Brentwood Prawners Beware

Thankful commercial closes. Went to my usual spot in Saanich Inlet. Normally there is 8-10 or so other traps in the area. There was none a couple days ago. I thought I may of read the regs wrong, so I called DFO. They strongly recommended I wait until commercial closes because there has been several "conflicts" between commercial and recreational fishermen in the Saanich Inlet. Understand Commercial Fisherman need to earn a living, but the prawn situation was demolished last year after the commercial season was over.

Let me get this right... The recreational fishery is open, so is the commie... but DFO "strongly recommended" that the recreational guy stays off the water because of conflicts with the commies? Screw that. By definition recreational fishers have as much right to be there as the commercial ocean rapists. Commercial prawners carpet bomb that inlet without regard to habitat, the future of the fishery, or heaven forbid any equipment that gets in their way.

The DFO should have never chosen sides on this issue.

Agreed.Been fishing the inlet for many years now and have yet to have a conflict with the commies.I just make sure
I stay far away from their sets and all is good.Know other people who bump heads with them when they set
in their favorite hot spot and throw them down virtually on top of them.Then they wonder where their traps went the next morning.These people are asking for it as far as I'm concerned.

You are correct... With no traps in my usual spot and orange balls turning up on beaches in that area, I opted to save $300 in traps and wait for it to close. The last drop I did a couple weeks ago had 2 traps per line on 2 lines. the 1st traps on the lines were pilaged with 0-2 prawns in each. The lower traps on the line had a decent amount of prawns (35-55 per trap).
Don't shoot the messenger.

Back