Browns Bay Derby?

Wolf, wasn't the same without ya... Although there were some that were a tad nervous this weekend...(Kevin)
Almost all had the 'Nana ferrie drop by. Thanks to Osama bin Hopper who sold out the culprit, it will be up to someone else to carry next years torch.
Didn't spend any time this year socializing due to my highly alergic reaction to falling down drunks, but I'm sure some stories will come soon...unless an untimely edit goes awry...

That Osama, always a problem. Last year he got outta control on the boat so we bonked him. ;)[B)]

IMG_1106-1.jpg

WOW

What a riot that was.

Dunno what I'm supposed to talk about and what I'm not supposed to talk about... (hehehe)

So yeah. My buddy who was affectionately coined "Alberta" arrived in
Comox Wednesday night. Stayed up way to late getting crap ready and suckin back beers. Up Thursday morning to get the necessary goods and on the road by about 1. The wind was just screaming down here so didn't really expect to be able to go out when we got there, but were surprised to see it relatively calm.

Onto the water for a couple of hours - not a sniff. Oh oh.

I will now apologize in advance for any names forgotten here - my memory is not good at the best of times, but VERY foggy today.

Back to the grounds to make a fire and hang out. Had a riot with the new owners, IslandGirl, the Victoria Boys (Casper and ??) and proceeded to have way to many beers again. Wife and other deckhand arrive.

Friday was calm. To calm. Couple hours with nada. Then a nice one about 16. Couple more hours and bang triple header. Actually managed to get all three in, one was a wild coho.

Couple more hours of nothing and back to the site.

Scallops and swillin' ensued in a BIG way. Even some skid who wasn't part of our group sneaking by everyone and sliding out with some critters in his mits.

Saturday morning. Ouch.

But wow - the fishing was on. A steep learning curve for Alberta, everything from technique to running gear to the crowds/currents. So we lost quite a few off the hop, but then started to operate a little more as a crew and get our fish in the boat. Got eight in and lost maybey twenty five!

More visiting Saturday night, hopping from site to site when I ran into Fytfire and his crew and just couldn't get away from that fun. In bed to late again.

Still managed to haul my butt up at 7:30 and go though. The fishing was twice as good as the day before. We had four or five triple headers, and unlike the day prior were landing at least one or two of them. Twelve fish in by 11 and back to the weigh in.

It was really great to see the regulars and meet the new. Some pretty cool fishing people on this Island.

MyEscape - What the hell can I say... haha Thanks again. For the hard work and the entertainment.
Steely & Nog - Thanks so much for taking those to become chumroni. To bad we didn't see you guys around the sites much, but fun on the agua.
Baddog and Maytag - Always a treat. Cool kid there Mark.
IslandGirl - Great meeting you. Friday was sure fun. Jodi is pumped that she met another woman who's into it. And DAMN GOOD at it.
C.S., Tortuga, and Huggy Bear - Pure style and class. That's what it's all about boys! Good meeting Tortuga and always nice to tear my liver up with you Chris. Huggy sure is affectionate... TABLE FLIP!!!
BrokenRod - Guess we were destined to meet since they booked us in the same slip!
BlueOrca - Nice to see you even though you avoided the shindigs, it's amazing to watch you fish out there. And way to be a good dad. Really.
Liptugger - You *******! Nice bananas.
Fytfire and Crew - Thanks for the help with Crabby Bob the neighbor. And for keeping me up late laughing and drinking shots. My sides still hurt. We'll have to get out and fish your dad and us sometime for sure.
Kildonan - Get it together and get your butt up here next year.
AlberniFisher - What can I say. Rafting the boats together and fishing the gear off of either side worked like a friggin charm! Three fish like that! HaHaHa. Don't disappear until next March's derby on me again.
Alberta - What a gong show we had goin'! Not unlike the last few years worth. Nice work on Sunday. Fought them like a pro and made the downriggers sing. Thanks for coming, had a blast.

Anyone I missed I am truly sorry, you contributed to the weekends riot every bit as much. I just killed to many brain cells to recall everyone.

Osama out.

WOW

What a riot that was.

Dunno what I'm supposed to talk about and what I'm not supposed to talk about... (hehehe)

So yeah. My buddy who was affectionately coined "Alberta" arrived in
Comox Wednesday night. Stayed up way to late getting crap ready and suckin back beers. Up Thursday morning to get the necessary goods and on the road by about 1. The wind was just screaming down here so didn't really expect to be able to go out when we got there, but were surprised to see it relatively calm.

Onto the water for a couple of hours - not a sniff. Oh oh.

I will now apologize in advance for any names forgotten here - my memory is not good at the best of times, but VERY foggy today.

Back to the grounds to make a fire and hang out. Had a riot with the new owners, IslandGirl, the Victoria Boys (Casper and ??) and proceeded to have way to many beers again. Wife and other deckhand arrive.

Friday was calm. To calm. Couple hours with nada. Then a nice one about 16. Couple more hours and bang triple header. Actually managed to get all three in, one was a wild coho.

