Buy your coyote's now!

S

SIR

Don't know if this is old news to everyone else but it was news to me that Luhr Jensen is supposed to have outsourced their lure manufacturing to China.

Given my track record with Chinese steel I'm buying up all the wonderbread and copcars I can find from last years stock cause I'm going to start changing the hooks on even the new ones from now on....

Yet another great product moves to China for cheaper manufacturing, sigh.

that does not please me, i heard that a while back and did not impress me.

dang im just forced to buy, yet again, more fishing gear;)

quote:Originally posted by SIR

Don't know if this is old news to everyone else but it was news to me that Luhr Jensen is supposed to have outsourced their lure manufacturing to China.

Given my track record with Chinese steel I'm buying up all the wonderbread and copcars I can find from last years stock cause I'm going to start changing the hooks on even the new ones from now on....

Yet another great product moves to China for cheaper manufacturing, sigh.

Yeah..it's sucky..Luhr Jensen was bought out.

I've noticed that in recent batches, certain spoons had finish problems or were not painted with quality paint even though it says it was "Made in the USA".

Case in point, the glow finishes no longer "glow" the way they once did. One of my faves, the "Glo/Flo" literally doesn't glow!!! I'd have a hard time believing they were made in the USA...same thing with the Night Riders.

Fishing the "old stock" against the "new stock" which apparently is still made in the USA, the "old stock" with repeatability will outfish the new.

I managed to get my hands on some of the OLD OLD Diamonod Kings in the 4.0 Size, now that's a great spoon!---these are thicker---heavier gauge metal---painted awesome! Put on a 4/0 Mustad or Eagle Claw and they work awesome!

I'd use the Tomic spoons more, they seem to do ok but I haven't seen anything magical out of these..and I've found them on the expensive side...just wondering if anyone else likes the Roadrunners? I've got a couple of purple Haze roadrunners in 530 and 500 and they don't catch squat.

Anyone else have something to say about Tomic spoons? That may be an alternative as other spoons go the way of the Dino.

i did notice the night rider spoon doesn have the same glow that older more teeth battered spoons did, i got a few dymara spoons i may try out but i dont much the action in comparison to the coyotes.

i've started to buy the tomic spoons purely on a gut feeling.
hopefully they work well

I have used the tomic spoons and i think they work well. I like the purple haze and 632 both in 5inch size . last time out at Contance bank the 632 was hot .[8D]

quote:Originally posted by frayedknot

I have used the tomic spoons and i think they work well. I like the purple haze and 632 both in 5inch size . last time out at Contance bank the 632 was hot .[8D]

i agree, have good success with #402 tomic spoons.
good action, a little wider at the hook end gives a good
side wiggle

anybody use or have experience with radiant lure spoons made in victoria? i have a few in un opened packages i was going to try this summer?

kewl...so does anybody use them and do thye work and are they already made in china??? guess i was fooled i thought since they came from victoria they must be tried an true winners from local folks!

Lure Jensen was purchased by Normark last year and yes they have moved considerable jobs and manufacturing to the Orient. I met a guy thats affiliated with Tomic at the Evergreen Sportsman Show in Monroe, Washington USA. I will be trying to use the Tomics as often as is possible behind the KoneZone Flashers. Buy North American and support the local economy.

uhh.... yes Luhr Jensen was bought out by Normark. BUT they are still producing coyotes because they are still a good source of money.

quote:Originally posted by Mongoose

uhh.... yes Luhr Jensen was bought out by Normark. BUT they are still producing coyotes because they are still a good source of money.

Well, I'd be surprised if Luhr Jensen doesn't have their manufacturing ops moved offshore in due time. Their days are numbered!

However, speaking of spoons, I've just discovered a new spoon which makes the Luhr Jensen Coyote quality look like crap! They're painted in all the best colours, and have a better quality painting, and they're a heavier spoon than Tomics/Coyotes.

Going to have to test fish these off against a Coyote and see who wins---and I'll report back.

BTW, I've had good success with Dymaras. Out of the package---they suck. I replace the treble hook with a 4/0 or 5/0 Single Mustad or Eagle Claw Clawpoint, and I put a bigger dish in the spoon with my thumb as a general guide--this gives it more a "spooning" action, and then I slightly bend the top of the spoon out. I have a Charlie Special that now has 60 "keeper" 25 inch springs to it's credit, and it still looks good! A Coyote would be toast by now.

Has anyone ever seen Coyotes come with a treble? I recently purchased a batch with all trebles and I'd never seen them with the trebles.

TT

Oh ya.... I would have to say that my two favorite coyotes are the "Funky Chicken" and the 50/50 Bronze/Silver. These two spoons have been very good to me over the years with plenty of fish over 30 pounds on them.

TT

quote:Originally posted by totally tyee

Has anyone ever seen Coyotes come with a treble? I recently purchased a batch with all trebles and I'd never seen them with the trebles.

TT

Yes, I have. I get rid of them, they're a nusance on spoons. They look like VMC hooks, which are a good quality hook. I tie them up in tandem and rig my plugs with 2 of them snelled together---replace with a Mustad 9510 on your Coyotes.

Got a question for you about coyotes - the ones I'm familiar with have fur and teeth and love gut piles and I am also wondering about cop cars which I am occasionally familiar with..does anyone have a photo available of some? Just curious.
quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

quote:Originally posted by totally tyee

TT

Yes, I have. I get rid of them, they're a nusance on spoons. They look like VMC hooks, which are a good quality hook. I tie them up in tandem and rig my plugs with 2 of them snelled together---replace with a Mustad 9510 on your Coyotes.

Non fur bearing coyotes are made by Luhr Jensen, available everywhere fine tackle is sold, even Cdn Tire.
Cop Car is your basic black and white, used to good effect to get Mr Salmon to pull over and take a bite.
No tackle box is complete without the Watermelon, Wonderbread, and Funky Chicken.
http://www.luhrjensen.com/prod_lure_select.cfm?Stock=5841&CategoryID=20

Interestingly, the LJ site doesn't show all the wonderful colour combinations available. Nor do the Coyotes shown have the small silver blade at the tail. I've had the feeling that it was the addition of the blade at the tail that made the Coyotes the go to spoon.

I make sure that every Coyote I buy has the extra little willow leaf blade on the split ring with the hook. Each tackle shop decides what color patterns and hook/blade setups they want. LJ is now also allowing individual tackle shops to create "custom" lure colors. Sam at PRO has added a few darker black spots to the Wonderbread and called it a Procrastinator. So expect more confusion as shops ply custom coyotes....

FYI Kipper the wonderbread is a creamy colored spoon with rainbow colored dots over it. They are all handpainted so they are all a little different and I'm color blind so not the best person to be descibeing spoon colors :)

hey all, as i have never fished spoons before, do you set them up behind a flasher? if so what set up works best????

Back