Canadian Tax Dollars going to good use...fish farm bailouts...

on the posted escapement numbers: I can't tell if you know better and only want to present data that doesn't as clearly suggest farm impacts; or you know better and are consciously omitting data. So here goes the explanation:

"Escapement" numbers are the numbers of fish that "escape" all the various capture fisheries and arrive to be enumerated on the spawning grounds. There are assumptions made in generating these data and assumptions made in inputting these data into one of those dreaded models that you are so afraid of, yet can never deliver clear science-based critiques. Not every watershed is enumerated, and not all of the sections within any watershed are enumerated. Most of the escapement data are derived from streamwalks. There are still a few operating and funded fish fences, but not many. Sometimes overflights and/or float surveys are done. Most often only a few watersheds out of many are dependably funded for annual streamwalks.

When the streamwalks are done, a formula is used to "bump-up" the numbers that are observed. Then, these data are utilized in one of those models that you claim you dislike, CK. In this case it is called "area under the curve". IF you get enough streamwalks within the same season, that output from the model is reasonably accurate. Often only 1-3 walks are performed and that number is a really big guess. For some species/watersheds - water clarity, height, weather and other variables preclude an accurate count.

In order to understand productivity - and more importantly - ocean survival rates - you must also add on total capture from the various fisheries along the way to estimate total run returns. That is often even more difficult to get the numbers, and often the ones you get from some fisheries - are a guess as well.

So, the estimate of total run size and ocean survival rates is really difficult - and that's the metric to look at population-level impacts from things that are in the ocean - like fish farms - NOT escapement data. Let me give you an example:

If the hatcheries on the WCVI put out 100,000 smolts and 10,000 adult Chinook come back - that's a 10% ocean survival rate. 90,000 died somewhere along the trip.

IF (on the other hand) those same hatcheries pump out a MILLION smolts and 10,000 Chinook come back - that's a 1% ocean survival rate. It shows up as the same escapement number, but in this case - over 990,000 fish died along the way for this age group.

see the difference?

for the same escapement number we have a difference of 900,000 fish dead (i.e. 990,000-90,000) and no way to recognize this using only escapement numbers.

Another compounding factor - Chinook can come back to spawn at any age from age 3 through age 6. So, what happened in one brood year can be hidden within the brood year returns of another spawning event. You need to separate-out brood years, commonly done using scale/age data.

see the graph below for WCVI Chinook Marine Survival Trend for Age 2 – RCH Indicator Stock. Ocean survival rates of +3% are fair to good, 14% is spectacular, 0% very bad (duh!). So the years pre-1988 were good (I think those are the years - but it's hard to read the legend on the bottom accurately), but something bad happened for the brood year of 1992 (post-emergence time of 1993 for Ocean-type Chinook), as well as 95/96, 2004, 2006 and 2009 (or thereabouts - the numbers and check marks don't seem to line-up). Looking back at the escapement graph - you can't determine this - which is why CK's "whistle a happy tune" "we are not having an effect, see?" expectations are ill-founded by presenting escapement data alone. The trend since 1988 is downwards also - a little worrying.

Another worry - ocean productivity for other Chinook stocks (broad-scale, coast-wise) had a really good peak in 2001-2006 - not echoed here, during the same time frame. That's the timeframe I would be looking for differences in early life history and seeing about correlations to potential smaller-scale impacts (i.e. sea lice outbreaks, etc) that are likely to be of a more localized effect. That effect is magnified in 2004/06. Those are the years I would key in on and since the graph is brood year - it would be 2005/7 when the smolts hit the water (for ocean-type Chinook, which I think WCVI stocks are).

..."On {Juvenile} Chinook salmon, prevalence varied between 1% in 2006 to 15% in 2005 found in "The Clayoquot Sound Sea Lice Working Group. 2009. Prevalence and density of sea louse (L. salmonis and C. Clemensi) infections in juvenile chum salmon (Oncorhychus keta) in Clayoquot Sound, 2004-2007 - something YOU posted CK! Sea lice prevalence of 15% is about 3-5 times the normal background levels of stocks not associated with fish farms in the Pacific: http://uuathluk.ca/Microsoft Word - CSSWG sea lice report.doc.pdf

See how it's done, CK?

