Camping on North Island lakes

T

tortuga

I'm looking for a drive in campsite on a lake front that has a kid friendly swimming beach.
I'm looking at the area of Buttle lake, Morton lake and Upper Campbell but I've never been and I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Loveland bay is all booked up but Morton and Buttle have some options.
I'm thinking next thursday, fri and sat (in case I have to go 1st come 1st served.)
I have a boat but was thinking of towing a trailer instead.
Any suggestions? PM me. thanks

PM sent. Tortuga

This is very much my same question but looking for a little more specifics of the campsites if anyone is willing to share or pm.

Have van and hard top tent trailer, 12ft tinny sits on top or canoe but not both, kids 12 and 9, wife that is not too interested in a rec site, she prefers the Gordon bay or French beach approach but willing to extend a little more.

We are looking at mid to late August, during the week and into a weekend, have heard great things about LB but any sites available are gone before my computer can think twice. Have tried for 2 years and can't get a a spot.

Looking at Morton or either Buttle lake spots. Have heard good about all but questions are more aimed at boat access and leaving at beach? Can put wheels on tinny but is it too far to walk boat from Morton spot 18 to lake launch? To Mahun lake launch? Can I chain boat up overnight when at camp site? Am I better off with the canoe?

How about Buttle? Can I leave tinny at beach, what sites are suggested if this was available? Better fishing end of the lake?

I will be on the water at 4 till 10 every morning, spend day with family on a few hikes and then back on water in evening. Hopefully one kid or both in tow most of the time. Wife will not fish, I didn't get that lucky.

Thanks, guys, any help is appreciated. Any fishing advise is helpful as well but I can work that out for myself. Mostly looking for the put in, take out and leave it there details. 20 years ago we left a tinny at Pine point, Cowichan for a few hours out of site of our spot and it was gone, people saw but didn't realize it was being stolen.

James

This is very much my same question but looking for a little more specifics of the campsites if anyone is willing to share or pm.

Have van and hard top tent trailer, 12ft tinny sits on top or canoe but not both, kids 12 and 9, wife that is not too interested in a rec site, she prefers the Gordon bay or French beach approach but willing to extend a little more.

We are looking at mid to late August, during the week and into a weekend, have heard great things about LB but any sites available are gone before my computer can think twice. Have tried for 2 years and can't get a a spot.

Looking at Morton or either Buttle lake spots. Have heard good about all but questions are more aimed at boat access and leaving at beach? Can put wheels on tinny but is it too far to walk boat from Morton spot 18 to lake launch? To Mahun lake launch? Can I chain boat up overnight when at camp site? Am I better off with the canoe?

How about Buttle? Can I leave tinny at beach, what sites are suggested if this was available? Better fishing end of the lake?

I will be on the water at 4 till 10 every morning, spend day with family on a few hikes and then back on water in evening. Hopefully one kid or both in tow most of the time. Wife will not fish, I didn't get that lucky.

Thanks, guys, any help is appreciated. Any fishing advise is helpful as well but I can work that out for myself. Mostly looking for the put in, take out and leave it there details. 20 years ago we left a tinny at Pine point, Cowichan for a few hours out of site of our spot and it was gone, people saw but didn't realize it was being stolen.

James

Both of the Buttle sites and the Morton site fill up so get reservations done where you choose. I've stayed a Morton several times and always just left my boat on the beach with no probs, there's usually a couple there. I've done it with a 14' tinny or a 10'6" zodiac and never had an issue, the care takers site is very near by. The lakes over on that side will be warmer for swimming but Buttle is way more scenic in the mountains. The fish taste better and are generally bigger from the Buttle chain, Wolf River is great fishing and exploring you can boat right up to under the falls. There's a great site there and at Mt Titus that are boat access too but that won't work for you by the sound of things. Ralph River or the Narrows have fine swimming access for the kids but the water is cold, I doubt a 12 and 9 year old will care if the sun is shining though. If you stay at the Narrows go to Wolf river to fish, if you stay at Ralph River go to Phillips Creek or just out from the site go south to the narrow part of the lake, trolling a Cowichan spoon in Buttle is usually very productive. Mohun is fun to explore around with all the little islands and great picnic spots, the West Arm is good fishing small fish but lots so it would be good for the kids. If you go there you MUST check out the little swimming beach about a third of the way down the east side of the lake it's a white sandy beach with a crazy drop off, I can park my 19' on the beach and it's like 20' deep off the back it seems totally out of place on this lake but it's a fantastic spot. There's also a private site at the south end of Mohun that seems popular but I've never been there and the good fishing is at the other end of the lake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks Triplenickel, that's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. Sounds like we wouldn't be unhappy anywhere. I have not been to Strathcona since I was a teenager and I am sure it has changed quite a bit in 30 years. My wife really wants into loveland but sounds like Morton would be just as nice?

