camping in the Shuswap

TinCup

heading to Shuswap right after August long. gonna be my fam with 2 young kids(5&3) meeting friends from fort McMurray who also have a young child. got it narrowed down to 2 campgrounds. Cottonwood which is on Shuswap, and Woodhaven campground which is on White Lake. 2 polar opposites in the way they are setup. cotton is your typical shuswap campround 160 sites a couple beaches etc. the other is a smaller 40 site but are spread out more and alot more trees and privacy, both have all amenities, i am just assuming that cotton would feel much more like being in a small town packed like sardines and woodhaven would be more like true camping. anyone ever stayed at either of these or have another to suggest?

With kids, I would go Shuswap as there will be more for them to do, like swimming. If you plan on fishing, both lakes will be slow but you can target trout off a downrigger in the big lake and even though you can't target Chinook, they will be around as by catch.

Kids love campfires and swimming so if this trip is about them, try to find a site with both assuming there is no campfire ban at the time.

White Lake is nice too, not sure about recreational boating and swimming there however. Sounds like a blast! Pretty sure anyone living in Fort Mac will be in heaven no matter where you end up!

I've stayed at both, cottonwood is nice and all but the new owners are crazy….. $65 a night for a campsite + $25 for the boat per day+++++++?
After last year we vowed to never go back

yep, cottonwoods is very spendy for what you get. if you can go without hookups Adams lake provincial campgrounds or even shuswap provincial campgrounds are quite nice,

Thanks for the input decided to go for the White lake one. Gonna rent a pontoon boat for 1 day from the other rv site at the lake for only $150 for the day fuel incl. compared to $450 for one on shuswap. Apparantly white lake is really good for swimming, really warm and doesnt get rough. Also closer to salmon arm to take the kids to waterslides one day and let the wives look around town.

and the fishing is supposed to be fairly good there also. good choice!

Back