AND for the record - 1/ yes there are other impacts than those from fish farms, and 2/ I am satisfied that not all locations/years of fish farm operations are bad for all smolts of all species at all times. I think it is likely that for some high productivity years - the potential negative effects of fish farm operations are overwhelmed by good productivity. It's the poor productivity years that extra impacts have an "extra" effect. Those are the ones where it really matters. If you have a population barely surviving at a low 2% ocean survival rate - and fish farms (or any other localized impact) removes another very low amount or 1% - NOW that stock is in decline.

Attachments

• marine survival WCVI.jpg
    marine survival WCVI.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello "Whole",

While the amount of research going into quanitfying the hypothesised impacts of aquaculture on wild salmon populations has risen, their actual findings and dependence on assumptions has not changed.

The simple fact remains that there is no evidence available today which shows that areas with salmon farms have wild salmon populations which perform any differently than those in areas without.

No amount of bold type or inreased font size is going to change the simple truth that the papers do not align with what wild salmon populations actually do.

Think about this: Do the hatchery folks working in areas with aquaculture present get consistently lower survival than those in other areas?

Not that I know of - Anyone have any different info?

That would be a pretty easy way to tell if there was anything different going on with farms present.

For instance, look at the 2014 Outlook summary from DFO: http://www.sportfishing.bc.ca/docs/preliminary_2014_salmon_outlook_-_dfo.pdf

Some up, some down, but overall better than last year.

I don't have to match paper with paper because it doesn't PROVE anything - it simply means that flaws in one argument are pointed out and different ideas are put forward.

In instances where I have done so, the rebuttals are dismissed as being industry funded - so there really doesn't seem to be any value in it in this context.

You can keep banging the table and passing judgement on morals all you like, I guess this forum is designed for just such activity - but the scientific debate about impacts on wild salmon from aquaculture operations will certainly not be closed here in favour of either side.

My tone and occasional quips may lean a little to the snarky side, but given the accusations, name calling and outright hostility seen from the anonymous posters on the other side of the debate here - I would say it's all part of the game.

Happy Holidays!

Thanks for the reply CK. My use of bold and bigger fonts was only to get you to provide a reply as it was a long time in coming - getting a little frustrated I guess.

While I understand your position and your ongoing defense of your industry (as it is your job). I cannot agree with, nor respect how you have defended your industry. You have refused to provide any peer, reviewed scientific research to dismiss the findings from a growing collection of such research from around the world and only reply with personal opinions and observations.

I think it would be fair to say at this time you and your industry cannot defend itself from the research on the negative impacts of net pen salmon feedlots and if it wasn't for the well documented conflict of interest support you get from DFO (see Cohen Commission Report) and pro-foreign investment support from the Prov. and Fed. Govts. (I know as I have worked in Govt. and witnessed it) your industry would be most likely shut down for the high probability of spreading disease, polluting the environment and endangering wild fish populations.

But when large amounts of foreign investment money is involved (just as in oil, mining, forestry, pharamaceutical, fast food, tobacco industries, etc. the list goes on) the local people and the environment they depend upon gets ruined and most times the big corporations and their short-term jobs move on to some other place to "develop"/ruin for corporate profits. Net pen salmon feedlots are no different in this regard in minds of a growing number of people and research scientists. (ha, look at me now I am 'opinionating' like you).

I and many others on this forum can only hope that land based, salmon feedlots become more economically viable before any really serious damage is done to wild salmon and the marine environment. Until then I and many others will continue to work hard to bring about positive change to improve things in this regard. My 2 bits.

Happy Holiday's to you!

For some reason when I read the quote below from WITW I thought of the song below:

"But when large amounts of foreign investment money is involved (just as in oil, mining, forestry, pharamaceutical, fast food, tobacco industries, etc. the list goes on) the local people and the environment they depend upon gets ruined and most times the big corporations and their short-term jobs move on to some other place to "develop"/ruin for corporate profits. Net pen salmon feedlots are no different in this regard in minds of a growing number of people and research scientists. (ha, look at me now I am 'opinionating' like you). "

[QVqVdQYC44Y] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVqVdQYC44Y

Ha, those older simpsons episodes were pure gold back in the day.... the newer ones I could go without.

