Caution urged over smoking salmon; cooking method may cause cancer

Derby

Crew Member
Two University of British Columbia researchers are trying to find out whether the way First Nations in British Columbia have been smoking salmon for generations is actually carcinogenic.
But B.C.’s deputy provincial health officer is urging caution, saying one of the unintended consequences of such a study is to cause aboriginal people to mistrust their own traditional foods.
A research project being led by David Kitts and Kevin Allen – food scientists in the food, nutrition and health program at UBC – is looking at the presence of cancer-causing chemicals in smoked salmon prepared in old-style wood smokehouses.
Cooking wild game or fish in these smokehouses requires extreme heat, which can result in polyaromatic hydrocarbons tainting the fish.
Previous studies have shown that high levels of polyaromatic hydrocarbons like benzo(a)pyrene – a cancer-causing chemical – are found in smoked fish.
Benzo(a)pyrene is a byproduct of incomplete combustion and is found in cigarette smoke, grilled and broiled foods, gasoline and wood.
The study will test and evaluate the fish down to the microbial level to determine exactly how high the toxicity levels are.
“There is a threshold that we accept and there is a threshold that we get concerned about,” Dr. Kitts said. “When a concentration goes above that threshold in a food system or an environmental space, then flags go up.”
Initial tests run by Dr. Kitts revealed that traditional methods of smoked preservation – where a longer duration “full smoke” is used – had higher levels of benzo(a)pyrene that were “equal to or higher than the target level of safety.”
The two researchers have partnered with the Lake Babine Nation and Nee Tahi Buhn, two First Nations communities in Burns Lake, B.C., where community members eat traditionally preserved foods such as smoked salmon.
Dr. Evan Adams, B.C.’s deputy provincial health officer and senior medical adviser to the First Nations Health Authority, said scientists involved in this kind of research must tread carefully.
“We receive a number of questions from First Nations communities asking around the safety of their traditional foods – it’s a very common question,” said Dr. Adams, who is from the Sliammon Band near Powell River. “We spend a lot of time reassuring them that their traditional foods are safe and healthy.”
Dr. Kitts said one option for reducing the carcinogenic risks associated with smoking salmon is to use modern smokehouses with an external generator that allows control over temperatures and smoking time. Smoking salmon in wood-framed smokehouses, he said, is not a “controlled process.”
But Dr. Adams said electric smokehouses are not sustainable and should not be considered as an alternative to traditional methods.
He said a more participatory approach to such studies in which they are co-led with First Nations would ensure that the research agenda is driven by the concerns of communities and not by “individuals.”
“If you ask a community what their concerns are for the people, diabetes and cancer would make the list,” Dr. Adams said, “but polyaromatic hydrocarbons wouldn’t.”
“Alcohol, cigarettes, lousy food and lack of exercise kill a lot of people,” Dr. Adams said, “but I have never heard of a polyaromatic hydrocarbon killing a First Nations.”
Derrick George has been smoking salmon in traditional wood-framed smokehouses that he builds with his own hands for nearly 40 years and he is skeptical of the study.
For Mr. George, preserving salmon through this method is more than just a long-held tradition. In the past, it provided sustenance through the winter for the hundreds of members of the Tsleil-Waututh First Nation.
“I don’t know anybody that’s died of cancer from my smoked salmon. I don’t think I would stop. I’ve got it perfected and I’m teaching my boys.”
The results of the research will be released when the study concludes in June, 2015.

DAMN and i built one too LOL LOL

seems like a lot of bunk too me
Smoking salmon in wood-framed smokehouses, he said, is not a “controlled process.”

Well i beg to difer on that I can control the temp very easily at 150 to 160 which ever i prefer....

Just hauled out some salmon now think ill smoke some this week.... anyone want some cancer causing white spring???? LMAO.....

it seems like its not the temp on the salmon that causes issues, but rather the smoke itself is depositing carcinogens on the fish. Make sense, just like how its not the nicotine that kills you, but rather the toxic chemical smoke used to deliver the nicotine.

I couldn't imagine this causing anybody problems, unless it was a staple item they had for dinner every couple of days.

I can't eat native style smoked Salmon it's cooked (I beg your pardon) half to death with a wooden board like consistency.

As a public service, I am prepared to accept all recent contaminated hazardous waste smoked salmon, sausage, cheese and bacon and most barbecued anything and store it until such time as we are able to dispose of it through an organic metabolic disposal process. Depending on the severity of the hazardous waste threat I may even be willing to travel with some sterilizing alcohol solution and assist you with the organic metabolic disposal process and to remove any residual hazardous waste upon my departure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give me a break... I don't think the cancer rate amongst first nations people historically has been that high however I am sure that you can massage stats and results to prove almost anything you want

Just one more study that our tax dollars will fund. This is an example of why Governments have been reducing scientific projects. This sounds like a make work project to spend tax money.

YUP your right FA sorry guys ill no longer let you sample the stuff I make dont want to be held liable down the future unless of course you sign a waiver!!!!!!!!!!!! dont want any of you to get cancer..... imagine how much you would have to eat.. LMAO and like rockfish said dont include any ummm beverages of non pop variety...

I am with Rockfish. I'll gladly accept any and all toxic smoked salmon. I'm willing to die well fed.

Those researchers are very creative. They asked themselves: "How can I get an unlimited supply of smoked salmon, pay for my brine, and get paid to run my smoker....hmmmm?"

Hmmm! Wonder if the also mean second hand smoke? If not, it would be okay if you were given the smoked salmon. :)

interesting, the last couple times standing choking over the BBQ, I've pondered as to why my wife will likely live 20 years longer than I. The same occurs to me as I sit here with a beer and she's on the tread mill :) Damn that smoked fish is good.

As a public service, I am prepared to accept all recent contaminated hazardous waste smoked salmon, sausage, cheese and bacon and most barbecued anything and store it until such time as we are able to dispose of it through an organic metabolic disposal process. Depending on the severity of the hazardous waste threat I may even be willing to travel with some sterilizing alcohol solution and assist you with the organic metabolic disposal process and to remove any residual hazardous waste upon my departure.

Ha ha - could the alcohol solution be a smoky old single malt?

Ha ha - could the alcohol solution be a smoky old single malt?

Cheers Foxsea. Hope you are doing well. I will phone you in the summer. If you wish and can make it down this way we can get out off Sooke in my boat for some fishing and I have some vacuum packed toxic waste maple cured candied smoked Coho and a little smokey single malt toxic waste you could take a risk on.

I think the last time we talked in person was when we were both among the few anglers that showed up for the DFO sponsored feedback session on the Halibut quota transfer process a couple of years back. Nice of DFO to give us the opportunity to provide them feedback but not surprisingly they appear to be completely ignoring angler feedback and want to make the failed and despised Halibut ITQ experimental system permanent. In my view that was always their plan but now they will be able to say they did so in consultation with sports fishermen/public which I suspect was the only reason they held those meetings. It gives the Feds. a little PR help with the press release when they make it permanent. Hope I have sufficient reference to smoke to give this post the illusion of thread relevance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back