Canon Downriggers

Big Joe

I know were in Scotty Country, but I happened to aquire 2 of these, stripped em down, and put scotty plug ins on them. I sure like the one tab relaease mechanism for removing them. I will not be able to try them out till spring, just wondered if anyone else had experience with them. I notice Tyee Marine is handling them now, so there will be some factory back up, and the price was around $500.00..Joe

I got a couple of manual ones for just a few bucks at a garage sale last spring. I like the stand-up profile, but my complaint is it is only a 1 foot spool, so one turn = one foot....that means a lot of turning to fish for winter springs!

I just bought a used Mag 10 electric. It is SLOW compared to the Scottys, probably 50 feet per minute -- so in winter that likely means the fish is at the boat before the ball is up. If you have the newer HS models...that means HIGH SPEED!

My switch doesn't work right either too, you have to hold it to retrieve, which kind of defeats the purpose.

The people at this site were very helpful and knowledgeable on Cannons:

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing/viewtopic.php?t=3597

Good luck

John

i have a pair off the fathom master 625 manuals, and they have a 2 foot retreival per crank, and i love them... i did just buy scotty electrics though

I've been told that the new HS models are almost too fast-this from a guy in Alaska.

Have used the manuals in the past and they were OK nothing special but servicable, back when I sold Downriggers people occasionally asked about them but service/parts were always a problem I think that's why Nikka stopped carrying them

tackle_1977_466121815

Yup nothing wrong with those goodies..

Programmable descent / retrieve rates of 110, 150 or 250 feet per minute [:0] 250 feet a minute..
wow,
i love how you can plugthem intoyour fish finder too and keep them a certain distance off bottom

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

i love how you can plugthem intoyour fish finder too and keep them a certain distance off bottom

I don't understand if the DR adjusts to the bottom contour, so up and down, wouldn't that pop the clip? You 'd need to interface the whole process with a couple of electric reels or sumtin'
Hmmm....
vic

I saw the Cannon bottom following downrigger in action last year and what a pain in the butt it was. I would work ok out on the banks where there is very little contour change, but on the inside it was constantly moving up and down and if you were not paying attention, your line was either very loose or it popped it off the downrigger. The guy was contantly adjusting his rod tension. He finally shut it off and just fished them normally.

The cannons were nice though, although I did not like the "plastic compisite boom", looked, felt and seemed cheap. Also the digital readout looks like it would be a pain if water got in there or if it got really cold.

Well, since I gottem, and the mounts are on the boat already, I will givem a try, and have my trusty Scotty's standing by...

Ditto Sitka.

Not only do you have to loosen your drag to avoid pop offs,
when the rigger goes down it looks just like a bite and can cause
unneccesary heart palpitations.
Not a very relaxing way to fish.

Back