I've been following this thread for the duration and I haven't yet seen the good reason why Canadian taxpayers should reimburse the salmon farmers for the culls ordered by the government to protect other salmon in the area. Maybe I missed something in all the distracting BS tossed out by CK. However, it seems to me that not only should the farmers have to absorb the cost of the cull in their own expenses, but they should also be paying for the cost of the govt' monitoring that decided the cull was necessary - right down the to cost of the notice on which the cull order was written. I consider farmed salmon harboring viruses/parasites a pollutant to the local environment. Compensating the polluter for cleaning up other types of pollution does happen. Why again should the farmers be compensated for the loss necessitated by their own methods?

On a related topic, how much do these farms pay to the Canadian (or BC) government to secure the use of the water in which they farm? E.g. are they paying an annual rent in an amount that is commensurate with the value of the public waters they are using?

Basically a free ride since 2011. New fees are proposed. See the link; http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/aquaculture/programs-programmes/discussion-eng.htm.

One day left to make comments.

That's what I figured. It's better than a free ride since the government pays you to destroy your diseased fish. Hopefully plenty on this board will add to the public comments. How many here would be granted the rights to such large patches of water, allowed to build pens, then allowed to dump large amounts of organic matter (feed) into, and PAY nothing for the access?

The claim by CK that because he doesn't like Krkosek modelling (because his modelling demonstrates potential impacts by the open net-pen industry) - that somehow invalidates any sea lice modelling is way beyond childish and bizarre. There are other modellers in Scotland, Ireland and Norway that similarly and successfully utilize sea lice modelling (based originally on sea lice data generated by farm- and wild- sea lice field data) to assess and plan for loading and siting of the open net-pen industry. It's been used for years, BUT since Krkosek's model indicates a potential impact - CK (who appears to generate his vast knowledge by cutting and pasting from the BCSFA website) takes issue with Krkosek, Morton and any other independent researcher who disagrees with the PR talking notes generated by Hill and Knowleton, Moore and associates, and the rest of the liars and slimes.

The reality is that models do have their biases, limitations, accuracies and restrictions - ALL models do. BUT if actual data are used to generate these models, AND then these models are run against what they predict and further refined - they get quite good at demonstrating and modelling what kinds, types, and intensities of interactions are expected and likely. ALL peer-reviewed work on modelling state openly state within the article what restrictions and limitations the models are built on and what parameters they operate within - including Krkosek's.

The reality is that our daily lives often depend upon many such models. The vehicles we drive are all originally designed on models; the stock market under which industry (such as fish farms) operate - is a model (albeit a poor one). Even the open net-cage industry operates on models. Much of the equipment used was designed by models, whether it be boats that service the industry or the pneumatic blowers that blow feed into the pens.

As mentioned, even the benthic impacts from a certain biomass of fish and the feed estimated to be loaded into the ocean to feed these operations are modelled in order to determine how much benthic impacts are expected. The whole industry utilizes this modelling. That modelled expectation is then later ground-truthed annually - sea lice impacts are not, however since the industry's been allowed to get away with many things for many years. That is why Krkosek's modelling is unwelcome to CK and other PR hacks.

That's why it's great to have CK's input on this forum - so the readership can see this attempt to cover-up these impacts.

"who appears to generate his vast knowledge by cutting and pasting"

"PR talking notes generated by Hill and Knowleton, Moore and associates, and the rest of the liars and slimes"

"see this attempt to cover-up"

I'm pretty much done here Aqua.

It's been a REAL pleasure.

A group of Washington researchers have found sea lice on juvenile wild salmon samples in Clayoquot Sound and the levels they found were higher in close proximity to salmon farms. - See more at: http://www.westerlynews.ca/local-ne...-sea-lice-study-1.183331#sthash.1ZKoHTzo.dpuf

Mainstream reported an outbreak of IHN on one of their open net-cage salmon farms in Clayoquot Sound
http://www.livingoceans.org/media/releases/clark-government-approves-new-fish-farm-clayoquot-sound

BCSFA figures for farmed Pacific salmon in BC were affected by the following diseases during 2004: Nucleopsora (Enterocytozoan) salmonis infection, Renibacterium salmoninarum infection, Aeromonas salmoncida infection, Caprellid infection, Large spleen syndrome, Vibrio (Listonella) infection, Myxobacterial infection, Costia infection and Saprolegnia. http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/fisheries/health/bcsfa_reports.htm

Think I'd be running away too, CK!

