BUnch of fishing gear stolen

RiverBoy

I had a friend get a bunch of fishing gear stolen out of his garage last week in Campbell River. Two scotty electric downriggers, Ace Line hauler, prawn traps, his golf clubs. He also had a bunch of rods taken. Nothing of major value like Sage or anything, but one rod was given to him by his deceased father. He is most upset about this. The Name " Dave Stephens " is painted on the rod butt under the clear coat. He has made an insurance claim, so I'm sure he'll get it all replaced, but the rod has sentimental value. If anyone sees anything, just pm me, that would be much appreciated. Thanks

hate to post the obvious but watch craigslist and check all your local pawnshops

For Victoria guys, bust lead to a bunch of stolen stuff being recovered. Was on the news last night. Want people to come forward. Noticed some new looking fish finder/sounder head units. Incase any one had something stolen this or last year.

(didn't want to start new thread. figured guys will be looking in here anyway)

hate to post the obvious but watch craigslist and check all your local pawnshops

You bet. Obvious has been looked at so far. Cops told my friend most stuff gets shipped down island to Nanaimo and farther south. Only a couple of pawn shops, and they get scrutinized hard in town. I just found out about the theft today, so I will scour CL for him. Pretty hard though. Scotty's, line haulers, prawn traps. Pretty generic. Other than a few typical identifiers, it all pretty much looks the same. Especially used hard, like most of our crap does.

You bet. Obvious has been looked at so far. Cops told my friend most stuff gets shipped down island to Nanaimo and farther south. Only a couple of pawn shops, and they get scrutinized hard in town. I just found out about the theft today, so I will scour CL for him. Pretty hard though. Scotty's, line haulers, prawn traps. Pretty generic. Other than a few typical identifiers, it all pretty much looks the same. Especially used hard, like most of our crap does.
yes for sure all replaceable, would be nice for him to get his fathers rods back tho if nothing else
cant replace sentiment

yes for sure all replaceable, would be nice for him to get his fathers rods back tho if nothing else
cant replace sentiment

Very true on the sentimental rod. For the other stuff that's what insurance is for.

High value items and those of sentimental value are best locked up in the house. An old cleaned up and painted school type steel locker are high enough for some rods when apart and can be modified to take even longer ones. They can be attached to the wall with very large wood screws and you can add fishing lead or full reloading lead shot bags in the bottom to make them very heavy to carry off. They are available some times at auctions etc at very reasonable cost and are worth looking for. Of course nothing can stop a really determined thief who has the tools and believes he can make noise and has lots of time and the skill to defeat your defenses but this will give him some pause.

Your motion activated game trail camera hidden with the flash turned of in your safe room may help the police get the dirt bag, if you have one. One of my brothers has one of the school type lockers and it is OK for longer objects, especially if you remove part of the shelf and it is designed to offer some protection and put a lock on. Do your measuring before you buy it. Use one of the cutting resistant designed round shielded stainless locks on the locker and the cheaper copies from China work just fine.

If you are good friends with a welder/fabricator your could get a tall safe made out of heavy used plate steel for a good price to protect those Sages, Islanders and other very expensive or sentimental gear with a couple of padlock tamper resistant designed sections built in like wilderness gates but it will likely cost you more than a case of beer. You could also put you guns in it if you hunt.

Remember it is not uncommon for a thief to comes back after you replace your expensive gear if he perceives that you are a juicy unprotected target who is not home a lot. Have a chat with you neighbors to keep an eye on things when your vehicle is gone if you trust them and consider an alarm system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering if he had an alarm and if so was it defeated? Cant trust anyone these days. If it is not bolted down or alarmed you might as well kiss it goodbye.

Sorry to hear stuff like this especially when some items can not be replaced no matter how much insurance coverage you have! I get so tired of thieves and low lives that have no sense of morals, and perhaps their brains fried by drugs use.
A 70+ year old got beat up by a younger criminal around the corner from where I live here in Edmonton just because a the older man tried to protect his property and the worst of it is that most of the police force is used for "speeding cash colection" road blocks instead of more actual crime.
Anyways, lets hope he finds atleast the items that are not replaceable.
Ray

Back