Can an 11 y/o handle a Chicken Halibut?

So I've got guests in town this weekend, a friend and her son who is 11 years old. I want to take them halibut fishing, as there are some great tides on Saturday. I'm not totally familiar with what is reasonable to expect an 11 year old to handle. Most of the halibut we get are 20-30 lbs, do you think an 11 y/o boy can handle one of these himself? Should I get a fighting belt, or any other accessories that might help?

Thanks,

Absolutely he can do it himself.... Just be there incase it ends up being a larger Hali. Fighting belt is a consideration but not necessary in my opinion but he might need an extra hand supporting the rod.

You could always get him to wind in with the rod still in rod holder ( or partially) - from 200' or more it could be pretty tough for an 11 year old, especially one that hasn't experienced that before. With kids I find it best to make it easier for them at first....then they won't get discouraged. You can always let them try the next level when they are ready.

My son was (7) last year when i set the hook and handed him the rod. It ended up being a 25 pound Chinook, and they had quite the battle! He was actually on the leaderboard at IO for about 3 weeks, till he got bumped off.
I say let him go for it. Awesome memory for him, whether he lands it or not!

I think that they will definitely be able to handle it....with my kids, if they are reeling in a small Hali or a ling etc, I leave the rod in the flush mount rod holders in the gunwhales if they find it too difficult to hold by themselves. They are a lot younger though (4 and 6).

FishWish

you can always stand behind him and help hold the rod as well and let him reel. Let him try on his own until he says he needs help. The less you do the more proud he will feel!

My son was (7) last year when i set the hook and handed him the rod. It ended up being a 25 pound Chinook, and they had quite the battle! He was actually on the leaderboard at IO for about 3 weeks, till he got bumped off.
I say let him go for it. Awesome memory for him, whether he lands it or not!

thats Awesome!!

Thanks guys. I guess we're going halibut fishing. :)

I think I might invest in the handle and a fighting belt. Outside of this I have a 70 year old mother and a girlfriend with a bad back, so I expect we'll find a use for the equipment on other days! If you see a blue Seasport with an 11 year old floating beside it on Saturday, come lend a hand. ;)

I fish with an 10-11 y.o. boy on occasion (my buddy's son). He's landed albacore and kings up to 20 lbs. He sometimes needs a little help to keep the rod tip up but he's wound them in on his own. A fighting belt can help but I've found these "cush-it" rod butt cushions to be really helpful (the wive loves them too!

Scotty also makes a rod butt cushion called "The Hammerhead". About $15.00 if I remember correctly.Seadna is
right,they definately be very helpful when your crankin' up from the depths of hell!

Damn straight they can handle chickens.........

Go halibut fishing.

If he complains about the haul just say " do you want me to phone your mom and have her come reel it in for ya" lol :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
This kid turned 12 this a few months back and he reeled in this 62 lber all by him self his dad helped him a bit, I left it in the rod holder (striker) but he cranked it in from 250 ft he wouldn't let up...only thing dad did was to assist in holding the rod so it was in place , the kid did GREAT and I personally was very proud of him. They are repeat clients which have come with me many times but the first time for halibut.kid was hooked on fishing 3 years ago on catching pinks.... Good times taking a kid out....

Attachments

• 2014apr20.jpg
    2014apr20.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 113
Excellent. I went ahead and picked up the padded fighting belt. Unfortunately they didnt have the EZ handle for the rod at Trotac. Thanks for the advice and tips. If we get into a hali, I suspect we might bring the second rod up...it might be a long fight.

Back