Fish farms pose biosecurity risk, says new study
Live fish pathogens are being transmitted from farmed salmon processing facilities into the marine waters of Canada’s Pacific coast, a new study has confirmed.

Researchers at the University of Victoria say their peer-reviewed study titled “Fish processing facilities: new challenge to marine biosecurity in Canada,” published recently in the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, shows that fish farms pose a marine biosecurity risk for Canada and that better guidelines and monitoring of fish farms by the Canadian government are needed.

Salmon farms routinely experience outbreaks of sea lice, and juvenile wild salmon swimming past farms are often infected with sea lice. However, this is the first time that a processing facility for farmed salmon has been identified as a source of sea lice.

In this study, the authors recovered hundreds of live lice and eggs directly from the effluent of a facility that processes Atlantic salmon on Vancouver Island's east coast. The study site supports several wild salmon populations, including Canada’s largest annual migration of juvenile sockeye salmon.

“Sea lice and other disease vectors transmitted from facilities processing farmed fish from across the province may pose a threat to wild salmon populations,” says UVic marine ecologist Dr. John Volpe, a co-author of the paper. “Our study demonstrates that disease transmission is possible from farmed fish to wild fish through the tissue, blood and mucus released in untreated farmed salmon offal.

“If live sea lice eggs are pouring out of farmed salmon processing plants, it is likely that infectious bacteria and viruses are as well,” says Volpe, adding that more research is needed to determine the extent of sea lice release and whether more virulent fish pathogens are present in fish farm effluent.

The other authors of the paper were UVic biologist Michael Price, Raincoast Research Society biologist Alexandra Morton, and J.G. Eriksson with Sonora Marine Services.

–30–

Copies of the paper are available at http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/uahh20/current#.UrMsSY3kDnc

Media Contacts:

Dr.John Volpe (School of Environmental Studies) at 250-888-7711 (cell) or jpv@uvic.ca
Dr. Alexandra Morton (Raincoast Research Society) at 250-974-7086 or gorbuscha@gmail.com
Anne MacLaurin (Social Sciences Communications) at 250-217-4259 (cell) or sosccomm@uvic.ca

Follow us on Twitter: @uvicnews

UVic media releases & resources for journalists: http://communications.uvic.ca/media

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UVic media releases and other resources for journalists are available on the World Wide Web at http://communications.uvic.ca/media

This information should probably be in a new thread but since CK has been so forthcoming here, I expected he would have started it. Left it up to us to find by ourselves on the FrontCounter BC website.

Three applications by Ewos Canada aka Mainstream Canada. "Expanding existing tenure area, infrastructure and production" for two. "Amends current tenure to increase net cages, bio mass and ancillary floats and decrease tenure size" for the third.
http://www.arfd.gov.bc.ca/Applicati...UACULTURE+/+FIN+FISH&orderby=Client&sort=desc
Filed last September but posted on the FrontCounter website today.
You have until the 18th of January to comment.

Happy Holidays!

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/aquaculture/programs-programmes/licence-permis-eng.htm
Appendix C – Estimated Annual Costs for <abbr title="Fisheries and Oceans Canada">DFO</abbr> to Implement the <abbr title="British Columbia">BC</abbr> Aquaculture Regulatory Program

Table 11 - Estimated Annual Regulatory Costs

Program Management$1,377,131
<abbr title="Integrated Management of Aquaculture Plan">IMAP</abbr> and Planning$922,506
Licence issuance$138,585
Regulatory Operations $2,526,625
Conservation and Protection$1,173,036
Enablers (i.e., overhead)$2,163,544
TOTAL$8,301,427

<tbody>
</tbody>

Our Tax dollars at work to have this industry harm our wild salmon.

