Candied Salmon

R

relics revenge

Looking for any new reciepes for smoked candied that you guys might have. Thanks

Grabbed this from another forum I belong to:

standard recipe for smoked Salmon. It's easy and non-critical.

1 Gal. fresh water.
2 Cups non-iodized salt.
4 lbs. Dark Brown Sugar
2 Cups real Maple Syrup

Mix brine and soak salmon for 1 to 2 days. I use an ice chest with a large stainless steel pot inside, with ice around the pot.

Smoke with Apple and Alder Wood, I use 2 pans of chips in a Big Chief Smoker, for about 18 to 24 hours.

You can brush the pieces with a mixture of 3/4 honey to 1/4 water halfway through, if you like.

Cool, then package in Food Saver vacuum seal bags. Store in refrigerated space.

ONe of the other members added:

I use a Bradley Electric Smoker, which you can cold or hot smoke.
You just stack up the wood pucks you want and the smoker does it all, each puck
will smoke for approximately 20 minutes.
Brine: Depending on the amount of fish you can adjust.
2 quarts of water, 2 cups of DARK Demerara Sugar,"which has Molasses".
Kosher salt half cup or to taste, 2 cups maple syrup. All this depending on quantity of fish.
In brine for 24 to 48 hours, drip dry to shinny sticky surface, smoke for approximately 12 to 16 hours again depending on thickness, I usually baste two or three times during smoking with sugar and syrup.

I really like the product St. Jeans does. I know its more expensive, but I've had bags of it 1 1/2 years old and it was still just as good as when it was fresh. I do my own as well, but for all the hassel it's almost worth it.

Take only what you need.

I do like there ST Jeans product but once sent them 2 WHITE springs and got back red spring???? and yes I complained and they swore up and down I got the right fish untill I told them how come I got red and I sent you white?????then it came out sometimes fish gets mixed up!!!!!!
If i send them fresh cleaned fileted salmon I dont want someones who cleaned it on a lawn possablly covered in dog doo. I very fussy when it comes to cleaning and preparing any food especially salmon.
So that was the last time I used them have tried many but still my buddy who smokes a fish for me once a year makes the best AKA slabmaster!!!!
I know for sure im getting the fish I got back but he wont tell me his recipe.!!!!

Wolf

Aquatec is fine.......... if you like farmed salmon...:( SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

quote:Originally posted by wolf

I do like there ST Jeans product but once sent them 2 WHITE springs and got back red spring???? and yes I complained and they swore up and down I got the right fish untill I told them how come I got red and I sent you white?????then it came out sometimes fish gets mixed up!!!!!!
If i send them fresh cleaned fileted salmon I dont want someones who cleaned it on a lawn possablly covered in dog doo. I very fussy when it comes to cleaning and preparing any food especially salmon.
So that was the last time I used them have tried many but still my buddy who smokes a fish for me once a year makes the best AKA slabmaster!!!!
I know for sure im getting the fish I got back but he wont tell me his recipe.!!!!

Wolf
I had the same thing happen at st jeans two I sent them fillets for canning and had some cans that had the back bone in them.

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Wolf
I had the same thing happen at st jeans two I sent them fillets for canning and had some cans that had the back bone in them.

I have had the same thing happen there a couple times, So i no longer go there or recommend them to anyone.[xx(]

I have had the same thing happen there a couple times, So i no longer go there or recommend them to anyone.[xx(]

yup Nog your recipe and method are dam close to mine although I never use a predetermined amount of salt only enough to float a egg and I have tried cutting the honey and maple syrup in half and adding a bottle of rogers syrup and it comes out about the same. I too hang mine on toothpicks and dry till translucent.I like using maple for smoke for the candy and a 50/50 mix with alder for everything else.

Back