Buying US Boats

jimbob

Can't find the old thread on this. What are the costs of buying a boat in the US and bringing iy into Canada? Taxes if any? Import duty?

Did it 2 year ago.

RIV fee of $214 at the border.

No duty if the boat is North American made

PST/GST on the boat at the border (cash or credit card only, no cheques). GST only on the trailer (PST when you register).

You must have a Bill of Sale for the Boat and a second one for the trailer.

You must have a photocopy of the cheque or money order that matches the bill of sale (no phony invoices).

The VIN for the boat and trailer must match the bill of sale (triple check) or they will turn you around.

You have to have temporary plates for EACH STATE that you are towing through, plus the BC plate or smoky will git cha.

Engines and electronics are considered part of the boat so load up on deals that you can get down there, but make sure the stuff is installed on the boat, not in boxes.

That's all I can remember. Do a google search as there are some buying guides that lay out the details.

quote:You have to have temporary plates for EACH STATE that you are towing through, plus the BC plate or smoky will git cha.

Humm- not the case for me. I bought my boat from Oregon last year and the dealer was authorized to issue a temp license sticker. ( I got replacement coverage on the boat and trailer from my local Insurance dealer first before I moved it north) The dealer issued license was good for BC, Or and Wash for 3 months. Drove all over the place on the island getting stuff put on the boat, getting the trailer inspected, showing the boat to my insurance company and never had even so much as a question from anyone.

I know BC Or and Wa have reciprocal agreements so this is probably why I didnt have any problems. Maybe its different in some states.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Here is a cost that needs to be considered.

trCADUSD.jpg

You can contact your bank and ask what the buy rate is.

Multi-State Single-Trip Permits are issued under the Western Regional Permitting Agreement ("WASHTO"). Under the terms of the agreement, each member state may issue regional permits allowing operations in any other member state. The following states are currently members of the Western Regional Agreement: Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, and Oklahoma, Louisiana, Nevada. I don't know about BC.

The trip permits are good for three days at a time and you can buy multible permits. The dealer in Oregon should not have issued a temp, as they are only to be used if the dealer is getting you a plate in that state.

If the boat is Oversize or Overweight you can get the permits from:

Washington
Department of Transportation
PO Box 47367
7345 Linderson Way
Olympia WA 98504-7367
OR
Calling (360) 704-6340.

Oregon
Motor Carrier Transportation Division, Over-Dimension Permit Unit
550 Capitol Street NE, Salem OR
Phone 503-373-0000 - Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Walk-In Counter Service - Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

California
For California trip permits, contact the California Department of Motor Vehicles at 916-657-7971; or they can be obtained at truck stops outside of California.

For California oversize or overweight permits, contact the California Department of Transportation (CALTRANS), South Region Permits at 909-383-4637. You will need the Pickup Location, the Drop off Location and your proposed route faxed to them. They will then approve or change your route and issue a permit.

Wheee! I beat the system!!
quote:The trip permits are good for three days at a time and you can buy multible permits. The dealer in Oregon should not have issued a temp, as they are only to used if the dealer is getting you a plate in that state.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I've seen some really good deals on boats in Florida lately.

What would be the best way to bring one back from there?

Boat mover, or do-it-yourself?

I have heard that trains are really cheap for transporting cars over long distances, but can they move boats?

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

I've seen some really good deals on boats in Florida lately.

What would be the best way to bring one back from there?

Boat mover, or do-it-yourself?

I have heard that trains are really cheap for transporting cars over long distances, but can they move boats?

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Sure they can. Look in the yellow pages for vehicle movers. Easier if the boat is on a trailer. Probably want to have the boat wrapped before transport as it beats the snot out of the boat moving via train. I'd guess about $2k to bring a boat that distance.

Be very very careful buying from Florida. I'd use a reputable boat broker/inspector and be real sure you're not buying a storm damaged vessel.

Personally, I'd be looking in California. There are some wicked deals right now as there are a bunch of dealers in bankrupcy. Saw a brand new 29' Striper Pilothouse with twin D4 diesels going for $US120K. Two years ago this boat was $230K.

I bought a used boat in the US last year when the CAD was high. It was a breeze. MAKE SURE you have the proper DECAL on the Trailer, mine was partially missing and it cost me a bit to get a new one fedexed up, plus you have to get the extra day's insurance to take it back to Canadian tire - the original insurance is only from where you pick it up to your home.
I was at the Los Angeles Boat Show earlier this month after being at the Vancouver boat show.
Some GREAT prices on NEW boats. And if the exchange rate was back at par or better, I'd say some boats at about 1/2 price.

Power on its own wasn't much of a deal though.

Fishin' anywhere anytime for anything

when I bought mine out of florida, I put the hauling job up for bids ou u-ship.com, its like ebay, with feedback ratings and stuff. The guy I hired got the job for 3500$, brought it to Port Angeles, then I met him there and took it across the border. I would highly reccomend using a customs broker as well. Good luck!

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

when I bought mine out of florida, I put the hauling job up for bids ou u-ship.com, its like ebay, with feedback ratings and stuff. The guy I hired got the job for 3500$, brought it to Port Angeles, then I met him there and took it across the border. I would highly reccomend using a customs broker as well. Good luck!

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Same here...uship is best way to go.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Don't use a guy on Uship that goes by "Kodiak" he "specializes" in shipping to the Pacific Northwest. Unfortunately he is a major scam artist.

I have imported 2 boats from the US. Last one was in November 2008. The process is easy, but as noted in earlier posts make sure you have all your paperwork before you cross the border. Get all your bank transfer documents to verify how much you paid against your bill of sale and title. Try U ship to arrange a bid on your transportation. I had the guy meet me in Blaine Wash, then to the Pacific Truck crossing - don't go to the Peace Arch as they will not do boats.

Big issue now is the exchange. It is hardly worth it now in my opinion. I was lucky - dollar was at par when we made the deal and by the time I paid the rest of the cash I owed it was at $.95 - ouch. I would buy local if you can find what you want as it will cost you a minimum of $4000 for transport and factor in another $1000 for fees and things you will need to do to your boat trailer to get it registered here successfully.

Unless you can get your boat for a minumum of $20,000 less than you are able to get it here - don't bother.

Back