Buying a boat online

Highliner

Does anyone have any experince buying a fishing boat online. Maybe on Ebay or Yachtworld? How can you get the boat checked out? Does the shipping cost negate any savings you might find? Any info or experince would be helpful.

Tips up,

Highliner

I've known 2 people that have bought a used boat through http://www.boattraderonline.com/newadsearch.html Both bought a walkaround cuddy, one a Grady White and the other a Hydra-Sport. They saved thousands on dollars off buying a comparable boat around the northwest. One came from Caifornia and the other from Florida. It's not cheap to have them haulded but they said they still came out way ahead because the cost of the boat was so much cheaper. Fishing boats like walkaround cuddy's etc are very popular in Calfornia and the Gulf Coast states such as Florida and therefore the used price is considerably less. Just how to be comfortable buying a boat sight unseen I don't know. The two people I know both paid to have a good survey done, with tons of digital photos, once they had focused in on a particular boat. I came close to buying one myself from Florida but lucked into a great deal here. Hope this helps.

what about duties and registering the boat as a Canadian vessel, does anybody know what kind of costs there associated with that?

I bought a 26 Tollycraft out of Michigan. Was looking for more of a cruiser style that would also fish well. It was listed thru a broker (I think boatquest) The price was so good compared to the west coast (about half) that I bought it with the assurances from the broker it was as close to turn key as could be. The survey they quoted was only $250 u.s. I know this subsect was covered extremely well on a previous thread but just remember the boat can be brought in & just pay the GST at the border. If the trailer is U.S. its not been approved by transport canada & that becomes the difficult part. Best & easiest way is buy the boat on line, have it surveyed, if its more on the expensive side then fly down to see it! Get the hull dimensions, set up a canadian trailer (proper wt capacity) & go bring it back (truck with rated tow capacity & proper hitches etc). Keep the boat dimensions under 12 ft in height, & 10 ft or less beam & you shouldn't have any trouble with transport permits etc. Just remember to have ALL the paperwork (boat bill of sale, title in your name, draft ie payment receipt, trailer papers, bill of sale) etc and there should be no trouble at the border.

I bought my boat thru yachtworld.com. It was in washington state so the traveling was easy. Once i was set on one boat had it surveyed, all good. I had to get insurance in the temp insurance in the state to get it to the border $30, and arranged floater insurance thru icbc.At the border just show them your receipt pay gst and away you go. At that time we payed the $180 that was for taking the trailer to get inspected and even got our k numbers. Easy as spring fishing on the west coast. And saved half the price of a boat locally.[8D]

does anybody know what it costs to have a transport company, transport a boat from the USA to Canada? I know different areas will be more or less but I'm just trying to get a ball park idea?

Lots of good info in the link that bankers hours posted.

Poppa I had a boat shipped from Southern California to Blaine WA USA and it cost me Just under $2000.00 If a remember correctly to have it towed. You can have it put on a flat bed but that will cost a little more and you have to find someone to lift it on and off the bed.

If you were to have it shipped across the boarder you would have to envolve a customs broker and I found that more hassel.

It was quite simple once I had all the right paper work to clear customs at the boarder. Just gave them my visa card and the papers and I was done in less than 20min.
Good luck :)

ya thats good advice to cross the board on your own and not with a customs broker. A little more then I expected but that's still a good deal with the price of boats down there.

I'm looking at doing the same thing, and got a quote of $4500USD plus an unspecified "fuel surcharge" to move a 2452 on it's trailer from Northeast, in Maine, to Sidney, BC. They didn't specify if this was to tow it on it's trailer, or load it onto a flatdeck.

www.360boattransport.com

We've considered towing, but it would take about 60+ hours to drive each way, and cost a couple of thousand in fuel. Add accommodations and vehicle wear and tear, and $5000USD souds like a good deal.

From what I've been able to learn so far, the issue at the border with trailers are that they must have the correct GVWR for the whole unit and the correct brake system for that GVWR. Anything over 5500 pounds - boat, trailer and contents - must have brakes. I was told by an RV dealer that surge brakes aren't good enough for this weight, they have to be electrically operated. I have yet to confirm that officially.

Also online, I got a price of $16USD/foot for a hull survey. A mechanical survey would be separate.

hmm well I talked to an oregon boat dealer and he said it was generally cheaper to find a transport company in washington state and have them bring the boat to the border then cross the border yourself and deal with the customs, import etc.

I was quoted $399 to bring the boat from portland OR, to Blaine WA - pretty damn good if you ask me.

There might be a steep increase once you start going east though.

I bought an 1989 bayliner 2455 sunbridge, I like it, as it suits my needs. I still dream of a grady from the east coast though!

just got some follow up information for anyone interested, I was quoted $4222 to move a grady white from the rhode island to washington state - a little steep but still a good deal overall.

I've puchased two boats from US sellers on ebay...no big problems either time. I met with the sellers at the Canadian side of the border crossing where I paid the taxes and stuff.
Customs Canada can answer your questions about registration. Remember, if the boat is on a trailer it will be imported as a vehicle.
Todd Rickard
Charter Fishing Prince Rupert B.C.
www.silversuncharters.com

bump to the top for a fellow friend...

Back