Carp in the fraser...wtf?

Little Hawk

Just heard on the news that they've caught some carp in the Fraser.

Waiting to hear confirmation of what species. Could be a big-deal if they're the Asian variety that's plaguing the Mississippi basin...

I hope so the Fraser have no carp. If Fraser have some carp..... it s possible someone released gold fish or Koi or other fish from ponds.

As posted by others this is just sensationalist journalism. Common carp have been in the Fraser and all the drains, sloughs and side channels leading thereto for years. I have caught them in Richmond, Pitt Meadows, the Okanagan and elswhere since the eighties. I am sure they were there long before that.
The common carp is a different fish from the silver, bighead or grass carp. The common is in Elk Lake and has been the subject of much discussion in another thread. Common carp grow grow in excess of 60 lbs and can run and fight like crazy........

As posted by others this is just sensationalist journalism. Common carp have been in the Fraser and all the drains, sloughs and side channels leading thereto for years. I have caught them in Richmond, Pitt Meadows, the Okanagan and elswhere since the eighties. I am sure they were there long before that.
Back in the early days of the net I remember someone posting about bow hunting for Carp somewhere in the Pitt system-it was totally legal since they aren't (or weren't @ the time) considered sport fish.

Okay, cool!

Now... back at the fishfarmers!

Back in the early days of the net I remember someone posting about bow hunting for Carp somewhere in the Pitt system-it was totally legal since they aren't (or weren't @ the time) considered sport fish.

Folks use a cross bow at Wood Lake here in the Valley for them. It is legal.

My buddy Larry and I used bows and arrows trying to shoot Carp in the late '50's near Pitt River across the road from the Wild Duck Inn more or less. Lots of sloughs around there had Carp.

Take care.

I read a funny story once about carp fishing in a book called "Urban Fishing". A hardcore fly fisherman on an extended stay in Japan, jonesing for some fishing. He ends up taking a long subway ride to some tucked away little stream in Tokyo, and fly fishes with a "bread fly" for carp.... one of those WTF moments for him, but had a good time.

Anyways, here's a weird little video of the same thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAxEngvPleY

Do what you have to do, I guess. ;-)

Wild Duck Inn

Famous at one time for being the first and only strip club in BC with a hydraulic stripper pole. The good folks that ran The Duck also at one time ran my high school cafeteria. Still not sure how I feel about that. haha

^^ I don't like your user name

AMEjI.gif

:D

Back