Cattle Point

tinboatrobb

I noticed this morning that the second ramp at Cattle Point is now blocked off and not usable. I am waiting for an answer from Oak Bay as to why that is. That ramp gets a lot of use by those of use with small boats.

I noticed this morning that the second ramp at Cattle Point is now blocked off and not usable. I am waiting for an answer from Oak Bay as to why that is. That ramp gets a lot of use by those of use with small boats.
I saw municipal employees looking at the first ramp yesterday and I hoped they were going to fix the wood
With a little luck maybe they are going to upgrade the other one??? Another day off?

I saw municipal employees looking at the first ramp yesterday and I hoped they were going to fix the wood
With a little luck maybe they are going to upgrade the other one??? Another day off?
nope, on my way to work. I bet they will make the second ramp for paddle boarders and kyakers only.

Back in the day I preferred the second ramp, especially when it was windy. It's pretty rough now. Cattle Pt is pretty well used in the summer. Perhaps a seasonal wharf could be justified if at all feasible.
I'm amazed how many very expensive, pristine glass boats are launched there with those steel rods sticking up on one side and rocks on the other. I'd be spending my $10 and launching elsewhere.

Back in the day I preferred the second ramp, especially when it was windy. It's pretty rough now. Cattle Pt is pretty well used in the summer. Perhaps a seasonal wharf could be justified if at all feasible.
I'm amazed how many very expensive, pristine glass boats are launched there with those steel rods sticking up on one side and rocks on the other. I'd be spending my $10 and launching elsewhere.
We prefer the second ramp for the tinner, often it is more sheltered than the big one.

The problem with Cattle point #1 ramp is that it's exposed to the winter south east storms.
40 knot winds and 1500 lb logs will eventually destroy anything.
They should go back to bolting a hard rubber/plastic molding to the concrete.
Not perfect, but it lasted a lot longer.

Last edited:
Maybe they could build a better ramp with floats and trailer parking as part of the Turkey Head redev. I would even pay for that. Oh wait too late :mad:. Even with its current shortcomings, free ramp and parking at Cattle is nice to have. Make use of a strip of keel guard!

Was told that ramp #2 was closed due to unsafe conditions
with no plan to fix it this year.
At the peak of summer no less.
What a **** show it will be at ramp #1

Love Cattle point. Never used ramp #2 as there is no where to tie up boat.

Sent an email. My biggest safety issue is cars and bikes speeding into the parking area. Perhaps a speed hump would at least dismount the cyclists before they careen into my boat trailer as I'm trying to navigate amongst bemused pedestrians.

If you have an issue contact David Brozuk
at Oak bay public works
dbrozuk@oakbay.ca
If you think this does not concern you because you use the first ramp think again.If they close the second ramp they probably will close the first ramp the way things are going these days! Saying it is unsafe I just used it two days ago. The second ramp is more protected on certain winds and can also take the pressure off the first ramp on busy days like weekends. It has been there for sixty years, Imagine how many have used it. Contact oak bay with your concerns.

If you think this does not concern you because you use the first ramp think again.If they close the second ramp they probably will close the first ramp the way things are going these days! Saying it is unsafe I just used it two days ago. The second ramp is more protected on certain winds and can also take the pressure off the first ramp on busy days like weekends. It has been there for sixty years, Imagine how many have used it. Contact oak bay with your concerns.
100 %
even if you don't use it, can you imagine the extra traffic on the other ramp ?
on a sunny weekend expect long waits getting on and off the water.

Reply from David Brozuk:

"An assessment has been performed on the two boat ramps at Cattle Point.

The North ramp has been closed to vehicles due to safety concerns. The safety concerns are due to the state of the concrete which has large cracks and holes in it.

Public Works has explored short term options to re-open it and we are preforming repairs today. Hopefully it will be good for launching by the weekend. A long term maintenance plan with further improvements is also being investigated."

Government, at all levels, is so risk averse now. That north ramp is perfect for me and a 14 foot tinny. There’s lots of us out there. As mentioned, if I (we) 14 foot tin boat crowd use the north ramp, it takes pressure off the south ramp.

At least it sounds like they will fix it.

Back