Campion 542 + Trailer weight?

RogersonCrusoe

Hey guys,
I ended up getting the Escape, so now the hunt begins for a new boat! It's like Christmas :)
Looking at a 542 hardtop with 115 outboard. Owner doesn't know the weight of the setup and I don't want to waste his time kicking tires and asking to tow it on a scale. Without finding any good info online, anyone have real-world knowledge of weight?

Thanks!

Hey guys,
I ended up getting the Escape, so now the hunt begins for a new boat! It's like Christmas :)
Looking at a 542 hardtop with 115 outboard. Owner doesn't know the weight of the setup and I don't want to waste his time kicking tires and asking to tow it on a scale. Without finding any good info online, anyone have real-world knowledge of weight?

Thanks!
Hey im
Looking at that boat lol

Back off! lol
Admittedly, It's outside my price range, but I want to add it to the list of "potentials"
yeah its a little higher then what I have but might be able to scrounge up enough but wouldn't pay full ask for that boat needs a cleaning and survey first

Hey guys,

Thanks!
Your probably in the 3000 pound range. The boat is 1900 pounds and the trailer about 700 pounds. But if you add a kicker, downrigger, full fuel and gear it adds up. A Karavan single axle trailer can carry a 3100 pound boat with max GVWR at 3720.

3000 ponds sounds right. That's what I tell people my 542 weighs in total. Are you worried about tow vehicle?

3000 ponds sounds right. That's what I tell people my 542 weighs in total. Are you worried about tow vehicle?
Yeah, I have 3500lb towing capacity. I will be downsizing from a 21', so making a list of constant marketplace searches.

Hey guys,

Thanks!
A little under powered. Needs 150. Friend had one with 115 and was a painful to get on plane when fully loaded. He sold it and the new owner put a 150 on it.

I owned one with a 115, it was definitely not enough power. It did the trick on a calm days and only one or two other people. You really notice the lack of power with the 115 when the weather conditions are rough.

Hey guys,

Thanks!
What year is the 542? Mine was a 2000 and was 1700lbs dry weight hull only, my 100 HP Yamaha was 400lbs and kicker was 130lbs. Add 130 litres of fuel, 208lbs, downriggers, cannons balls 70lbs. It was on a single axle EZ Loader trailer, 700 lbs, so all about 3200lbs or so.

Yeah, I have 3500lb towing capacity. I will be downsizing from a 21', so making a list of constant marketplace searches.
I originally towed with a Pathfinder and found that insufficient on the highway. I now tow with a Pilot and that's better. That 3500 lb rating on Escape is marginal at best for the 542. You may need to move down to a tinny ;>)

I originally towed with a Pathfinder and found that insufficient on the highway. I now tow with a Pilot and that's better. That 3500 lb rating on Escape is marginal at best for the 542. You may need to move down to a tinny ;>)
I have some 16.5 footers in mind which should do the trick. The 542 was mostly a "I wonder..." :) I'm not itching to tow anything over the Malahat, just from Sidney to Sooke and back.
Missed out on an arima yesterday by three minutes :( Getting the boat shopping bug now!

Correct me if Im wrong but a single axle trailer can tow 5000pounds with a GWVR rating of 6000. depends on number of studs on the tires? My karavan trailer single axle tows my boat 3300 lbs plus fuel gear probably 4000 plus the trailer 1000.

I towed my old Arima from Utah about 1600 kms with an Edge rated for 3500 lb over mountains etc without any issues. Like I said earlier that 17 ready for fishing was 3250 on scale. The hull weight was only 1200 lbs. I don’t see a 542 being same weight.

Back