Those totals are for an industry that generates about $85M/year (in BC) of which about $75M per year are Atlantic salmon (see http://www.aquaculture.ca/files/documents/AquacultureStatistics2011.pdf). So that's about a 10% subsidy to the industry. Of all the aquaculture in Canada, the greatest majority is sold to the US (see tables 2-1 to 2-3 in the above link). If the portion that goes to the US, a large fraction is sold to California and Washington and I'd be willing to bet that those two states (plus Oregon) consume more than half of all the BC farmed salmon. So perhaps the best way to combat the industry up there is a public education campaign in the markets down here. I already have a "friends do let friends eat farmed salmon" policy but a well funded advertising campaign on the west coast of the US could take a big bite out of the BC farmed salmon marketplace. Perhaps such a project might be fundable on kickstart. What do you guys think?

The province used to regulate the farms for far less $$$ but since control has gone to the feds the size of the department quadrupled as did the cost. This is the product of a heavily regulated industry which is what some groups have been pushing for. Funny to see a complaint about it now. I am interested to see how our canadian activists would fair down in the us. Seems like a no brainer to team up with americans against their salmon farms but I am fairly certain that would not fly so well down there. Pretty darn sure actually. IMHO

I think it would fly pretty well. I see a reasonable number of "friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon" bumper stickers down here and there's a reason why we haven't allowed near the number of salmon farming operations down here. I think if the right campaign was put together explaining the practice of salmon farming and it's potential impact on wild fish and the environment immediately below the pens, many americans would chose other food - especially in CA, OR and WA.

Its mighty odd that there has not been a campaign down there yet. Wonder why???? The head campaigner is an american so it shouldn't be a problem. I have a feeling the fellas here that have the answerers to everything will not have an answer to this question. Certainly there must be allot of sampling of the salmon in rivers down there and of course the US salmon farming companies I'm sure would supply morton with plenty of samples. Not that it matters you never get to see the results of those anyways.

Maine's Salmon Farming Management Sets Good Example
04 December 2013

US and CANADA - The Atlantic Salmon Federation (ASF) is working in Canada to convince government to implement better controls of the salmon farming industry to protect wild Atlantic salmon and their environment.

“We have found,” said Sue Scott, ASF’s VP of Communications,” that the management of salmon farming in Maine holds the industry there to higher standards than is the case in Canada.”

Ironically, a major salmon producer, New Brunswick-based Cooke Aquaculture, operates in both countries, but is better regulated in Maine thanks to the clout of the US Endangered Species and Clean Water Acts. Now Maine has few salmon escapes from open nets in the ocean, and better control of sea lice and disease thanks to better codes of containment, stricter monitoring and third party audits.

In Canada, the industry is essentially self-regulated. Large-scale escapes are frequent occurrences in open-pen fish farming and can happen through routine handling, or large-scale events, such as storms. There is potential for farmed escapees to enter rivers, and breed with wild salmon, causing reduced genetic diversity and fitness in wild populations. In addition, wild salmon are then faced with a new competitor for freshwater resources, said the ASF.

The prevalence of disease and parasites increases with the high density of fish in pens that is common to salmon aquaculture. Diseases and parasites can spread to wild fish, subsequently threatening the persistence of wild populations. Ocean open-pen operations spread infections among densely-packed fish and magnify the intensity of diseases such as Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA). ISA outbreaks in the salmon aquaculture industry have been a huge problem in Canada, first in New Brunswick, and then Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, when the industry expanded there. Since 1996, at least $135 million has been paid by governments to compensate industry for having to eradicate farmed salmon infected with ISA.

As few as eight sea lice can kill a wild Atlantic salmon smolt going to sea. The dense crowding in salmon farms encourages a population explosion of sea lice, which must be treated with chemicals. Sea lice become resistant to treatments, requiring the industry to use more toxic chemicals that get into the ocean, killing other sea creatures. The desperation of the aquaculture industry in Canada to control sea lice and the deadliness of the chemicals that they may use were obvious in an incident several years ago that resulted in charges being laid. In the spring of 2013, Cooke Aquaculture was found guilty of two charges by Environment Canada in connection with the deaths of hundreds of lobster in the Bay of Fundy for using an illegal pesticide to control sea lice.

