Buying boat from USA with 4 partners. Any special considerations?

One thing to consider is how you plan to pay for the boat. If you are taking large sums of currency down with you (cash, travellers cheques and bank drafts) you need to declare it at both the Canadian and USA borders on the way down. I got grief at the American border for not having gone in to the Canadian side first. Also, if you buy from Oregon make sure you get a separate bill if sale signed by the vendor showing the sale prices. The standard state bill of sale doesn't have a price, due to no sales tax in Oregon.

Also, I would not use a broker. You should be in and out if the border in 20 minutes if everything is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all if your actually going to do it, buy a trailer here and take it down to pick up the hull. I've brought in anything you can think of (tractor truck car boat rv) and the boat trailer was the worst by far if you get the wrong border guy you will sitting there a while or coming back another day. I cant remember but the paperwork might have to be at the border 3 days prior to your arrival with the vehicle.

Secondly we realistically have 4 months of good boating weather and you are sure you want to divide the sunny non windy days by 4? Also how is it going to work when one of your partner buries a log and your end up writing another cheque for 5,000$ to pay for his mistake.
Please keep us updated this might make a good book.

The obvious is this thread is over a year old with no update as of yet.

Bad idea imho. I have 1 partner and it 1 too many lol. It does cut the cost down substantialy though. Maintainace and upgrades become more affordable. Ive been partners with my Dad and my best bud and there will always be some kind of tesnsion it seems...

I share a boat with family and that is rough sometimes...can't think of 3 buddies that I could share a boat with that wouldn't result in less buddies.

I have brought everything but a boat in from the US, make sure you have the money sorted out first...had a bank want to hold my bank draft for 30 days until it cleared...they were not sure that Coast Capital was a real bank.

this being an older thread...did it work out? Did you get the boat...do you still have friends?

I brought about 3 boats back from the US now. The latest being about 4 weeks ago. PM me if you have any questions. Lots of info provided here but I might be able to help you with anything other than you picked up off this thread.

Back