burnt ground wires

happy hooker

Crew Member
I recently got a tower with lights, rocket launchers etc installed on my boat. Got her home last night and noticed that what look like ground wires on the upper boat side of the leg were burnt/melted off. There is evidence of fire/melting in the form of carbon residue.
The guy who fabricated the tower says he knows nothing about it and my mechanic is away until May 6. Anyone have any idea what could have happened? I know it wasnt like that when I dropped it off.
Sean

Oh I should mention that its an aluminum Hewes with a 150 4 stroke Yammi and 9.9 Yammi. The kicker has the same ground? wires but they are fine. All 2007.

Is it possible the fabricator welded the tower while it was on your boat??? If he did and the battery was not disconnected I believe that can be a problem. I know that when any welding is done on a vehicle you ALWAYS disconnect the battery.

he says he didnt, nothing seems to be wrong with anything else electrically, all systems working, motor trims up and down and runs.

Not to Hi-Jack, but lets see some picts of the tower and work on the boat. I have a Hewes as well and want to put on an arch. Who did the work and approx cost would be great.

Cheers

SS

Is it possible the leg was touching the ground when the work was done and you had 2 paths to ground while the welding was done?

Well i got her in to the Yammi dealer in Penticton and was not a big deal. Put a couple new wires on and she's good as new. They figure he was welding the tower on the ground while grounded to the boat and the tower somehow touched the leg creating a circuit and melting the wires. No damage done....pheeew! Sitka I will post some pics of the tower later this afternoon when the wife gets home with the camera. Cost was $1500 including custom tower, 8 rocket launchers,2 net/ gaff holders, 2 forward facing halogen lights and one rear facing, moorage light, all wire and wiring, and all switches. All top of the line marine grade. Tower also has 4 quick release pins to remove it or fold it down and the wiring has plugs right under the connection to the gunwale for ease when removing/folding back. It also has a tow post for wakeboarding/tubing/waterskiing. Great job, I'm really happy with it aside from the burnt wire issue. After talking to the Yammi guys, the fabricator probably didnt even notice when it happened.

Hey Happy nice ride!!. Are you down sizing or expanding your fleet. Cheers FC.

quote:Originally posted by fah cups

Hey Happy nice ride!!. Are you down sizing or expanding your fleet. Cheers FC.

No this was a step up for me. Had a 19' explorer cc w/115 before. This was my dream boat for years and I finally just said F&%# it and got her last Aug. Couldnt be happier.

She's a beautiful looking ride! One word of advice from someone who has owned something very similar if I may...be cautious of burying the bow when running in big water, particularly watch the speed when coming down big swells that are stacked close together. The drains aren't sufficiently large enough to get water out of the scooped bow fast enough and with the added weight in the front the stern rises and you lose some steering control. Wasn't catastrophic for me but sure resulted in a high 'pucker factor' for a few minutes!
Have fun!

quote:Originally posted by ratherbefishing

She's a beautiful looking ride! One word of advice from someone who has owned something very similar if I may...be cautious of burying the bow when running in big water, particularly watch the speed when coming down big swells that are stacked close together. The drains aren't sufficiently large enough to get water out of the scooped bow fast enough and with the added weight in the front the stern rises and you lose some steering control. Wasn't catastrophic for me but sure resulted in a high 'pucker factor' for a few minutes!
Have fun!

Might be worth getting a canvas cover for the bow that snaps tight for when you are running in big water. I don't know how much weight it would withstand before collapsing under a big wave, but it should keep out some of the water is such a situation.

Nice boat!

Hey Happy
I didn't notice any zincs on you boat other than the outboard's.
If you don't have any may I suggest you look into it. I got couple welded on mine and they're sure getting chewed up.

cheers

quote:Originally posted by Gypseas

Hey Happy
I didn't notice any zincs on you boat other than the outboard's.
If you don't have any may I suggest you look into it. I got couple welded on mine and they're sure getting chewed up.

cheers
Ya I need a couple more for sure. Looking into it for my next service.
Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by Kris

Sweet boat...That is what I want. Where did you get her and how much?
I got her at Ogopogo Marine in Kelowna. If you're in Van you could call Bridgeview I believe in Langley. 20" with ET and 150 will set you back around 40K.

Back