As in Maine, the wild salmon that are in the vicinity of salmon aquaculture operations in Canada are either threatened or endangered. The Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) noted that the growth of the Canadian aquaculture industry has coincided with a severe decline in wild populations in the nearby rivers in the Bay of Fundy. COSEWIC also noted that in North America, farm-origin salmon have been reported in 87 per cent of the rivers investigated within 300 km of aquaculture sites.

The expert panel on sustaining marine diversity of the Royal Society of Canada, a National Academy that promotes scientific research and development, noted that the introduction or exacerbation of infectious diseases and parasites probably constitutes the greatest potential threat to biodiversity posed by salmon aquaculture.

“All this points to the importance of having Canada at least catch up with the US in managing salmon farming impacts,” said Ms Scott. “The ultimate goal would be a transition to closed-containment salmon aquaculture, which completely separates salmon farms from contact with wild fish and their environment.”

“The Gulf of Maine and Bay of Fundy are part of the same ecosystem, and there is no system of border control when escaped Canadian salmon cross into US territory and enter US wild salmon rivers,” concluded Ms Scott.

TheFishSite News Desk
http://www.thefishsite.com/fishnews...gement-sets-good-example#sthash.WnLSNLU3.dpuf

Original article - translated using MS Word:

THE AQUACULTURE INDUSTRY WITH BLINDERS TO THE ABYSS

Posted on December 19, 2013 of kystibevegelse
Jack Drew

"It is tragic to see how Are Kviststad ( Communications Director , Norwegian Seafood Federation (FHL) has lavished his counter debate in derogatory terms, picked right from primary school adjective vocabulary when he runs out of substantive arguments, as we've seen in the last few weeks of farming debate in the Norwegian newspaper Bergens Tidende. Kviststad does not have many reasonable arguments to use either. He seems simply disillusioned. Is he possibly about to discover that his somewhat pompous perception of aquaculture importance to the national economy is beginning to unravel? Norway's second largest export industry, as the seafood industry likes to call itself, accounted for approximately 2.5% of Norwegian exports in 2011. The aquaculture industry company taxes in the same year amounted to 623 million according to Norwegian official statistics bureau (SSB), accounting for just 0.21 % of total corporation tax paid in Norway. When 754 farming companies pay as much in taxes as Agder Energi, it tells a lot about how little the farming industry actually contributes. They are far more productive in terms of sewage discharge, which in Norway is equivalent to that of 20 million people.

It is unlikely that this situation will persist. Today's environmentally - destructive fish farming in open-net pens can expect more reefs that lurk in the sea. Some are visible, others are not.

One of the biggest dangers for the Norwegian aquaculture industry, is paradoxically enough, environmentally friendly technology, which is already in full use in foreign farms. Current technology for closed aquaculture makes it namely possible to produce farmed salmon in closed systems, with full control of what is released in terms of pathogenic viruses and bacteria, in the collection of sewage, at competitive prices. More closed aquaculture facilities will generate substantial environmental benefits. The 400 million farmed salmon that will be in breeding cages along the coast, annually produce an amazing 3 million metric tons of sewage into the fjords and making life intolerable for aquatic life. The drainage from closed containment includes 15,000 tons of phosphorus that can be collected and used as fertilizer in agriculture, where phosphorus has been lacking for years. The remaining biomass can be used for CO2-neutral combustion.

The aquaculture industry enjoys strong political support in Parliament to continue its current operations. This proves the lack of environmental standards from our politicians. The result remains a comprehensive environmental impact on the marine diversity. To date, over 120 rivers in Norway are closed to salmon fishing. Most are located in Hordaland and Nordland, which also produced the most farmed salmon. Unfortunately, the sea fisheries of anadromous fish like salmonids in these counties in 2012 was reduced to 0 % and 2.7 %, respectively, of the catch in 1984. In Hardanger Fjord where we have the densest concentration of farms, it is 10 to 12 rivers closed to salmon fishing. Most of these rivers would be saved by the use of closed facilities.

Despite major environmental advantages associated with closed aquaculture, Kviststad and FHL continue with their rhetoric. Open feed lots with free flow of water, bacteria and viruses, chemicals, heavy metals and more that leave the cages are released out in the open fjord or sea, without farmers paying a single penny in sewage fees, and without the other coastal residents being listened to. In fjords where there are established farm permits granted to the shrimp and cod, the wild fish sei eat waste feed from fish farms that has destroyed meat quality of sei. The term " Pellet sei " is not just the name of a Norwegian website, it has unfortunately become an everyday expression of unhappy fishermen along the coast of Norway .

