Braid weight for scotty 2106s

samba123

can I get feedback on whether I should use 200lb power pro braid or 250lb powerpro braid on the 2106s. I plan on using 18 lb balls and possibly 20 lb balls... would the 10-15% thicker diameter of the 250lb braid make a significant difference in blowback fishing deep like 200ft of water?

Bigger the better and if your using 20lb balls better make sure you have those tuna cords tied up with real small knots or small ball bearing swivels. Depends on how your fishing. Whatever gets caught in that roller for a moment gets snapped off like nothing

My 2c

200 lbs braid and 20 lbs balls work. Never had an issue with break-offs.

I can't speak from experience from ever comparing 200 to 250 braid, but I'm sure it would help with reducing blowback. Physically it would make sense with reduced diameter and reduced drag.

Anyone ever directly tested?

Stainless wire offerings from Scotty are either 150 lb or 175 lb I think, is there any point in going with higher test in braid? Properly set up rigger pays out line if the ball snags; if something goes wrong and it jams, wouldn't you rather a line breakoff than gunwale damaged or pulled under altogether? Stuff happens pretty fast if you snag while trolling plugs at 3.5 mph.

Relative to the weight of the boat and it's ability to stop I guess.
Using the 250 buys me a bit of time with a 15000 lb boat.
I used to use the lighter line on smaller boats

The brake setting is the break setting. Use it.
I regularly snag with my 15000lb boat using 150lb braid and DO NOT break off.
Slamming your ball into the rigger because you have no stopper, there's nothing saving your balls there.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider with thicker/heavier braid is the fact that the counter-reported depth will be even further off relative to true/sonar-reported depth. You get used to how much 'off' the depth is with braid -- and especially when you're running 600' of braid in an aluminum spool -- so upgrading to something heavier will change that offset even more. Not a huge deal, but now your established math is off.

I'm not sure if the thicker braid increases or decreases backlash on the spool when banging bottom, something to ponder.

I run 200# cheapo Amazon braid with 15# balls, no snubber or tuna cord. If I can't get unstuck from the bottom I just cut off and re-tie -- there's plenty of braid left on the 600' spool. I pour my own lead ($11.50 per ball), so losing a setup is minimal pain (< $20 USD), too. I only lost 3 or 4 balls last year -- all to crab pots -- but that's it. Stizzla-proofed my boat.

Last edited:
Jeez I go 2-3 seasons without losing a ball. Last one I did lose was a klutz move, dropped overboard clipping it on.

Back