Bunks

Don't know what the best is but if you have a aluminum boat make sure that you don't use treated lumber. It causes corrosion issues with the metal boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced a bunk on my trailer with pressure treated fir then treated the ends. Put on new bunk carpet and has been good ever since. I've got a glass boat.

Custom cut red cedar if you can get your hands on it. This is what I used on my trailer about 10 years ago, covered it with indoor/outdoor carpet and it has worked out fantastic. Carpet helps the boat slide up on the bunks, doesn't mark the boat and will last for ever.

Cheers

I have aluminum - it came with wood bunks covered with carpet. I soon noticed corrosion on the hull where it rests on the bunks. The carpet holds salt water against the aluminum - perfect conditions for corrosion.

The carpet also holds water against the wood. If the wood cannot dry out, it will break down more quickly.

I removed the carpet and the wood was starting to rot. I replaced the bunks with new D.Fir (higher grade for strength) and attached a layer of polypropyline plastic (not sure of spelling - this is what is used for cutting boards) on the upper surface.

That was 2 years ago. So far - so good. The boat slides very easily - both at launching and loading. (In fact, you have to be careful not to have too much speed when running the boat onto the trailer, the plastic is much more slippery than the carpet).

I haven't noticed any worsening of the corrosion. The plastic does not damage the aluminum. The wood is still in perfect condition.

I chose untreated Doug Fir because it is a lot stronger than cedar and the trailer is dry most of the time. If you keep your trailer outdoors, i would recommend cedar or pressure-treated fir.

Glass boats are a different story - would the plastic surface harm the glass hull?

I have an aluminum trailer with UHMW plastic on aluminum channel. Aluminum boat, but no bunk worries ever. Is slippery, so can not unhook bow until at water line.

I have an aluminum trailer with UHMW plastic on aluminum channel. Aluminum boat, but no bunk worries ever. Is slippery, so can not unhook bow until at water line.

"Slick" plastic bunks are the way to go IMO

I ordered two pieces of starboard from Industrial Plastics---3"x 120" and ran the router around the edges; then countersunk some holes and with stainless screws it was an easy upgrade. Not too slippery and separates the boat from the carpet. Works great!!

Back