Today's production scheme also entails serious consequences for the farmers themselves . In Nord -Trøndelag , Nordland and Hordaland lost aquaculture in the fall control of sea lice , which developed resistance to all known treatments . " Panser lice" was a new term . FSA was forced to order immediate harvest , with major economic losses for the industry. In addition to this, took an explosive infection of AGD / AGS ( Amoeba Gill disease ) in Norwegian fish farms occurred. The disease has previously resulted in very heavy casualties in the Scottish aquaculture industry and helped to reduce production there by 10000 metric tonnes from 2011 to 2012. Rising production costs mean that more and more farmers report their concern . Industries numbers in the red would have been far more extensive if the price per kilo of farmed salmon had remained on average 28 kr, and not risen to today's unanticipated level of nearly 50 kr .

Farming in closed systems is becoming cheaper as the technology developed. Langsand Salmon expects to achieve production of 24-25 U.S. $ / kg when it increases the capacity of 8000 metric tons. Given that the Norwegian aquaculture industry currently produces 25-30 U.S. $ / kg , and the production cost per unit in all probability will increase proportionally with the envisaged increase in production , we see dark prospects for open feed lots along the Norwegian coast.

The advantage of both land - and sea-based closed containment , is that farmed salmon can be produced anywhere in the world. What happens to the Norwegian aquaculture industry as Russia, China, Japan , USA and EU produce their fish to lower production costs and save shipping costs, as to Asia amounted to 15-18 U.S. $ / kg ?

The only logical answer is that the Norwegian fish farming industry, with its current operating regime of equal competitive opportunity, is as dead as a shrimp in a hydrogen peroxide treatment bath.

The process has already begun. Many land -based fish farms are now in operation, and more and more are being built. Certainly, the overall production is now only a few tens of thousand metric tons, but it's going to increase tremendously in the coming years. To produce 1 million metric tons of farmed salmon annually, with today's technology, an area of only 4 square kilometers is needed. Today, the aquaculture industry occupies 420 square kilometers of the best fishing areas along the coast. The drawbacks of current salmon farming is unacceptable, and it is very evident to see along the coast of Norway. Closed containment will also save the climate with, where annual emissions now of 2.5 metric million tons of CO2 are due to air freight.

Unless aquaculture manages to cough up a secret method to produce farmed salmon at 15-20 euros a kilo, the future looks bright for our coast. Let's just hope the change is happening faster than the Norwegian aquaculture industry is managing to destroy our fjords ."

Nils Kvisgaard
http://oppdrett.wordpress.com/2013/12/19/oppdrettsnaering-med-skylapper-mot-avgrunnen/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/13m-for-cooke-aquaculture-after-infected-salmon-1.2488620

$13M for Cooke Aquaculture after infected salmon
About 1 million salmon destroyed
CBC News Posted: Jan 08, 2014 11:58 AM AT Last Updated: Jan 08, 2014 12:01 PM AT

A fishing boat heads past fish farm cages in Shelburne Harbour on Nova Scotia's South Shore on Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2011. Cooke Aquaculture announced that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is testing fish samples from the company's operation in Shelburne Harbour for infectious salmon anemia. (The Canadian Press)

Salmon virus outbreak at Shelburne facility resolved
CFIA orders ISA infected salmon destroyed

Cooke Aquaculture has received $13 million in federal compensation after it was forced to slaughter a million salmon at a Nova Scotia fish-farming operation because of a virus outbreak, according to Freedom of Information documents.

The New Brunswick-based company got the money back in 2012 after an infectious salmon anemia (ISA) outbreak at the company's Coffin Island farm in Shelburne County.

Cooke received the money in June and December of 2012 but the amount was only made public recently within a Freedom of Information request to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

The company wouldn't confirm the amount when contacted by CBC News, except to say it's no different than any other compensation farmers receive for damaged crops.

A spokesperson pointed to the $2 million in loans the Nova Scotia government handed to strawberry farmers after a virus destroyed their crops

Back