Charting a Path for Salmon & Public Fishery - SFI Free Web-Conference

I agree with all the above. RR was lame at best. I am sure she is serving her master & awaiting a promotion; but this is my opinion of most management in all private/public situations. Being a Computer Consultant & seeing LOT's of different company's gives me this opinion.
FYI we have had a few pinnipeds with gunshot wounds wash-up on Seattle beaches that makes the evening news once, but that's about it. Seattle is extremely liberal & most probably spend more money on their pets than many can afford to spend in their kid's (makes me wanna puke FYI) & gvmt pinniped culls don't seem to draw much attention. I think the animal huggers are starting to realize that it either an overpopulation of pinniped or an underpopulation of SRKW we are faced with.
Dr. Walters was a breath of fresh air.
Clearly and concisely spelled out the research and data which demonstrates the largest impacts to salmon stocks are pinnipeds, and addressed several related misnomers while doing so.
Right-on here; I LOVE where he said that if he were a middle manager, he would rat-hole this issue as long as possible.
It was a little depressing to see his slide on how long it took for the Sockeye to recover (decades) after the Hell's Gate incident. Similar situation IF we begin zapping the Pinnipeds now; it will be decades.
Looking at the upcoming agenda's I think change will be measured in decades. RR commented briefly on MSF saying an issue is "encounters" with endangered stocks. Living in WA I think I have a pretty good handle on this; harvest of marked fish is constrained by the allowable number of wild fish that can be killed via catch-related mortality in the process of catching hatchery fish. In our most popular Puget Sound fishing locations, we are talking a catch of 5K marked Chinook per area that yields a 2 week or so season. New this year is a 90% or so reduction in Winter fisheries & from what I hear the choice was Summer OR Winter, pick one. BC is affected by this as well as the latest Treaty has reduced the mortality of endangered Puget Sound Chinook in BC waters.

Chart a path for salmon & public fishery by dismantling DFO. Starting with Rebecca Reid's job. Yes, I know - a foaming at the mouth rant so don't even bother pointing that out to me - but DFO is beyond talking reason with. I'm really exhausted of being fed BS by persons just protecting their jobs and working hard to make it look like they are doing something beneficial. In the end our tax dollars pay their salaries. Everything else is blah, blah, blah......

RR commented briefly on MSF saying an issue is "encounters" with endangered stocks. Living in WA I think I have a pretty good handle on this; harvest of marked fish is constrained by the allowable number of wild fish that can be killed via catch-related mortality in the process of catching hatchery fish.

there is no allowable catch in bc on wild Fraser stocks of concern for the recreational fishery any allowable catch is put aside for FSC.

First Nations are against a MSF as they believe it would circumvent their priority.

BC is affected by this as well as the latest Treaty has reduced the mortality of endangered Puget Sound Chinook in BC waters

we would be effected by this in a minor way if we had regs like we did pre 2018 but our obligations to the treaty are more then covered by our pretty much coast wide restrictions to protect Fraser stocks. Here in Vancouver tho since the summer fishery is closed from May to August to protect Fraser stocks more People are starting to fish in the winter where we catch nice red puget sound wilds.

so guess will see how that plays out

Back