Charter Insurance

profisher

Renewal coming up next month and my premium has gone up a bit. Mine is through Yacht Insurance in Sidney. I compared prices a couple years ago and couldn't do any better than I already had. Anyone else feel they are getting a great deal and policy from someone else? Just wanting to check again on a short list.

Call Jeff Hope at hub Insurance in Campbell River. 250 287 8819.
Best Policy in BC.
I sure that a lot of the guides on this board are hooked up with Jeff.

Was that the Enns Office at one time? I used them for years, but then their price inflated and i got a better policy in town and cheaper. I checked in CR the last time I compared (2 years ago) and it was still cheaper here.

quote:Originally posted by godeep

Call Jeff Hope at hub Insurance in Campbell River. 250 287 8819.
Best Policy in BC.
I sure that a lot of the guides on this board are hooked up with Jeff.

That goes for me too..

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Found out something interesting today. Seems the marine insurance industry isn't fully up to speed on the latest Transport Canada Small Passenger Vessels regs yet. Not even aware that the standard life jacket is not accepted by TC regs. I quickly explained some of the new requirements for both vessel and skipper/crew. I asked so if someone doesn't comply with the required TC regs...are they covered in a liability case where the owner/skipper is sued? Answer, NO! So those of you holding a policy..doesn't mean its worth anything if your flying under the TC radar screen. If sued you could loose your house, car, basically everything!

Absolutely correct...no matter what your current policy is, as of November if your vessel and skipper are not up to current TC standards....your policies will be void if you run into a liability issue.
They might even tell you not to worry but remember one thing, insurance companies hate to pay out so they will follow every avenue to avoid responsibility...
I can tell you honestly that probably 10% of the operators out of our area were fully compliant so next year might be interesting.
It's not that difficult...a few courses and a self-inspection...how hard can that be.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Found out something interesting today. Seems the marine insurance industry isn't fully up to speed on the latest Transport Canada Small Passenger Vessels regs yet. Not even aware that the standard life jacket is not accepted by TC regs. I quickly explained some of the new requirements for both vessel and skipper/crew. I asked so if someone doesn't comply with the required TC regs...are they covered in a liability case where the owner/skipper is sued? Answer, NO! So those of you holding a policy..doesn't mean its worth anything if your flying under the TC radar screen. If sued you could loose your house, car, basically everything!

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/4726988?fr=yvmtf

You would be surprised by how many guides (many on here) don't comply and therefor have no insurance for potential liability claims. Dumb!

I actualy feel dumb at times having gone through the effort of having my cute little yellow sticker, and annual self inspection decals. With the cost factor of training and extra goodies to comply with TC. What does burn a bit is the cash grab changes implemented eg: SVOP etc. I was among the first handful in Sooke to get the inspection and at that time the Med A1 and A2 was required and at a fair cost when you take into account a week off work. Then three more days for the MROC more for first aid etc.

I am not saying it's bad, but the bottom line is 9 out of 10 single operators dont comply, not to mention lodges with TC inspec and cert, and no one is enforcing it, so why would they comply? Is the insurance really null if you are not TC inspected? I have my doubts !

www.tailspincharters.com

I asked that specific question to my brokers...they said no coverage in a liability case if your not in compliance with TC as an operator of the vessel. They said liability is hard to prove, but you know damn well any good attorney working for a plaintiff will work any deficiency for all its worth.

Back