Capt. Phil Harris dies at 53

Sushihunter

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...very_channels_deadliest_catch_dies_at_53.html

Capt. Phil Harris, star of Discovery Channel's 'Deadliest Catch,' dies at 53
By Richard Huff
DAILY NEWS TV EDITOR

Originally Published:Wednesday, February 10th 2010, 1:11 AM
Updated: Wednesday, February 10th 2010, 1:11 AM

amd_phil_harris.jpg

Captain Phil Harris, the cantankerous, chain-smoking crabbing boat boss who became a household name on Discovery's hit series "The Deadliest Catch," died Tuesday.

He was 53.

Harris had suffered a stroke Jan. 30 while in port off-loading his ship the F/V Cornelia Marie in Alaska. He had been hospitalized ever since.

"He was more than someone on our television screen," Discovery officials said in a statement. "Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart."

Harris was one of the star players in the series which follows crab fishermen working the deadly waters off of Alaska. The job has been called the most dangerous in the world because of the high rate of injury to the participants who gamble life and limb for a lucrative haul on the seas.

Harris was known for barking orders from his perch at the wheel of the Cornelia Marie, and for the ever present cigarette.

Among his crew were sons Jake and Josh Harris.

"It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad - Captain Phil Harris," the brothers said in a joint statement last night. "Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate that strength. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers."

Fans of the show last night flooded Discovery's "Deadliest Catch" web site as news got out that Harris had died.

"Thank you, Phil, for bringing humor to my screen every week. You were my favorite captain, and the Cornelia Marie was my favorite boat," wrote a poster, txstchmandy. "You will be missed. But I know your spirit will always stay with your boat, and you're in your children and crews' hearts. I hope this isn't the end for the Cornelia Marie on DC. But I know it's not the end for crab fishing.'

Others posted heartfelt messages that the show wouldn't be the same without Harris.

"I'm so sad for the family," wrote gapeach1952. "I thought he was doing better. OK I'm sad for me too, I'll miss you Phil Harris."

In their statement, Discovery officials said they shared "our tremendous sadness over this loss with the millions of viewers who followed Phil's every move. We send our thoughts and prayers to Phil's sons Josh and Jake and the Cornelia Marie crew."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...deadliest_catch_dies_at_53.html#ixzz0f8tTEJ4N

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

That sucks, just goes to show you smoking is a bad habit
that can and will kill you.
it's a major contributor to plaque build up in arteries
causing stroke and heart disease.

RIP Captain Phil :(

'Deadliest Catch' captain Phil Harris dies after recent stroke

Phil Harris, captain of the Cornelia Marie on the Discovery Channel show "Deadliest Catch," has died at age 53.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a8839b23970b-450wi

On the show's Web page, where updates on Harris' condition had been posted since his Jan. 30 stroke, sons Jake and Josh Harris gave notice of their father's passing:

"It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad -- Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate that strength. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. -- Jake and Josh Harris"

Harris, who was based out of Seattle, suffered the stroke during an offload of crab. He was found unconscious in a stateroom, was airlifted to Anchorage for 12 hours of surgery, then placed in a medically induced coma. He'd shown signs of improvement last week, squeezing hands and even telling his doctors and nurses, in his signature gruff style, to not screw things up.

"Deadliest Catch" follows several crews working the Bering Sea during the area's crab fishing seasons. Harris, a fisherman for 32 years, was a co-owner of the Cornelia Marie, which he'd captained for 18 years; Jake and Josh work on the ship as deck hands, and Josh had remained on the ship immediately after his dad's stroke, awaiting the arrival of relief captain to continue the work.

Fans reached out Tuesday night on the show's message boards -- where comments have been posted since Phil Harris fell ill -- offering condolences to the family.

Discovery Channel in its statement referred to Harris as "more than someone on our television screen. Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart."

[Updated, 10:25 p.m.: Inspired by commenter Maurice, I embedded a song below. "Sail On, Sailor," by the Beach Boys./cdz]

-- Christie D'Zurilla

Photo: Capt. Phil Harris with sons Josh, left, and Jake, right. Credit: Discovery Channel.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

RIP Capt Phil.He will still be guiding his crew to the fart bubbles i'm sure.

bit of a resurrection here, but i guess next week is a two hour special. pretty compelling stuff last night.

Saw the show last night when they all got the news of Phil's stroke....it was sad to see and also very sad to know of the outcome while watching that show. I especially feel for his boys. The positive in it was the amazing closeness all the guys have for one another -

I feel sorry for josh not jake I 'm thinking the stress of phill finding that he was an addict put him over the the top

Love the show but cant help but feel they are starting to act to play things up... Anyone else think parts are now scripted? That said some things you just cant act and thats what keeps it interesting. Very sad to see phils finals days and the drama involed.

Back