Campbell River Boaters/Fishers 4-600 block Island Highway

doonhamer

Heads up, broken rods some even lost destroyed
I see several times over the last week boats on trailers heading into CR where the road work work is happening.
many of you are dragging them through the low branches of those trees especially on 500 block .. seen several hauled out and driven over or tips the broken off . one left dangling in the tree .... some really nice reels ..scrap..

Last edited:
Saw a 'High Flyer' in downtown CR last month just asking for what you're talking about-beyond dumb.

I loaded up last night at ken ford, got 30 seconds into my routine and the creel survey fella showed up to do his thing. Finished up, got a few blocks down the road and remembered I had 4 rods up in the radar arch still. Lol The creel guy distracted me from my routine!

just hoping to save someone a buck or two..north bound lanes , sadto see at the weekend,,, worse : no salvage on any of them..

Last edited:
Went through there this morning and hadn't seen this post yet. The city ought to do something about it. It's not just a chance u might touch the tops of your rods, the top 2 feet of the rods were in the thick hedge like tree hanging over the road. Went slow and no damage but wow! Thanks for the post on here wish I'd seen it before I drove through it lol.

Most trees near main roads are trimmed to 4-5m of clearance give or take. Rods or nets standing up you're asking for trouble no matter where you are!

Talked to some City managers, there is a service call in to check it out.
It is stated that municipal commercial vehicle clearance is 4 metres.
Hopefully this problem area can be sorted out.

Most trees near main roads are trimmed to 4-5m of clearance give or take. Rods or nets standing up you're asking for trouble no matter where you are!

possibly the drought like conditions are making those branches hang lower.. not sure , the reefer trucks seem to be doing a bit of pruning.. definitely one particular branch is gone , city or?
I agree , when you see boats on trailers and rods in launchers, top of some of those rods must be at 17', so even service lines in residential could get them.

On the other hand road was closed last night, as the contractor dug up the gas main ... :( Plenty of "managers" right there ..

Rod busters aside, that is one of the most disorganized construction sites i’ve ever seen. the other day wife and i were approaching and there was a row of cones seperating traffic; no signs or barricades. we proceed thru and down the corner and proceed to almost drive into the back of a front end loader right into the construction zone now all these workers are yelling at us. i point behind us and show them. ( three vehicles followed me btw ) they saw the blunder and half butt apologized. the traffic control person had left their post at the top of the hill ....days before i was riding my bike thru the area where the bike lane should be ( again no signage ) and the lane opened up into a big pit.

Rod busters aside, that is one of the most disorganized construction sites i’ve ever seen. the other day wife and i were approaching and there was a row of cones seperating traffic; no signs or barricades. we proceed thru and down the corner and proceed to almost drive into the back of a front end loader right into the construction zone now all these workers are yelling at us. i point behind us and show them. ( three vehicles followed me btw ) they saw the blunder and half butt apologized. the traffic control person had left their post at the top of the hill ....days before i was riding my bike thru the area where the bike lane should be ( again no signage ) and the lane opened up into a big pit.

Yep ,they certainly have some problems there not sure how that project was laid out and scheduled, or by whom, whether the city and or the contractor. Traffic control and policing is bad, and certainly you have to be on your toes driving through there , but there also are far also too many ignorant assholes driving through there.. could say plenty , but now only a retired PM Superintendent ...

Last edited:
Back