Catch of the Day

Nice way go KK, I saw you and your dad. I caught 2 perch and no trout. The blue heron ate the perch!

Im going to tie chroni's with the same materials as the leeches and try them next time! I will most likly be onto coho's by next weekend. But you never know maybe I will do coho in the AM and Trout in the PM. I LOVE where we live!

-KK

Good Idea! I would do that.

Discus

Yes the perch are a pain. Might have to give them a go as Hali bait or might even try and eat a few you never know!

Should have boated over and introduced yourself Discus!

-KK

Yes the perch are a pain. Might have to give them a go as Hali bait or might even try and eat a few you never know!

Should have boated over and introduced yourself Discus!

-KK

saw you guys in a distance catching several fish...plus I heard a big excitement from you guys that you caught a big hog...saw it...congrats! I was with Discus waiting for a bite.

Looks like tying my micro leech pattern in chironomids works out well. My Dad and I landed 20+ fish with the biggest just a tad over 24". I also sight casted to one in the early morning that was 20" and what an explosive take. Nearly jolted the rod from my hands!

Dad got the 24" I watched it come up on the sounder and grab his fly 5 feet from bottom. Took him to backing right along the surface pushing water the whole way! We knew it was a nice one. Fight was 10+ mins and most of it was within sight of the surface.

-KK

I'm callin PETA on you ;)

Looks like tying my micro leech pattern in chironomids works out well. My Dad and I landed 20+ fish with the biggest just a tad over 24". I also sight casted to one in the early morning that was 20" and what an explosive take. Nearly jolted the rod from my hands!

Dad got the 24" I watched it come up on the sounder and grab his fly 5 feet from bottom. Took him to backing right along the surface pushing water the whole way! We knew it was a nice one. Fight was 10+ mins and most of it was within sight of the surface.

-KK

NICE! I will be out on saturday hopefully chasing the big fish. :) Jeffy are you going to be out there?? How were you fishing the chironomids, under indicators I assume? Its not that deep where you were fishing.

Cuba-whats freeze up? ;) we dont get that on the south island, fishing with chironomids is great over winter but its super deep water.

Kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
KK is that the secret lake in Duncan area??, Kunni i am going out tomorrow in the Nanaimo lakes will have to see about langford for sat or sunday, fly back to work on tuesday

You must have my location wrong its 28ft deep. I dont indicator fish that deep. I just hang them down on sinking lines and then run an indicator rod down wind. But most of the time the indicator rod is on a 10 ft leader and I play with the slip indicator.

If I am out on sat or sun you will be sure to see where I am. But I moved 4 times today. and the other day I moved 3. Its more a time of day and certain hatch of chironomids.

Pumped like 6 different kinds in one fish today. Watched all of them hatch out of my glass dish in the boat. Super cool!

-KK

I could learn alot just from watching the two of you south island slayers fish.. so will i need a full sinking line and chironomid patterns to land these fish or can a drag around some micro leeches and have some success?

LOL Yeah, My Dads fish. I just seem to hold on to tem better :p No you can troll micro leeches. But from like 10-2 they seem to be crusing bottom feeding on chironomids. This is when you want to fish super slow and drag it right down in there face!

Good luck maybe see you on the water one of the days! I will hook you up with some flies :)

-KK

You must have my location wrong its 28ft deep. I dont indicator fish that deep. I just hang them down on sinking lines and then run an indicator rod down wind. But most of the time the indicator rod is on a 10 ft leader and I play with the slip indicator.

If I am out on sat or sun you will be sure to see where I am. But I moved 4 times today. and the other day I moved 3. Its more a time of day and certain hatch of chironomids.

Pumped like 6 different kinds in one fish today. Watched all of them hatch out of my glass dish in the boat. Super cool!

-KK

Nice, slip indicators are awsome, but yeah they are more for 15 feet and under when it comes to water depth. I will say hi if I see you out tomorrow, looking forward to my first trip in 3 weeks! yikes I need to get out more.:)

Kunni

Hit Langford this AM with Mike. It was really bumping from about 6:45-8:45am fish all over the surface. Just sight casting to the sipers and nailing nice trout. Then we tried trolling until about 10 and threw the anchors down after little luck trolling. Hung some chironomids for a bit and then got a suprise. A solid smallie on a chironomid. What a battle!

At noon Mike went to work and I picked my dad up at the launch. I know I fish alot. I must be crazy or somthing. Got back out and anchored up and hung some more chironomids it wasent long after getting set up I got a nice little trout about 16" really nice fight for its size.

About an hour later my Dads rod gets a light little tap and he sets the hook. Holy Smokes! Another big fish. This time getting a couple feet of air the 4+ pound smallie cleared the water! What a blast on a 5# fly rod! I might have to try targeting them with light gear one day!

-KK

Hit Langford this AM with Mike. It was really bumping from about 6:45-8:45am fish all over the surface. Just sight casting to the sipers and nailing nice trout. Then we tried trolling until about 10 and threw the anchors down after little luck trolling. Hung some chironomids for a bit and then got a suprise. A solid smallie on a chironomid. What a battle!

At noon Mike went to work and I picked my dad up at the launch. I know I fish alot. I must be crazy or somthing. Got back out and anchored up and hung some more chironomids it wasent long after getting set up I got a nice little trout about 16" really nice fight for its size.

About an hour later my Dads rod gets a light little tap and he sets the hook. Holy Smokes! Another big fish. This time getting a couple feet of air the 4+ pound smallie cleared the water! What a blast on a 5# fly rod! I might have to try targeting them with light gear one day!

-KK

nice, glen lake has some awesome smallmouth fishing if you can get a boat down there I have accidentally caught them when fishing for trout. Looks like you got a new sounder on your boat? How do ya like it?

Kunni

Sounder is epic if you know how to tinker with the settings. I can tell when a fish is biting my fly and i just lift the rod and its on ;) LOL

Best $ i ever spent for fishing!

-KK

Back