to say 300,000 Chinook smolts. Then, enough hatchery fish have to return with the wild fish - and be found - in order to generate an estimate of ocean survival rates. That is another commitment in people/time/money - but can often be accomplished on smaller watersheds when carrying-out a broodstock take.

If the ocean survival rates mirror and nearly match that of their wild cousins (so, this process must also be accomplished on the wild stocks - a smolt fence and/or tagging) - then you are doing well. If not - you are doing something not so well. So - there should be 2+ production protocols for each hatchery - so you can fine-tune what works. The article you posted spoke about these changes in production protocol.

Most hatcheries hobble along with funding, personnel and infrastructure - and just doing it one way is all they can manage. Finding money to differentiate the water system and tanks and trying something new - is very difficult for most hatcheries.

Changing gears a little - I like what the Alaskans do wrt their hatcheries. They get around common-property issues there by having terminal fisheries pay for their hatcheries, and they use an efficient way of marking their smolts. They use thermal marking to produce a morse-code imprint on the very early growth of the otoliths of the smolts - and use that imprint to differentiate wild/hatchery stock and figure-out things like ocean survival rates.

Thermal marking is a process where (usually) fertilized and growing eggs are subjected to rapid increases and subsequent decreases in ambient water temperatures in either Heath trays or an upwelling box - which shows up later on the otoliths. You can do hundreds of thousands of eggs in one go - verses the work in manual handling of live smolts when the adipose is being clipped. Unfortunately, it is also "terminal" for the fish to dig-out the otolith - so that method has some limitations in that you can't easily ID returned hatchery fish w/o killing them.

I appreciate the article and the thread, littlechucky. Good discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another related article (citing much of the same information), but provides more information on the background a process of releasing older, smaller smolts.

http://ariverneversleeps.com/the-chinook-key/

It will be very interesting to see the results in a couple of years (though that will hardly provide sufficient data to be conclusive either way).

If they even come close to hitting some of the targets they suggest, it would be a real breakthrough.

Precisely why I have posted previously saying that the Robertson Hatchery program needs a complete re-think! Carol attends our SFAC meetings on a regular basis and has presented her findings on several occasions. We have written letters of support, and endorsed moving in a slightly different direction with the program. Last year there were more jacks in the Sarita which is encouraging...however, one of the criticisms of the S-1 program is it produces a high proportion of jacks. This year's return will tell a better story...we are waiting to see.

Also of contrast is the difference in survival with the Conuma and Nitnat fish as compared to Robertson. There may possibly be a connection between release strategies and survival. Again, time will tell.

All this to say, if we keep doing what we have always done, expecting a different result that is sheer insanity.

Changing gears a little - I like what the Alaskans do wrt their hatcheries. They get around common-property issues there by having terminal fisheries pay for their hatcheries, and they use an efficient way of marking their smolts. They use thermal marking to produce a morse-code imprint on the very early growth of the otoliths of the smolts - and use that imprint to differentiate wild/hatchery stock and figure-out things like ocean survival rates.

Thermal marking is a process where (usually) fertilized and growing eggs are subjected to rapid increases and subsequent decreases in ambient water temperatures in either Heath trays or an upwelling box - which shows up later on the otoliths. You can do hundreds of thousands of eggs in one go - verses the work in manual handling of live smolts when the adipose is being clipped. Unfortunately, it is also "terminal" for the fish to dig-out the otolith - so that method has some limitations in that you can't easily ID returned hatchery fish w/o killing them.

Thermal marking is done here in BC also. Has been for some time now with Sockeye.

These were the S1 Chinook we (Omega Pacific, with funding from Cermaq and Creative Salmon) released into the Sarita River in 2011.

Preliminary counts of jacks were looking pretty promising (don't have the exact numbers), hopefully over the next few we may just see some hogs.

Fish in bubbles.jpgHalf and half.jpgRocky background.jpg

Thanks for sharing those pic's - very cool. I'm sure Carol will provide an update at our SFAC meeting. I think it will be October 23 - just finalizing dates to make sure our recording secretary is able to be at the meeting. Hopefully our meeting date isn't too soon for the data to be available. Fingers crossed that the S-1 return is strong - we need some good news and alternatives to the current program.

Chinook S1 Committee – DFO Planned S1 Chinook Trial at Omega Hatchery 100K and Robertson Creek 100K
Omega Hatchery grew and released Sarita River Br 2009 48,000 S1 chinook smolts. A significantly high number of adults returned from these smolts back to the Sarita River in 2013.
Rough estimates are 15 to 20x greater ocean survival than for the standard S0 type Chinook Releases.
As a result, DFO has listed several new S1 Chin Trials for this upcoming fall 2014 spawning season.

One of the trials is for the Robertson Creek Chinook Stock .
Both Omega Pacific Hatchery and Robertson Creek Hatchery will each grow 100,000 S1 juvenile chinook annually over a four year duration.
Robertson Creek hatchery chinook ocean survivals have dropped to .17% and this trial is to see whether using the same rearing
program which Omega Hatchery used for the Sarita River S1 Chin smolts would improve the Robertson survivals.

Omega Hatchery is to provide DFO with their rearing program details and both hatcheries will similarly raise 100k S1 chinook. All fish will be
CWT and released from Robertson Creek (Omega to transport their fish for imprinting in the final week before release to Robertson Creek).
DFO will pay for CWT and assistance in transport from Omega to Robertson, Our committee will need to find funds to pay for the feed labor and costs associated
with rearing the fish at Omega Hatchery. Each cycle being approx 18 month duration.

Our committee had requested the eggs at the green stage (just when spawned) however this year we will start off the program at the eyed stage, with eggs being picked-up by Omega
from Robertson mid December.

Summary Note From Myself
Since 2003 I have annually submitted to DFO a proposal for Omega Pacific Hatchery to grow a group of S1 Chin smolts to provide fishing opportunities for our area.
The use of a natural yearling chinook smolt will effectively result in increased ocean survivals and larger tyee size adult returns.

We have continued to submit proposals to grow S1 chin to increase the returns for the Nahmint and Sarita River,
supported by their area’s local first nations.

The yearling chinook topic has had great support from many organizations and individuals.
The trial and progress on this topic, though slow, is good news and positive step forward for the management of wild and enhanced chinook populations.

And thank you to the Rec Fishing sector for their continued support.

Sincerely,
Carol

Thanks for posting. Carol wasn't able to attend our SFAC meeting so we did not get an update on the 2014 return of S1's to Sarita. That said, the gist of what happened this year is a poor return to the Sarita so far this fall. Was that because they were intercepted in a fishery? Did the S1's not fair well in the ocean? Who knows for sure. My guess is we have to keep trying to see if there is a way to improve the smolt to adult survival and its just too difficult to nail down what is impacting that in the open ocean. On a hopefully positive front, the jack return to Robertson was amazingly high this fall. If you are an old school fisher, that was generally thought to be a good indication of the main run strength of 4 year olds....time will tell on that front too.

I talked to Carol yesterday and she said that the survival rate for the 48,000 Sarita S1's had been estimated at better than 5%.

Don't have anything for totals, there may have been some fish coming in later - and there should be more yet next season.

I think it's a pretty strong case for the additional time and effort put into those fish.

i talked to carol yesterday and she said that the survival rate for the 48,000 sarita s1's had been estimated at better than 5%.

Don't have anything for totals, there may have been some fish coming in later - and there should be more yet next season.

I think it's a pretty strong case for the additional time and effort put into those fish.

awesome results!

Back