Ceviche Recipe

Pippen

Hey Guys,

Thought I would share this recipe.....we always use black rockfish for this recipe and it is best if they are fresh. I am sure it would work fine with any other rockies and even halibut would likely be good. This is one of our happy hour preparations after a day out on the water. It's funny when we get a black rocky as my GF gets all excited and says....."Awesome!! Ceviche!!!" :p

There are no exact amounts of each ingredient as we vary it based on how much we are making. You'll be able to get a good idea as to how much in the way of veggies when you look at how much diced fish you have....generally about equal parts. The key is to ensure you have enough tequila and lime juice for the fish so that it does "cook". To give you an idea though as to ratios...this amount of tequila and lime is for one fish as we just made this last Saturday.

Diced Black Rockfish (halibut, yelloweye or other rockfish)
Diced red and yellow bell pepper
*option to also use diced tomato but just use the "meat" of the tomato leaving the seeds/liquid out.

1 jalepeno pepper – finely diced and seeded
Diced red onion
Lime juice (equal part to tequila but you may want to use a bit more. It's roughly the juice of about 2-3 limes)
1 oz tequila
TBSP good quality olive oil
Combine the above ingredients and let sit for about an hour (or more) – you can tell that the meat is “cooking” as it becomes more opaque

Just before serving season to taste salt and pepper and add coarsely chopped cilantro. (if you add the salt too early it will dry out the fish). Also if you don't like cilantro you can substitute italian parsley.

Serve it with tortilla chips, crackers or even crostinis which you can make up by just slicing up a baguette, brushing the pieces with olive oil a touch of salt and pepper toasting in the oven.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love making Cerviche and there are many different recipes but have never tried it with Rockfish and may have to give it a try. To date I have only used Halibut that has been well frozen for a few weeks first as I am parasite paranoid.

if you like raw try this

when your fillet your salmon trim off the meat close to the backbone and freeze it for a short time, then take some wasabi and mix it with soya sauce until well blended. Take the salmon and mix it in the sauce,pour a glass of your favouite wine and enjoy.

when your fillet your salmon trim off the meat close to the backbone and freeze it for a short time, then take some wasabi and mix it with soya sauce until well blended. Take the salmon and mix it in the sauce,pour a glass of your favouite wine and enjoy.

I have tried this and it is very good!

I have tried this and it is very good!

Yup.....I have done something very similar.

Also for those type of preparations I really like to use the belly as well.......YUMMY! I know you're "supposed" to freeze but I have on many an occasion cut the belly out of a salmon right after it's been bonked....pull out a ponzu or soy mixture and chop sticks.

Yup.....I have done something very similar.

Also for those type of preparations I really like to use the belly as well.......YUMMY! I know you're "supposed" to freeze but I have on many an occasion cut the belly out of a salmon right after it's been bonked....pull out a ponzu or soy mixture and chop sticks.

Anybody who has done this know why seals go nuts for fresh salmon. Yummmm!

Picked up a great ceviche idea at a winery restaurant a while back.

Serve your ceviche in a puddle of sauce made by blending an avocado with some coconut milk. Makes a beautiful, smooth, fatty accompaniment that balances the acidity of the ceviche nicely.

Hey Newfie Boy....

Not bread unless its a crostini.....ceviche lends itself the best to tortilla chips...GOOD ones. In saying that....there are some great gourmet crackers out there we also use.

ill at it with anything LOL but melba toast with cream cheese and them tiny tiny pickles that look like peas I just can remeber what they are called (mind went blank) sorry im sure someone on here will tell us.
Wolf

ill at it with anything LOL but melba toast with cream cheese and them tiny tiny pickles that look like peas I just can remeber what they are called (mind went blank) sorry im sure someone on here will tell us.
Wolf

Capers??????

THATS them thanks pippen!!! LOL
I also use them on my homemade rouladens when i did them hhhhmmm i think i have to go to the store now LOL LOL
dinner anyone???

wolf

Hey Wolf......try "deep" frying them in oil to put on dishes as well. They crisp up and almost "pop" open.....when they get to that point pull them out of the oil and let them drain on paper towel and hit them with a pinch of good coarse sea salt.

They are awesome to add as almost a 'garnish' for sauces on fish.....a simple one is just butter/garlic and a bit of sauteed onions.....and in some chopped up sundried tomatoes and a bit of chopped parsley right before serving and add some cripsed capers on top. Oustanding on any west coast fish.

Back