Couple more hours of nothing and back to the site.

Scallops and swillin' ensued in a BIG way. Even some skid who wasn't part of our group sneaking by everyone and sliding out with some critters in his mits.

Saturday morning. Ouch.

But wow - the fishing was on. A steep learning curve for Alberta, everything from technique to running gear to the crowds/currents. So we lost quite a few off the hop, but then started to operate a little more as a crew and get our fish in the boat. Got eight in and lost maybey twenty five!

More visiting Saturday night, hopping from site to site when I ran into Fytfire and his crew and just couldn't get away from that fun. In bed to late again.

Still managed to haul my butt up at 7:30 and go though. The fishing was twice as good as the day before. We had four or five triple headers, and unlike the day prior were landing at least one or two of them. Twelve fish in by 11 and back to the weigh in.

It was really great to see the regulars and meet the new. Some pretty cool fishing people on this Island.

MyEscape - What the hell can I say... haha Thanks again. For the hard work and the entertainment.
Steely & Nog - Thanks so much for taking those to become chumroni. To bad we didn't see you guys around the sites much, but fun on the agua.
Baddog and Maytag - Always a treat. Cool kid there Mark.
IslandGirl - Great meeting you. Friday was sure fun. Jodi is pumped that she met another woman who's into it. And DAMN GOOD at it.
C.S., Tortuga, and Huggy Bear - Pure style and class. That's what it's all about boys! Good meeting Tortuga and always nice to tear my liver up with you Chris. Huggy sure is affectionate... TABLE FLIP!!!
BrokenRod - Guess we were destined to meet since they booked us in the same slip!
BlueOrca - Nice to see you even though you avoided the shindigs, it's amazing to watch you fish out there. And way to be a good dad. Really.
Liptugger - You *******! Nice bananas.
Fytfire and Crew - Thanks for the help with Crabby Bob the neighbor. And for keeping me up late laughing and drinking shots. My sides still hurt. We'll have to get out and fish your dad and us sometime for sure.
Kildonan - Get it together and get your butt up here next year.
AlberniFisher - What can I say. Rafting the boats together and fishing the gear off of either side worked like a friggin charm! Three fish like that! HaHaHa. Don't disappear until next March's derby on me again.
Alberta - What a gong show we had goin'! Not unlike the last few years worth. Nice work on Sunday. Fought them like a pro and made the downriggers sing. Thanks for coming, had a blast.

Anyone I missed I am truly sorry, you contributed to the weekends riot every bit as much. I just killed to many brain cells to recall everyone.

Osama out.

Also need to add what a difference the new owners made to being there.

Very friendly, helpful people who just encouraged people to enjoy themselves. Way better than before.

Again, thanks to you.

Also need to add what a difference the new owners made to being there.

Very friendly, helpful people who just encouraged people to enjoy themselves. Way better than before.

Again, thanks to you.

No need to bag Osama at that point I guess.
Behind every good man is a woman he's trying to keep up to.....eh, Jodi????
Would have wanted to socialize way more, but I needed to spend some time with the family too....Son's arms were sure tired this morning, can't figure that one out!!!
Time to get back to Browns today and pick the boat up and put her to bed for the winter...
I agree that the owners are sure headed in the right direction.. Just hope it doesn't get too big in the process. I would hate to see this derby get competitive with big prizes and such.
Hats off to Mike and John at the marina....great guys that put in a lot of time for this.

No need to bag Osama at that point I guess.
Behind every good man is a woman he's trying to keep up to.....eh, Jodi????
Would have wanted to socialize way more, but I needed to spend some time with the family too....Son's arms were sure tired this morning, can't figure that one out!!!
Time to get back to Browns today and pick the boat up and put her to bed for the winter...
I agree that the owners are sure headed in the right direction.. Just hope it doesn't get too big in the process. I would hate to see this derby get competitive with big prizes and such.
Hats off to Mike and John at the marina....great guys that put in a lot of time for this.

Wow what a weekend! All I can say is what an awesome crowd of people!
I enjoyed seeing the regulars and meeting quite a few new people,way to many to list. Hats of to the new owners and management of Browns Bay they sure went all out to make us feel welcome. Dicks fish and chips did a great job on the food. Fishing was fantastic even if it was a bit of a gong show at times.:D:D:D

Have lots of pictures and will post some soon.

Cheers ME

Wow what a weekend! All I can say is what an awesome crowd of people!
I enjoyed seeing the regulars and meeting quite a few new people,way to many to list. Hats of to the new owners and management of Browns Bay they sure went all out to make us feel welcome. Dicks fish and chips did a great job on the food. Fishing was fantastic even if it was a bit of a gong show at times.:D:D:D

Have lots of pictures and will post some soon.

