Building Fish Lockers

Brian Reiber

Does anyone have experience adding fish lockers to their floor? The search for a Double Eagle didn't pan out this year so we've decided to forge ahead with our perfectly good Campion 190 CC. All the upholstery is off and has been sent in to get recovered.

So.......as I look at all the other wish list items I can't help but notice that there is a ton of usable floor space that Campion could have put storage in. Due to the suspended floor system it looks like it should be real easy to add fish holds, etc. I was thinking of building boxes with rigid foam and then glassing them. I would add drains and plumb them into the bilge. The deck lids are readily purchasable locally or online. Does anyone have experience with a project like this.

Brian

Last edited:
Just a side note. I have a friend with a 22' Arima with belly fish pans that drain into the bilge. The drain tube is too small and is always stopped up with fish parts, blood and slime. The bilge smells like a sewer unless he pours clorox into it often. if you do it , make the drain tube large.

my in floor tanks are drained via a macerator pump and out through the transom. 1.5 inch suction hose to the pump. seems pretty effective, never had any trouble with the system.

Never drain into the bilge,Period.The only way to do it right is to plumb a macerator pump on a large drain and pump it overboard.Flush it out with your deckwash pump. The smell of fish remains will attract otters,mink,birds and that's a whole mess of trouble. Do it right or don't do it. IMO

Back