cattle point boat launch

Luckyg

New to the forum, so please excuse rookie mistakes I may make or asking of any questions that have been beat to death. I have a new to me boat and getting ready to experience the local water. I have done lots of lake fishing and am comfortable with launching and retrieving my boat from lakes.... But we all know the ocean is a different can of worms. So far I have onyl been launching from island view, and its a pretty quiet pretty easy launch.

TOmorrow I am hoping to launch from cattle point, which from my reviewing this forum, looks like a tricky launch. I know its narrow and busy.

My question, what do people do with their boat after they have launched? do you just wait in the ramp with it while the truck gets parked? head out then come back in? try to tie off to that little ramp?

My inclination, in looking at the ramps was to launch from the gravel ramp at the north end and then I could just beach my boat while I parked. The gravel is a little friendlier on the hull of my aluminum boat than the concrete.

Anyway, any advice that can be offered will be good. Otherwise I will just leave myself lots of time and watch a bunch of others do it before i go.

Thanks

Cattle point can be tough launch if you are by yourself.
There is no choice but to pull your boat up on the ramp or tie to the cement walk down the side.
Best to have a partner to hold your boat while you park and go up to get your boat.
Don't use the East side ramp with a low tide under 4' or so as it goes flat and is impossible to get your boat up if you launch at high tide and try and come on on a low tide.
If a South East wind comes up you will have nothing but grief on the west side.
At high tide on the West ramp, DONT head east over the reef. Seen that happen many times before.
At hight tide on the East ramp watch for a rock on the south side.
Probably too much information...
Having said all that, we have used the ramp for over 40 years without any serious incident.
We will probably go our from Cattle Point ramp in the AM ourselves.
Good Luck

I think that Mr. craven should chime in here. He is the unofficial admirial of oak bay!!!!

:) The main ramp is pretty decent but as others have said, there are some issues.
Beware of a southeast wind on a falling tide.
the big problem right now is that the rubber bumper is all broken and falling off.
Most of the tie off cleats are missing as well.
If you have a pristeen hull, you won't want to launch without a buddy.
I installed a keelguard on my boat a few years ago that helps prevent damage.

Cattle point is a brutal launch. I think its one of the worst launches. I wish Oak Bay would do something about this. First off the ramp is great at High or a mid tide. But launching is a different story. There is no place to tie your boat up so it requires 2 people for sure and maybe 3 people if it is windy. If it is windy. Good luck its a nightmare with a bigger boat. Lots of rocks on both sides, make sure you use your sounder and don't put down your engine all the way. Just enough so you can get the hell our of there. Its bascially one boat in and one boat out rules, but its a nightmare if you are trying to come in and its busy. I would never ever launch a new boat from this place thats for sure. Good luck.

Back