Carnage continues in Port Alberni..

Islandgirl

from Bob Cole July 14

"Nope.
It’s commercial fishing as usual starting one minute after it closes Friday morning.
The natives were able to keep the nigh time gillnetters out to Lone Tree rather than Polly’s.
There is an opening in the Skeena that may attract some more commercial boats away.
"
Somass harvest comimitte July 14 bulletin
SOCKEYE FORECAST: The July 14, 2011 forecast total return of Somass Sockeye to the terminal fishing area remains at 1,400,000. The escapement goal is 513,600. The total allowable catch for combined harvest in the terminal area is 886,400.
ESCAPEMENT: Total Somass sockeye escapement through July 13 is estimated at approximately 695,800 adults. Approximately 333,600 adults have entered Sproat Lake and approximately 365,800 have reached Great Central Lake. River conditions continue positive for sockeye migration with higher than normal flows and moderate temperatures.
BIOLOGICAL INFORMATION: Biological samples are collected from the test-boat and from commercial and First Nations fisheries in Alberni Inlet and Barkley Sound. 1000 sockeye have been sampled in the test-fishery to date.
TEST-FISHING: The test-boat began operations on June 13. The purpose of the test-fishery is to estimate abundance of sockeye in Barkley Sound and in the Alberni Inlet and to collect biological specimens for assessment of age and stock composition and parasite load. The test-fishery uses a combination of acoustic soundings and seine sets to determine the abundance of sockeye. Sockeye abundance from the July 11 to is estimated at 15,000 for outside areas and 10-12,000 for inner Alberni Inlet. The estimated stock composition was 41%:54%:5% and 33%:68% and 0% GCL:Sproat:Henderson Lake sockeye for outside and inside areas, respectively.
For updated weekly test-fishing catch information please visit the following website:
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/salmon/testfish/default.htm

ABORIGINAL FISHING: Somass River First Nations sockeye catch to date is estimated at approximately 60,057 from a combination of two days per week gill-netting and from weekly communal drag-seine fishing at Papermill Dam.
Maa nulth First Nations have harvested an estimated 10,350 sockeye to date in 2011.
COMMERCIAL FISHING: Area D gill net vessels fished 2 p.m., July 8 to 2 p.m., July 15 this week in Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet. Gill-net catch is estimated at 191,825 to date.
Twenty seine vessels fished from Monday July 11 to noon, Friday July 15. Catch for this fishery was 18,039 sockeye. Catch to date for seine is 162,258 sockeye. Average weight in the most recent seine fishery was 4.36 lbs.
RECREATIONAL FISHING: The Alberni Inlet recreational fishery has caught an estimated 41,312 sockeye to July 13, including 34,012 in ocean and 7,300 in tidal-water river fisheries.
Next Week’s Fishing Plans, as Determined by the Area 23 Harvest Committee:
Aboriginal – Discussions were concluded June 30 with the signing by both First Nations of an economic opportunity agreement. Fishing plans will be developed and implemented over the next week. Plans may include a combination of river and Inlet gill-net fishing and contract seine fishing in Alberni Inlet.
Commercial - Area D gill-net will fish starting at 6am Tuesday July 19 to 2 p.m. Friday July 22 in the same Barkley Sound / Alberni Inlet areas as the July 8 to 15 fishery except to Lonetree Point and not Polly Point, and from 2 p.m. to 4 a.m. daily in Alberni Inlet between Bilton Point and Lonetree Point.
Area B seine opens at 10:01 a.m. Friday, July 15 to 10:00 a.m. Friday, July 22 from Dunsmuir Point to the clock tower in Port Alberni harbour and a portion of area 23-2 southerly of a line from ten mile to Hook Bay.
Recreational – Fishing continues at 4 per day in Alberni Inlet. Tidal portions of Somass River continue at 2 per day with no night fishing.
For more information please contact the DFO office in Port Alberni at 250 720-4440 or go on-line to:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Opportunities/PN/A23&123BarkleyChinookPN.pdf for the Area 23 Recreational Chinook Fishery Notice or
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Opportunities/PN/A23&123BarkleyCohoPN.pdf for the Area 23 Recreational Coho Fishery Notice

SUMMARY:
Pre-season forecast: 600,000
Expected Stock/Age Composition: 48% Great Central, 52% Sproat Sockeye;
25%, 62%, 7% and 6% for age 42, 52, 53 and 63 adults, respectively. Moderate Henderson
sockeye return expected (e.g. 45,000)
Escapement to July 13: ~695,800 (365,200 Great Central, 330,600 Sproat Lake)
Test Fishery: Inlet Estimate 10 to 12K inside; 15K outside
Catch Estimate: ~ 449,500 adults (66,600 Somass First Nation; 4000 MNA First Nation;
196,825 Commercial Gillnet; 147,759 Commercial Seine; 41,400 Recreational; 1000 Test
Fishery (biological samples).
In-season reforecast: (July 6) 1,400,000; Escapement Target: 513,600; TAC: 886,400

I do find it funny that Port does not even have a fish plant or sell diesel fuel. the commercial guys have to run to Ukee to off load and get fuel....how is this fishery benefiting the town of PA?????

Cheers

SS

I do find it funny that Port does not even have a fish plant or sell diesel fuel. the commercial guys have to run to Ukee to off load and get fuel....how is this fishery benefiting the town of PA?????

Cheers

SS
Port Alberni does not benefit at all with the commie fleet.
Very very sad what has happened here...
What will it take to change it??
I honestly dont know..maybe marching in the streets and getting political.. ?
I forwarded my letters to Harper, duncan and Lunney and no replies, not even an acknowledgement they got them...???
I have not spawned but I feel very sorry for the next generation of anglers.. because there will not be any opportunity for it..much like the east coast.

Sorry to tell you that more of Jimmy P's seine boats are on the way, almost got run down by one in Oak Bay this afternoon.

How do you think you are going to fight someone who owns the entire commercial fishing fleet and all of the processing plants.
icon_question.gif

It is the same "Rape Pillage and Burn" mentality that destroyed the east coast cod fishery.
icon_exclaim.gif

Friggin eyesore coming back from Bamfield sunday.
Plus you had to watch out for nets.
Sad

The only way I see change is to get the Town Council and the Chamber screaming at Lunney.. just like halibut--- notice that is quiet on butts now?? WHY? We have to keep the pressure pot steaming ... Right now, I am being told that people are too busy making a living to write more letters ..... really weak excuse. Come on folks, dont leave these issues to a few people

Who will take us politically serious anymore after we failed to show some of them clowns a red card? They probably just laugh at us and anything we will do from now on. They know they can let us bark without any consequences. Sorry, but I lost a lot of faith.

Who will take us politically serious anymore after we failed to show some of them clowns a red card? They probably just laugh at us and anything we will do from now on. They know they can let us bark without any consequences. Sorry, but I lost a lot of faith.

Hate to say it but I agree. Won't stop me from writing letters and making phone calls though.
Dave

Back