Breaking It In

Stizzla

Crew Member
I’m chomping at the bit (weird phrase) to break in the new Yammy 115. I read the Yamaha break in process which involves:
1 hour at under 2000 rpm
1 hour just on plane and back off but keep it on plane
Next 8 hours: run at varying speeds but not more than 5 minutes straight of WOT

Simple right??

the sales consultant at SG told me not to follow that procedure. He said it causes the motor to burn oil.
He says:
warm it up, then get on plane. Then every few minutes increase the RPM by a few hundred. Go all the way up to WOT and all the way back down. Repeat.

SOOOO yeah... I don’t know.

She’s purdy though
026412DA-6B60-4473-BD05-08A82D32F489.jpeg

Last edited:
I would follow the manufactures instructions. If something happens they can read what rpm etc and time frame that the engine was run. Might be a way out of warranty if something happened

I didn’t break mine in totally by the book but kind of close. I idled it for about 30 mins, ran up on plane and varied the rpm from just above plane to around 4400 for an hour or so. For the next couple days I varied the rpms while running and hit WOT a few times. Having said that, I wonder what would happen if you blew the thing up at 2 hours and they pulled the computer info and saw that you didn’t follow the break in to Yamaha’s specification.

do exactly what the factory specifies, the engines now datalog information like the break in timeframe as well as how long the engine was run and at what rpm. If you go outside of the procedure it can void your warranty.

And the motor will burn oil during break in, that’s simply because the rings need time to wear in correctly and therefore there is always oil burn, whomever told you not to follow the factory procedures should not be doing that. Dealers do not have the authority to override factory procedures. I would call Yamaha, ask them for the exact procedure and let them know that dealer is telling people otherwise, since its possible multiple people have voided their warranty following that person’s advice. I have completed factory certified Merc, Johnoson/Evenrude, and Yamaha outboard courses and I cant imagine any of them would be pleased about someone giving this kind of advice.

I’m chomping at the bit (weird phrase) to break in the new Yammy 115. I read the Yamaha break in process which involves:
1 hour at under 2000 rpm

Simple right??

the manager at SG told me not to follow that procedure. He said it causes the motor to burn oil.
He says:
warm it up, then get on plane. Then every few minutes increase the RPM by a few hundred. Go all the way up to WOT and all the way back down. Repeat.

She’s purdy though
View attachment 62494

This thing is in your living room tonight, admit it.

For what it's worth, I also had a brand new Yammy just installed (225hp) and my mechanic told me the exact same thing the guy at SG told @Stizzla. Warm it up at idle to operating temp, get it on a plane, and then vary the rpm all the way up to WOT, but don't jump the rpm too hard and don't come down too hard.

The mechanic is in Richmond and doesn't have a website although is very reputable, if you want to know who, DM me.

Not saying to do it one way or another (it's your boat, you decide) but it's very interesting that two completely different mechanics said the same thing.

Just food for thought. Hard to argue with doing it by the book, but also hard to argue with someone with 30 years of Yamaha outboard experience.

I have a Yamaha 90 that I followed the Yamaha break in procedures it runs great and does not burn oil. I also have piece of mind that my 6 year warranty will be good.

1 hour at under 2000 rpm

Simple right??

the sales consultant at SG told me not to follow that procedure. He said it causes the motor to burn oil.
He says:

She’s purdy though
View attachment 62494
nice clean boat!looks like you got the same crowded transom i have. steering bar i assume?

Do what the book says and your safe, I broke my 115 in by the book and it’s great. It’s the old saying if all else fails read the directions!

For what it's worth, I also had a brand new Yammy just installed (225hp) and my mechanic told me the exact same thing the guy at SG told @Stizzla. Warm it up at idle to operating temp, get it on a plane, and then vary the rpm all the way up to WOT, but don't jump the rpm too hard and don't come down too hard.

The mechanic is in Richmond and doesn't have a website although is very reputable, if you want to know who, DM me.

Not saying to do it one way or another (it's your boat, you decide) but it's very interesting that two completely different mechanics said the same thing.

Just food for thought. Hard to argue with doing it by the book, but also hard to argue with someone with 30 years of Yamaha outboard experience.

I don’t understand the point of trying to convince someone to sign on to the idea of voiding their warranty, your personal experiences aside, any reputable mechanic should be providing documentation for deviation in the manufacturers standards. Otherwise they are just talking, and spewing information without proof and putting your investment at risk

As a marine engineer, a capt, marine tech, and certified yamaha service tech (as well as others), I can honestly say that regardless of what anyone says, being a dealer or certified marine tech, their experience or opinion is not gospel, the new generation of engines record all the data needed for warranty, even if you follow what a yamaha dealer told you and it is different from what the literature says, it can void your warranty. Unless they give you paperwork from yamaha that is different from the manual that came with the engine, they should not be saying otherwise.

ALWAY follow the manual, if in doubt call yamaha directly. you cannot be faulted if the manual is followed. or in another way, would you prefer your engine burn oil and have a warranty, or have no warranty?

Over the years I have gone though the break in procedure for customers dozens of times, and I can honestly say there is no reason that modifying a break in period to reduce the amount of oil burn, there is no benefit in this as it is unlikely that it would effect the long term service life of the motor. I can speculate that they are observing the oil burn at break in and are assuming this is a bad thing, however this is normal. It should take a while for the rings to wear in correctly as you want them to finely polish themselves to the correct margins. Modifying the procedure could possibly accelerate the ring wear to reduce oil burn, but at the same time may also be sheering off ring material prematurely, or even possibly welding it to the cylinder walls. These engines are VERY precisely built, they even use fracture split connecting rods, something that came down from formula 1.

I have been in the marine industry long enough to know people will talk out their butt to sound like they know what they are doing, people miss things, overlook things, and this industry has just as many fallible people as any other. but what I have learned after having gone though so many years of training and a couple decades of experience, ALWAYS RTFM and follow it, and if you have a reason to question it then ask someone at the top.

I always explain this to people like this "everyone always tells me they have this really good mechanic they take their car to, and they’re the best. They cant all be the best, statistically speaking most of them cant be the best, they are just the best at convincing you they are the best"

you can be assured yamaha knows better than any of the dealers or techs

Last edited:
Yeah, and I'm a carpenter with 45 years in the trade. Like the mechanic, I have my opinions but when the engineers speak, I shut up and listen. So should your mechanic.

Thanks, I’m going with the book! who knows the motor better than the people who built it??
I bet a majority of people with Yamahas follow the book and they have a reputation for lasting many thousands of hours.

1 hour at under 2000 rpm

Simple right??

He says:

She’s purdy though
View attachment 62494
That is a gorgeous looking setup. Serious envy here.

My experience on a new f250 last year-broke it in according to manufacturers specs to the letter. It was making oil right up to 90 hrs in, finally at sg switched the factory thermostat to a hotter t stat. No issues since, runs like a dream. Congrats on the new ride!

My new Merc came with the following instructions. Different motor I know.

For the first two hours of operation, run the engine at varied throttle settings up to 4500 RPM or at three quarter throttle, and at full throttle for app one minute every ten minutes.

For the next 8 hours avoid continuous operation at full throttle for more than five minutes at a time.

Boat looks great

Back