Catch and Release

Fishing Guide

Cheers All,

Interesting topic developed around Catch and Release tonight and am interested in others take on the issue.

The issue relvolves, strangely enough, around Catch and Release. Wednesday I was out off Nanaimo (Fingers Area) and had probably the best time in many years fishing which involved catching and releasing many fish. Should a person go out, catch his fish and then stop or is it an acceptable position to fish practicing catch and release?

To clarify: I did catch my legal limit. I ensured that I released fish after 'bonking' my first so that I could continue to enjoy the fantastic day's fishing and ensured my second (last) kept fish ended my day.

I am interested in your take....

Sincerely,

Fishing Guide

I've got a problem with catch and release of salmon in our waters. I believe the salmon is weakened and is much more likely to be taken by a seal or it might just plain die from the stress.There is also the chance of catching undersize that may also die. This is just my opinion.

Depending on the type of gear you were using you could be looking at a 15 to 25% post release mortality. Having some experience studying stress physiology in salmonids I personally don't think they lend themselves well to catch and release fishing.

I'm in the catchem and go home camp.
Not going to fault others who may do c&r, and if they are knowledgable enough to know that a fish they are going to release should be quickly brought to the boat and released in the water, so be it.
But the tools who let the fish fight to exhaustion, net it, then haul aboard for pictures ... duh!

I seem to recall Washington has, or had, a regulation that if the fish crossed the gunwale - it was a keeper. Get your limit and you're done fishing. Purpose was to stop highgrading and prevent unnecessary trauma to released fish by mandating in the water releases without netting. Perhaps one of our American members will comment if this is the case.

If the fishing is good or people wanna stay out all day and leave with there limit I'll convince them to leave a spot open for a bleeder or atleast try ( I've been in the situation of a limited boat and a gill hooked fish gets released over the side) it sucks If you have your limit head in and have a cold one

Washington Rules… as requested? But, I an not sure I understand why?

"Handling Rule:
In Areas 5-13, it is illegal to bring a wild SALMON
or a species of SALMON aboard a vessel if it
is unlawful to retain those SALMON. "Aboard a
vessel" is defined as inside the gunwale."

First, I agree with both Brisco and kngfsh7 !

I have to admit, years ago, I have done exactly what you did and, for the same reason! Would I do it now? I personally would NOT! For the reasons mentioned!

Now, when I catch a fish… I usually</u> keep it, as long as it is legal. When I get my limit, I'm done! Or, I target another species. But being the first one "back in", is fun, too!

There have been a lot of studies regarding catch and release of salmon. The best one Idaho, 1987; which became the basis for Washington going to a "single barbless hook". The study showed a very low mortality rate for released salmon, using single barbless hooks versus a treble. The only problem I have with their study and our program, is MOST anglers DO NOT know how to properly release a fish! It is MY opinion the mortality rate is much higher than their studies show, due to that!

Is it legal and practiced? Yep!

If you to do it! You should plan to use some techniques known to be less harmful to the fish! Anyone feel free to add to this list! This didn't come from any study, just me!

1. (single, non barbed hooks, preferably "Circle" hooks)
2. Do not over play the fish, it will die!
3. Only in an area NOT prone to "Wild" runs. I think that would rule out many areas, including Nanaimo.
4. Only in an area known to be hatchery fish.
5. Handle the fish as little as possible, not touching it with dry hands!
6. Do Not bring it on board!
7. Use a soft mesh net.
8. Remember, if it is bleeding, it is dead!

"The main cause of mortality in released sport-caught fish is organ and gill damage. This damage occurs when a fish is “deep-hooked,” that is the hook catches in the fish’s gut when it is set by the angler."

Again, I personally do not condemn it, but I certainly do not have to condone it, in certain areas!

I am not a big fan of catch and release particularly for salmon or steelhead when they are on their spawning run in the fresh water. These fish are non-feeders and only have a certain amount of stored energy to complete their mission. Every time it is caught and released some of that stored energy is used up and less is available for spawning. As a result the spawning will be less successful.

It is my belief that this practise has contributed to the lack of steelhead in the east coast rivers of Vancouver Island inspite the years of non-retention of wild fish.

catch and release is all rite depending on how there hooked if you get 2 deep hooked or bleeders rite off the rattle your done but if there lip hooked and you don't play them to death let em go.