Anyone else? James

Wow, thanks Triplenickel, that's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. Sounds like we wouldn't be unhappy anywhere. I have not been to Strathcona since I was a teenager and I am sure it has changed quite a bit in 30 years. My wife really wants into loveland but sounds like Morton would be just as nice?

Anyone else? James

Nah they're all great spots, personally Loveland Bay doesn't appeal to me when there's so many free rec sites within a few km's. IMO the only real difference is you don't get to buy expensive firewood at the rec sites but there's enough old logging around it's pretty easy to get a few days worth of wood from a cull pile on the way in. There's a degree of freedom that comes with avoiding the Provincial park sites like being able to have your dog off leash without getting yelled at, and all the rec sites have tables, shitters and fire rings.

I concur great area! We stayed at loveland bay 2 yrs ago the guy kept it really nice. Were not normally pay site people but we rolled in so late and got lost so we spent a night there. So many spots. Id suggest grabbing a backroads map book if you dont have one.

Im sad with the price of gas I dont think ill plan more then one or two trips up there from Vic this year.

Many moons ago we used to go farther north or west but this time we are looking for all things, I think everyone has hit that age. Kids want and need some freedom but in a place where they have a decent shot at meeting other kids, wife prefers a little more civillity hense the tent trailer which she is very happy with, ground was getting a little hard. Me I have a hammock or could sleep on the rocks as long as I get to fish, drink a few pops and NOT think about work. Seems to take me 4 or 5 days to get to that point.

I will be spending a few hours with the backroad map and checking out the rec sites when we are up there. I see quite a few but many are very small. My family holidays always end up at mid-late August, we spend alot of time on school work and my work schedule is somewhat controlled. I know it is impossible to find a spot at the rec sites on cowichan at this time of year and even most of the smaller ones farther west so we didn't want to risk getting up to Campbell river and finding same issue. Few more years and wife and I will go back to the stop when and where we want mentality.

Will find wood at a pile, there's always one around. I agree about dog off leash but with current hound that is not a possible anyways, Several calls from the pound have confirmed that. Rescue dog with issues, love him but he was abused and full of anxiety.

Looking forward to this year, hopefully more relaxing than last years debacle! Let's just say vehicle issue, dog issue, flu issue, new allergy issue. May take a couple more years before we look back and find it funny!! Oh yeah, it rained!!

James

Many moons ago we used to go farther north or west but this time we are looking for all things, I think everyone has hit that age. Kids want and need some freedom but in a place where they have a decent shot at meeting other kids, wife prefers a little more civillity hense the tent trailer which she is very happy with, ground was getting a little hard. Me I have a hammock or could sleep on the rocks as long as I get to fish, drink a few pops and NOT think about work. Seems to take me 4 or 5 days to get to that point.

I will be spending a few hours with the backroad map and checking out the rec sites when we are up there. I see quite a few but many are very small. My family holidays always end up at mid-late August, we spend alot of time on school work and my work schedule is somewhat controlled. I know it is impossible to find a spot at the rec sites on cowichan at this time of year and even most of the smaller ones farther west so we didn't want to risk getting up to Campbell river and finding same issue. Few more years and wife and I will go back to the stop when and where we want mentality.

Will find wood at a pile, there's always one around. I agree about dog off leash but with current hound that is not a possible anyways, Several calls from the pound have confirmed that. Rescue dog with issues, love him but he was abused and full of anxiety.

Looking forward to this year, hopefully more relaxing than last years debacle! Let's just say vehicle issue, dog issue, flu issue, new allergy issue. May take a couple more years before we look back and find it funny!! Oh yeah, it rained!!

James

I'm sure you'll have fun and it sounds like you got it figured but feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the backroads up that way.

Later, John

Back