Cheers ME

WOW !!! What a blast. Bruce had a great time as well, I was the designated netter, One triple and two doubles, the CHAOS is addicting. Did you all see the whale on Sat slaping it's tail on the water at least 12-15 times... different.
On Sun I had Ken with me, a friend from work, the sales manager. Much faster pace on Sun. We fished the wall north of Deepwater, seemed to tame that southeaster a bit along the beach. Eight for thirteen with a nice marked coho, steady action, done by 11:00. Again I was the self appointed designated netter. "Rod tip up... bring'm to the net" great fun.
It was great to meet some of you for the first time, and of course to tip a few with those of you I all ready know.
And I'll second the motion about the new owners, great friendly people.
What was the winning wieght?

WOW !!! What a blast. Bruce had a great time as well, I was the designated netter, One triple and two doubles, the CHAOS is addicting. Did you all see the whale on Sat slaping it's tail on the water at least 12-15 times... different.
On Sun I had Ken with me, a friend from work, the sales manager. Much faster pace on Sun. We fished the wall north of Deepwater, seemed to tame that southeaster a bit along the beach. Eight for thirteen with a nice marked coho, steady action, done by 11:00. Again I was the self appointed designated netter. "Rod tip up... bring'm to the net" great fun.
It was great to meet some of you for the first time, and of course to tip a few with those of you I all ready know.
And I'll second the motion about the new owners, great friendly people.
What was the winning wieght?

19.5 lbs plus or minus was the trophy chum, could't hear from the back of the tent.
Nice to put some faces to some of your names finally.
Hope anybody who partook in the berry juice festivities has the day off too.
I'm sure the slugs around our trailer will be well nourished for a few days.
Hey C.S., did ya get your vhf fixed? The radio sure went silent
after most of our transmissions.
Thanks to all,
Tortuga out.

19.5 lbs plus or minus was the trophy chum, could't hear from the back of the tent.
Nice to put some faces to some of your names finally.
Hope anybody who partook in the berry juice festivities has the day off too.
I'm sure the slugs around our trailer will be well nourished for a few days.
Hey C.S., did ya get your vhf fixed? The radio sure went silent
after most of our transmissions.
Thanks to all,
Tortuga out.

Had a Blast. Will be back next year. Did not meet anyone, as we could not stay due to commitments. Plenty of entertainment on Saturday with that big guy with no shirt. I like how he bonked his fish with his fist. A big thanks goes out to owners and staff for the great job they did. Triples and doubles for our boat with only two guys was a whole whack of fun. Sorry to that big boat with five on board for coming that close. We were netting at the time and did not see you. No harm no foul. Hope the fish you were playing got in the net. Even had fun standing in line at the weigh in. While cleaning our catch a guy with No derby ticket weighed a 20.5, might have been a winner. Last but not least thanks Kev for being our point man at this event. GLG

Had a Blast. Will be back next year. Did not meet anyone, as we could not stay due to commitments. Plenty of entertainment on Saturday with that big guy with no shirt. I like how he bonked his fish with his fist. A big thanks goes out to owners and staff for the great job they did. Triples and doubles for our boat with only two guys was a whole whack of fun. Sorry to that big boat with five on board for coming that close. We were netting at the time and did not see you. No harm no foul. Hope the fish you were playing got in the net. Even had fun standing in line at the weigh in. While cleaning our catch a guy with No derby ticket weighed a 20.5, might have been a winner. Last but not least thanks Kev for being our point man at this event. GLG

What GREAT FUN..and thanks for all the compliments!
I hope to make it back next year...it will be high priority, thats for sure.
Much thanks to the Crew that made sure I had a fishing partner on Sunday am after my fishing partner put his truck in the ditch avoiding Elk on the highway on the way to the Derby Sunday am. (He is OK, truck isn't)...It is sure nice to put faces to names and look forward to the next time...
Great Scallops Osama!:D

What GREAT FUN..and thanks for all the compliments!
I hope to make it back next year...it will be high priority, thats for sure.
Much thanks to the Crew that made sure I had a fishing partner on Sunday am after my fishing partner put his truck in the ditch avoiding Elk on the highway on the way to the Derby Sunday am. (He is OK, truck isn't)...It is sure nice to put faces to names and look forward to the next time...
Great Scallops Osama!:D

Well, for my first Chum fishing and Chum derby, I was very impressed. Coming from the Kootenays, we do have a few derby's on my waters of Kootenay Lake, but, this was one of the funnest derby's I've been to. And lots of Action....

It was nice meeting a lot of you. Now, I can put some faces to the names also. Too bad we couldn't get there to enjoy a couple evenings of festivities. But Sat. night was definately fun.

Arrived Sat am around 9:00. Didn't start fishing until around 10:00. Apparantly missed the big bite in the morning, but we did manage to land 6 out of 15. Not bad for a first timer. Our biggest was just over 13 Lbs.

Sunday we managed to get out at the right time. Had about 8 to the boat before 9:00. Ended up with a total of 9 fish that day up to just over 16 Lbs.

Didn't get to stick around for the ceremony on Sunday, but I had lots of fun.

Thanks for the great weekend everybody. Will definately try to make it an annual thing.

Back