Hey Fishing Guide, what's done is done and it's easy now to look back but just remember it was just you and it was probably the best day you ever had and may ever have.You did nothing illegal and I'm sure the fish you released are fine(I.m sure you know what your'e doin)It's a day you'll never forget, and I'm sure everyone on here would love to be in your shoes that day....enjoy it.BRS

I think if the seals or sea lions are around the released fish is a gonner!!! Around here the sound of your reel has turned into a dinner bell!!! Proper release procedures would help, unfortunately with fishing, (unlike hunting where a course is required), fishers do not have to know what they are doing to fish, only go to the gas station and buy a license. Perhaps a course, with a test , on proper fishing techniques, and edicate, would be a plus for the fish, and fishers.

I'm in the phone fish assassin camp to take care of your extras.

Take only what you need.[8D]

Nothing wrong with C&R. Matter of fact I do it every chance I get. Did it yesterday at Kitty with one that was undersized. If I were to box out and go home, my fishing trips ($$$) to the WCVI would be little more than a short boat ride. I can see it now. Buddy and I, 3am drive to Gold River. Lines down by 7. Two double headers in the boat and off the water. Home by noon. Not my idea of a fishing trip. If it was about the meat I think I would give up this sport because I can buy it in the store for a lot less money. Get your limit and get off the water, no problem but not for me.
GLG

Fishing Guide you did good, and I can only hope that I can have a day like you had.

while some might say they would head in, I personally don't believe anybody when they say that. Any the mortality studies show mature springs fair very well to C&R - its the little 4-6lb feeders that have a 15-30% mortality rate.

You either haven't gotten the chance to release a lot of big fish or you are a sucker for leaving a once in a lifetime fishing experience.

Pure jealousy if anybody gives you a hard time FG - we fish for the fight and you just caught more fish in a day then most do in a year.

anybody that say they would go in on a day like you had is full of it.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

Pure jealousy if anybody gives you a hard time FG - we fish for the fight and you just caught more fish in a day then most do in a year.

Yep, and he did it with an average of one fish every nine minutes while handling three double headers, checking gear for junk and ensuring a safe release of all fish that were not wanted. He also did it on a sloppy windy day. That is an accomplishment in itself! For anyone to successfully land and release every fish hooked is quite a task, especially when fishing by yourself. Good on you sir! Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

while some might say they would head in, I personally don't believe anybody when they say that. Any the mortality studies show mature springs fair very well to C&R - its the little 4-6lb feeders that have a 15-30% mortality rate.

You either haven't gotten the chance to release a lot of big fish or you are a sucker for leaving a once in a lifetime fishing experience.

Troll ???? [?]
Poppa... we are saying the same thing, just in different ways! :)

quote:I have to admit, years ago, I have done exactly what you did and, for the same reason! Would I do it now? I personally would NOT! For the reasons mentioned!
Maybe I need to clarify, just a little! :D
I, personally woould not do it... as I have done it, many times in the past!</u> and I don't need that "rush" anymore and I would NOT do it in an area where I was picking up "known" "wild".

A lot of times, when I take others out, I now, just drive the boat and help answer questions they have. I really enjoy, watching others catch their </u> first "big" fish and the expressions on the faces! That... has became my main "rush", over the years! But, don't take that wrong! I still love catching fish! :D

But, to give you an example... this year I am taking my son-in-law and nephew up to Port Renfrew. If I find myself in that situation off of Renfrew!... THEY ARE GOING TO CATCH A LOT OF FISH! :D

and I agree, it very well could be a... "it is a once in a lifetime experience"!

BTW... I do not think the mortility rate is that high even on feeders, at least I hope not! I stated the survival</u> rate is "high", if the fish are handled correctly, but, I still believe most are not and when they aren't the mortality sky rockets!

And, with all that being said... I still would NOT do it in an area where I was picking up known "Wild"!

The ones I have caught run about 50% hatchery, so they all problably are from a hatchery somewhere.

Take only what you need.

As a beginner I am still waiting to get out on the water . I read every word here and even though I am getting long in the tooth I can still be taught an example and I am looking here for guidance as many younger folks are. What is written here could be the forming of new fishing people and the boundaries set may be done from what is written here. This not to be taken as a criticism but more of an observation.
I love to fish and love watching others enjoy the sport and I am constantly watching others for guidance.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Released my share of fish in Nootka sound and once in Saanich inlet had a real good day. Try my best to do it right , those days are rare and don't happen often for the weekend angler. They stay with you for years like the big ones you have caught and the fish that got away

Back