Campbell river prawning report

We were prawning in Baynes Sound and did almost the same, 4 traps, 1 hour soak and limited out for 2 guys. We dumped half of them back and soaked for another 40 min and pulled only big ones and dumped all the egg carryers back. We also picked up 3 Rock and 1 nice Dunge. Baynes Sound and Deep Bay are producing.

quote:Originally posted by Talons

We were prawning in Baynes Sound and did almost the same, 4 traps, 1 hour soak and limited out for 2 guys. We dumped half of them back and soaked for another 40 min and pulled only big ones and dumped all the egg carryers back. We also picked up 3 Rock and 1 nice Dunge. Baynes Sound and Deep Bay are producing.

sounds like there was alot down there. how big were they?

And I'll bet you will complain like hell the next time you go out and see 10 boats fishing those areas... gee- I wonder how they knew??

Baynes Sound is a huge area and its not my ocean, so you wont hear me complaining and within that Sound there are loads of areas for seafood.:D

We have not had any problems with the dozens of hotspots we have found between here and Campbell River, trial and error. Last time I was at Tree Island, did not have any problems. I totally disagree with you about the sound and avail food. Its got nothing to do with bragging, its passing on information about fishing to others within our fishing community. Its that old school attitude about keeping secrets that make it difficult for new comers to the island and the sport to break in and enjoy it like we do.

Nothing silly about passing on a little information. If this is silly, then lets tell everybody to keep their fishing holes, tips, tricks and advice a secret and everybody can fend for themselves.

I know the everybody for themselves attitude is not why joined this forum. I joined to learn a thing or two and expand my knowledge of the sport and island.

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, exactly , i think we all share info on here, maybe u gave up his secret hole, i think everyone here is to share with each other and learn from others[:p]

Boy, the prawning in the Pacific Ocean was awesome last weekend! :D

Well, C.A., you're kinda right and wrong in some ways. I think some information is better left quiet but sometimes guys get a bit extreme. I recall on more than one occasion when I was learning a lot of stuff and when I asked a guy who had just caught a fish a queston, all I got was a stupid reply or no reply. There's a fine line I guess: there's no need to broadcast everything, but there's no need to be a jerk about it either. I like your idea about perhaps sending an e-mail for the sensitive stuff. And now when guys ask me questions if they see me having some success, I'm happy to help with any information I can provide. But we can all be jerks at times, especially me. Sorry about that. [8D]

I agree with Red Monster, some guys are extreme and I have been in your shoes with trying to get information about fishing from oldtimers, very difficult when new to the island and sport. Do you send the same (Shhh keep it quiet) email to people that give advice about Hali fishing in Vic or Sockeye at China Creek or when the best time to fish Telegraph Cove or Cougar Creek. Our prawn haul wasnt bragging because there has been and will be times when we get skunked and I will post that too. It was merely passing on info (Was SalmonKiller bragging?)Not at all, passing on info. Next time I will not be specific to make CA happy.:)
Apology accepted.
I wont be looking for your buoys, so it will remain a secret...:D:D

Pacific Net & Twine on the Alberni Highway has some used commercial prawn traps in great shape for $40 each right now (and 350 ft of rope for $50). Large stainless round traps with heavy mesh. I only needed one otherwise would have got more. I am not affliated with the store.

We got our limit for the three of us (600). The prawns were not the largest but normal for this time of year good mixture of medium and large,
A few females (thrown back) but had :)a good time.

I am on the water in Baynes sound every day.

Since this post appeared a short time ago there have been WAY more boats prawning the holes than before.

I have seen more this week than in the 6 weeks prior to your post combined.

Even today in the ****ty weather there were 2 boats on the spot by 8am!

Nice work.

Since this post appeared a short time ago there have been WAY more boats prawning the holes than before.

Nice work.

quote:Originally posted by streamhopper

Nice work.
It was posted 5 days ago, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fog lifting. Havent seen them at our spot.
Time to find another hole, lots around the sound:D

quote:Originally posted by streamhopper

Nice work.
It was posted 5 days ago, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fog lifting. Havent seen them at our spot.
Time to find another hole, lots around the sound:D

Had it been foggy for 6 weeks??? Was today or yesterday a "beautiful" day that should bring out more people? Nope.

Just think you should be less specific is all. I'm not out there prawning, just notice the traffic.

Had it been foggy for 6 weeks??? Was today or yesterday a "beautiful" day that should bring out more people? Nope.

Just think you should be less specific is all. I'm not out there prawning, just notice the traffic.

Streamhopper,
Mayber we are talking about different sounds because this past week is the only week it hasnt been foggy in a while from the Comox side, so obviously the boats didnt come from Comox. We are out there alot and a lot of boats go out from DI, drop traps and leave. Not all buoys are the size of a mid size truck, see tons of traps (marked with milk jugs or small markers)every time we are out there but very few boats. No need to flog a dead horse about the area, as it was already stated in previous posts.

Streamhopper,
Mayber we are talking about different sounds because this past week is the only week it hasnt been foggy in a while from the Comox side, so obviously the boats didnt come from Comox. We are out there alot and a lot of boats go out from DI, drop traps and leave. Not all buoys are the size of a mid size truck, see tons of traps (marked with milk jugs or small markers)every time we are out there but very few boats. No need to flog a dead horse about the area, as it was already stated in previous posts.

Back