Chanterelles

TenMile

udetusug.jpg

Good haul yesterday while we were out mushroom hunting. Got ourselves about 5-6lbs of the tasty guys.

Generally for freezing, I like to sautee them and get some of the liquid out. This time, there was probably about 1.5L of mushroom broth, so I decided to make a soup.

Took equal parts mushroom broth and water and added the following:

- 1/2 large white onion + 3 cloves garlic sauteed with Olive Oil -- added that to the mix of;

- 1 Cup Barley
- 3 peeled and sliced carrots
- lots of mushrooms
- some leftover pork loin
- 3 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp hot peppers
- 1 tsp rosemarie
- 1 tsp thyme

Just about as good as it gets.

sounds good !! how much longer does the season last for picking them ? Till it starts to freeze or ?

They are defiantly on the down swing had to pick thru alot of rotten ones but managed 2 five gallon bucket full but there are a bit sogger now need to find a bit of more of sloped areas so water can run off. found some RATHER large ones hence the photo LOL LOL

Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• chantrelles.jpg
    chantrelles.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 311
until the first or second frost ,, depending on elevation,, bamsterdam has got lots!!!

anyone know of good books covering species in colour? Our area has many different types and lots of em,, i need to know which are edible for food and which edible for fun.....

until the first or second frost ,, depending on elevation,, bamsterdam has got lots!!!

anyone know of good books covering species in colour? Our area has many different types and lots of em,, i need to know which are edible for food and which edible for fun.....

I've got a good colour book I got from Amazon called Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest: http://www.amazon.ca/Mushrooms-Pacific-Northwest-Timber-Press/dp/0881929352/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b -- its a very (very) detailed guide. If you want to identify every species of every mushroom you may encounter (including the recreational ones) this is the guide for you.

If you just want to find and eat and not kill yourself, might be better with this guide: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/155...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630048482&pf_rd_i=915398 -- given the price, I think I may order it myself.

Thats the book I have to Kildonian awesome book!!!!!! met him MANY years ago along with a few in the book he is a friend of people I know in the kootneys What good about the book is the color pictures very detailed pretty hard to screw up looking at the pics...
Buy that book trophy wife cant go wrong...

Good luck Wolf

ordered the book today.. thanks fellas!!

the pic on the cover tells it all,,, tux wearing long hair dude in the forest with a trumpet and a armful of shrooms...

=tuna week,, then zoomer week

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheldon and I made this one last weekend, modification of someone else's recipe, but way tastier.

Crab-and-Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chanterelle

6 ears fresh yellow corn
5 cups chicken broth
2 cups half & half
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 lb bacon ends ( cut into 1/4 inch pieces)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped white onion
1/2 cup finely chopped leeks
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 pound potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons butter
1- 2 lbs fresh chanterelles, thickly sliced
2 tablespoons dry Sherry
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
Meat from 2 - 3 shucked dungeonness crabs
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Cut kernels off corn cobs. Set kernels aside. Combine broth, and cream in heavy large saucepan. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add onion, leeks, celery, and fennel seeds to bacon drippings. Sauté until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in potatoes. Pour broth into potato mixture. Simmer until potatoes are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in corn kernels. Simmer chowder about 5 minutes longer.

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender. Stir in Sherry and thyme. Add mushroom mixture to chowder. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.

Sauté crab in same pot over medium-low heat until just heated through. Add crab and bacon to soup.
Serve in bowls with parsley sprinkled on top and a warm sourdough roll alongside!

You can stir in more whipping cream to thicken and simmer prior to serving if that's how you roll!

WhereTF is the " Like" button..

Sheldon and I made this one last weekend, modification of someone else's recipe, but way tastier.

Crab-and-Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chanterelle

6 ears fresh yellow corn
5 cups chicken broth
2 cups half & half
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 lb bacon ends ( cut into 1/4 inch pieces)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped white onion
1/2 cup finely chopped leeks
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 pound potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons butter
1- 2 lbs fresh chanterelles, thickly sliced
2 tablespoons dry Sherry
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
Meat from 2 - 3 shucked dungeonness crabs
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Cut kernels off corn cobs. Set kernels aside. Combine broth, and cream in heavy large saucepan. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add onion, leeks, celery, and fennel seeds to bacon drippings. Sauté until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in potatoes. Pour broth into potato mixture. Simmer until potatoes are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in corn kernels. Simmer chowder about 5 minutes longer.

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender. Stir in Sherry and thyme. Add mushroom mixture to chowder. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.

Sauté crab in same pot over medium-low heat until just heated through. Add crab and bacon to soup.
Serve in bowls with parsley sprinkled on top and a warm sourdough roll alongside!

You can stir in more whipping cream to thicken and simmer prior to serving if that's how you roll!

Early pick of them from September 6th. That is about one sixth of the haul!!!

Mostly can em.

Got to have some fresh of course while your canning em lol.

Canning away.....

Damn they are sum good fungi :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here Scupin it was the best in many many years this was one day as well, id go up hunting get a load of wood and mushrooms, I dry mine in oven then take the "juice" and make a HUGE pot of soup and freeze for later then Vacuum seal the shrooms in 4 oz portions for gravies,stews etc for later and freeze as well.

Attachments

• mushrooms.jpg
    mushrooms.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 119
  • dry mush.jpg
    dry mush.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 118
Back