Bryce Casavant, who refused to kill bear cubs, removed from Conservation Service

I’ve run into Bryce a couple times . First time I met him I was out of town for the day and didn’t return home till late. My dog that never left the yard was run off likely by a predator and ended up on the highway by the Sproat river bridge, he was covered in mud and was sprinting down the middle of the highway. Bryce and his family loaded his muddy self into their nice vehicle , took him to their house, gave him a bath and then found who the owners were and returned him. Next time I saw him was at the park nicely playing with his kids who were really polite and nice kids and we chatted for awhile. Maybe he wasn’t great to work with a few years ago or maybe he has changed since but from what I’ve seen recently, he isnt the total piece of **** some people on here make him out to be. Some people get to work and instantly have their backs up and are different people vs out of work. I have witnessed this happen quite bit . Maybe that’s the case here, I don’t know. Not making excuses for him but thought I’d mention my experience with him.

Ya - sometimes it is hard for some to separate issues, Thunder. Some people also see things in black and white rather than shades of grey.

Often within government especially - there are poor bosses that don't feel comfortable with employees having their own minds - right or wrong. In the most extreme example - that's how the SS operated - top-down don't question the direction we gave you or "you gets the hose". And we know how that story ended-up. Bryce likely knew the "hose" would come and still did what he thought was right. I can't fault him on operating using morals - whether or not that was the right decision as far as his boss was concerned.

And this didn't even need to end-up in court causing taxpayers to foot the bill for Bryce's boss. It could have been handled differently by Bryce's boss. I believe that it is likely that Bryce's boss saw this event as an opportunity to punish one of his non-compliant underlings for past transgressions and set an example to the rest of his staff rather than letting this news article slide into a non-event. Cops and enforcement people and even lots of government types (e.g. DFO) often have a culture of control - which is what often attracts them to those positions. And one doesn't get promoted to Staff sergeant and above by bucking orders from above. Maybe this was the wrong work culture for Bryce, as well - so all's well that ends well.

I don't have enough info nor background to make any judgments about this story the precipitated this court case and us writing about it here online. But just because someone believes a person is a "problem employee" doesn't necessarily mean that person made the wrong decision for a specific event or wasn't well-intended if he/she did. And I'm still not convinced that saving the cubs was the wrong decision, neither.

Last edited:
Bryce is in the same boat as unicorns and pixy dust....

after destroying the CO service when he demanded that all CO's are killers and all new staff should not be hunters or have anything to do with wildlife. Yet, he, who was a hunter, is OK because he must be born again.....

Then writes this....

He was Whorgans "special Advisor" for wildlife......which was a lead in getting the Grizz hunt stopped

He came to work just after I left Port McNeill and was not well liked by he peers. What happened was not handled properly by everyone involved. But when the Union mentioned to its "brother and sister" CO's not to worry and that they would support him, the Union rep was run out of the room.....and the Union couldn't understand why.

Why would he want to come back to that? To make a statement "I can!!!!" I guess. But the Government will hire him back....because they will have no other option.

Good Luck!!

Cheers

SS

I don't know why anyone would wish to return to service after all that neither - unless its a ploy to get a settlement for wrongful dismissal.

Bryce is in the same boat as unicorns and pixy dust....

after destroying the CO service when he demanded that all CO's are killers and all new staff should not be hunters or have anything to do with wildlife. Yet, he, who was a hunter, is OK because he must be born again.....

Then writes this....

He was Whorgans "special Advisor" for wildlife......which was a lead in getting the Grizz hunt stopped

He came to work just after I left Port McNeill and was not well liked by he peers. What happened was not handled properly by everyone involved. But when the Union mentioned to its "brother and sister" CO's not to worry and that they would support him, the Union rep was run out of the room.....and the Union couldn't understand why.

Why would he want to come back to that? To make a statement "I can!!!!" I guess. But the Government will hire him back....because they will have no other option.

Good Luck!!

Cheers

SS
I know enough people who dealt with him in a different context - including a guy I would walk through fire for and literally stake my life on his integrity, who had to deal with him a lot - that if said he had a wet weekend in Tahsis, I'd check the weather report before I believed it. I don't think I'm the only person here who knows the guy's background, and I suspect the reason people are keeping quiet is that saying what they know is revealing who said what to whom.

But the guy is not someone any organization would hire back if they could avoid it, that's for sure. Why was he trying to go back? Two options spring to mind and I suspect it's both: 1) he's got issues, period. 2) he may know, even subconsciously, that he can't skate on past his flaws forever. If he's in a secure job with a steady paycheque, he may not want to give that up.

It’s pretty obvious He has a problem with authority and will make some supervisors life a living hell.

thets lots of people like this in public sector jobs where it’s next to impossible to fire someone.

even tho I think he may of done the right thing with the cubs. I certainly would not hire someone like this it after all that has transpired would be nothing but a headache.

He is suing to get re-instated. He is also going after back pay, there is probably some pension eligibility during this period that would be financially gratifying, just spitballing here.
Those would be the $ issues from my point of view that would form the basis of economic damages in a claim, why someone would want to work where they are really not wanted is beyond my pay grade.

I don't know why anyone would wish to return to service after all that neither - unless its a ploy to get a settlement for wrongful dismissal.
That's likely how this will end unless the Province seeks culpable dismissal under the Police Act. They are under no obligation to take him back though they will have to pay damages. Determining how much could take another number of years.

Back