Chinook fishery to close ???

I HIGLY suggest, people don't just "show-up"!

I know for a FACT, DFO has spent time and they are coming prepared! DFO is going to present the number they want you (and the world) to see, which isn't very pretty and when exploited doesn't look good for the sport sector. It will look something like this:
Freshwater Sport
CDFO
Ocean Troll (non-treaty)
CDFO
Treaty Troll
WDFW
Note: NO OCEAN SPORT
TOTALS:
Note: NO OCEAN SPORT
0.00%
Columbia River Gillnet
ODFW
Freshwater Sport
CDFO
Ocean Sport
CDFO
Ocean Sport
ODFW
Ocean Troll (non-treaty)
CDFO
Ocean Troll (non-treaty)
ODFW
Ocean Troll (non-treaty)
WDFW
Treaty Troll
WDFW
TOTALS:
Ocean Sport
CDFO
17.14%
Estuary Sport
WDFW
Freshwater Sport
CDFO
Ocean Sport
CDFO
Ocean Troll (non-treaty)
CDFO
Ocean Troll (non-treaty)
WDFW
Treaty Troll
WDFW
TOTALS:
Ocean Sport
CDFO
9.09%
Estuary Sport
WDFW
Groundfish Observer (Gulf of Alaska)
NMFS
Mixed Net and Seine
CDFO
Ocean Sport
CDFO
Ocean Troll (non-treaty)
ADFG
Ocean Troll (non-treaty)
CDFO
Ocean Troll (non-treaty)
WDFW
Treaty Troll
WDFW
TOTALS:
Ocean Sport
CDFO
20.41%
Aboriginal Mixed Net
CDFO
Freshwater Sport
CDFO
Ocean Gillnet (non-treaty)
CDFO
Ocean Sport
CDFO
Ocean Troll (non-treaty)
CDFO
Ocean Troll (non-treaty)
WDFW
Sport (private)
WDFW
Treaty Troll
WDFW
TOTALS:
Ocean Sport
CDFO
45.45%
Total Observed
Total 'Ocean Sport'
CDFO
20.14%

That is “documented” and when “exploited” it is UGLY!

I suggest getting your information gathered to support your position of staying open (which is out there, but I am NOT posting) as stated I know for "A FACT" what DFO has to support their decission to close the ocean sport fishing.

Simply put... Get your ducks in order, as if you just show up in force to be counted, you will be listening to a very well prepared presentation of the facts they want you to see! If you don't ask the right questions, or provide information to justify being open - you will be shut down!

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
If i'm understanding these stats correctly, there have been a total of 139 tagged Fraser Chinook
caught over the last 5 years by all sector's.
Of that total ,the ocean sport caught represent 20.14%
If that last number is exploited by DFO ,it doesn't look good.

Does it not make more sense to look at the total caught over 5 years ?
139 fish over 5 years = 27.4 fish a year intercepted by all sectors.
the sport caught catch = approx 5.4 fish per year on average.

Correct me if my math is wrong, but i see that as a drop in the bucket
how can that equate to a complete closure for sports fishing ? :confused:

Just get home from a holiday and greeted by this **** for news. I'll be there tonight and demanding that DFO resign. A continued downward spiral of all fish stocks on the west coast, not learning from their east coast mistake!!!! If 19/20 is being set up to be yet further screwed then my gloves come off...sorry Renny..WCVI...Haida Guai guys but I'll demand a total coast wide closure and all Fraser Native fisheries. I won't sit by and allow my area to suffer long term restrictions waiting for stocks to rebound while they are caught elsewhere..thus slowing the recovery in this area. If there is to be any suffering...then it will be shared by all...for these fish swim don't just swim in 19/20. I'm prepared to park the boat....but not forever while the stocks continue to decline. It's time to demand a change...first thing to go is DFO!!! That will be my message tonight regardless of the local SFAB position.

Sorry that you had to come home to this ****** news, PF>

I hope that you had a great vacation in my happy place. :D

Ola Shawn, ya first time in Mexico. Had a great time with the family. I bet you miss the sun and 80 deg every day!!! lol Hard to believe the snow on all the hills around the airport this morning as we landed. Seemed like the sun ended as we came north around Wash.

I'm sure DFO would love to hear a request for a total shutdown. How about a shut down for a couple of days a week to let the endangered fish that have run the gauntlet up north get through. Surely with DFO's wisdom, they can figure which days would be best. And, I guess that DFO is planning on enhancing the habit that will insure that the few fish they are concerned about will have a good home to go to.

Stosh

Yup--that's the bigger fight. You coming to the Sheraton tonight dan? See you there if you are.
Tom

The recent headlines "Draconian chinook cuts loom for anglers, Restrictions raise fears for future of southern Island sport fishing" includes statements like "root causes are habitat loss and water extraction, "DFO should be looking at the commercial and First Nations fisheries."

I don't know how everyone can miss the point that DFO has been hiding two viruses - Salmon Leukemia found to infect 100% of chinook, killing most of them. DFO muzzled their own scientist when she found evidence this virus is killing BC wild salmon. This virus has been pouring out of salmon feedlots throughout the south coast since 1990.

And Infectious Salmon Anemia which DFO found in 55% of east Vancouver Island chinook and specifically told colleagues not to release to the Cohen Inquiry, orders which were disobeyed.

I know how Rachel Carson felt and the many others who can see the pattern of demise of the things we love, but struggle unsuccessfully to communicate them. Is there anyone out there brave enough to communicate this issue more broadly than I am capable of? Anyone who is not compromised by your livelihood? Anyone who really wants to turn this around for the chinook, the whales that depend on them, the people who rely on them?

So much evidence poured out of Cohen about why south coast wild salmon are vanishing, evidence that was hidden, muzzled, suppressed, but now that it is in plain sight, still no one will look at it. Government is dedicated to promoting farm salmon, they just gave the industry another 4 million today and they know a potentially cancer-causing virus and a fish flu virus are going to make it harder to flog the product in a world over-saturated with feedlot salmon.

Many depend on government and industry handouts and so they remain silent, or just don't look.

Chinook populations cannot survive a virus that infects 100% of them and kills most of them. They just can't and unless we turn off the tap, this lethal biological pollutant is going to keep on killing our fish while we squabble over the scraps.

The tragedy is that it would be SO easy to turn this off. Just move the industry away from the wild salmon.

alexandra
http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/...nook-collapse-and-salmon-feedlot-viruses.html
got this email this afternoon--makes sense---everyone wants fish in the future--maybe its time to get the fish farms under control.

another article in the Vancouver Sun today...
http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports+fishers+reject+restrictions+chinook/6348560/story.html

I emailed the reporter and chastized her for not even mentioning the fish farms and sent her the best links to research regarding disease. I also did this with a reporter on the island. I think if we created a sticky in the conservation section that has contacts for press, dfo, politicians, we could all start an effective campaign of enlightenment. (you do not have to support the disease theory, just all our thoughts)

Back