Boycott corporations that support Chinook non-retention or a total fishery closure

Well, I got a response from patagonia. My question to them was what is your company position on the recent Chinook widespread non-retention regulation in southern B.C.?
Here is their response. I've read the thing over a couple of times and nowhere do I actually see an answer to my question, but if you read between the lines it seems to say that if we drastically reduce fishing, there will be more food for whales. So I would infer that they support the non-retention regulation. No surprise there. I'm keeping my corporate and personal wallet shut when it comes to patagonia.

Hello!

Thanks for asking about campaign efforts to save wild salmon. We understand there are passionate people on both sides of the issue, but this is a fight we’ve been part of for many years and we’re committed to keeping the momentum moving forward.

Artifishal is our third major film about wild rivers and its purpose is to show how hatcheries and fish farms create significant risks to wild fish species, rather than help supplement dwindling populations as initially thought. We are bringing light to the issue of: hatchery and farm fish are inferior to wild fish – they are inbred, domesticated, and wreak havoc on native fish populations. We've partnered closely with the Wild Fish Conservancy and Native Fish Society to better understand the science surrounding the impacts of fish farms and hatcheries. To learn more about the issue and for links to specific studies, visit: https://nativefishsociety.org/science/hatcheries and http://wildfishconservancy.org/what...ce-on-adverse-effects-of-steelhead-hatcheries?

Our film DamNation and the current campaign is the way we’ve been working to support groups pushing dam removal at the local level. We strongly believe the costs of these dams outweigh the benefits they provide. They’re expensive to maintain, agriculture transportation is already moving away from the river, and the energy gained from the dams can be replaced by alternatives that will be much less expensive in the long run. Furthermore, studies have shown that removing dams, just years later, has allowed the ecosystem to reach a natural equilibrium and allowed wild salmon to reach their natural spawning grounds.

Wild salmon and other fish species do not know the borders that separate the Salish Sea into U.S. and Canada territories. We believe that our efforts will push others outside of the U.S. to take a stand on restoring waterways.
  • Hatcheries and open-water fish farms are key contributors to the catastrophic decline of wild Chinook salmon and southern resident killer whales in the Pacific Northwest. Now, a misguided plan to "feed the orcas" includes spending $87 million to pollute our waters with 60 million more hatchery salmon each year for 10 years. Science tells us this won't work: orcas need larger wild salmon, while adding more hatchery fish further weakens the wild-salmon gene pool, pushing both iconic species closer to extinction.
But wouldn't more hatchery fish provide immediate relief for starving orcas?
  • According to leading orca scientists, no. Based on current orca-food-source research, increased numbers of hatchery releases would be of little benefit to Southern Resident killer whales (SRKW). A majority of hatchery salmon, as part of the domestication process, mature early and are too small, even as adults, to meet the caloric requirements of orcas. SRKWs need the increasingly scarce, large, wild Chinook salmon, which would be further depleted by the influx of hatchery fish.
  • The only immediate way to provide more food for Southern Resident killer whales is to reduce open-ocean harvest. Currently, the ocean fishery off the west coast of Vancouver Island alone takes 70% of the Chinook salmon large enough to benefit orcas. Moving fisheries to river mouths and employing selective-harvest techniques in the future would allow humans to continue harvest while increasing the number of large, wild Chinook available to orcas.
Our call to action for that region:
  • Driving change in the southern portion (U.S. territory) of the Salish Sea could drive the change to the northern portion (Canada territory). This change could have a direct affect the Chinook salmon runs into their natural spawning grounds.
  • Tell decision makers to stop wasting money on failed plans and invest in science-based solutions to save endangered wild salmon and orcas: Stop hatcheries, reduce harvest and remove dams.?

We want to keep an open forum for people on both sides of these issues because diversity cultivates creative efforts in restoration projects. Whichever side of these issues, we urge you to get involved so that all shareholders are represented.

Thank you for reaching out about Patagonia’s position on protecting wild salmon.

Please let me know if I did not answer your question. If not, please reply back with a specific question so that I may look into it further.

Until then,

All the best,

Sarah
Patagonia Customer Service
1.800.638.6464 | Call, Text, or Email | www.patagonia.com

What a load of crap. You see this is what I am talking about.

Beware of this statement out of all and its echoed up here by MCC and others:

Moving fisheries to river mouths and employing selective-harvest techniques in the future would allow humans to continue harvest while increasing the number of large, wild Chinook available to orcas.

I think you should be able to piece together where this heading.

Last edited:
“.....is to show how hatcheries and fish farms create significant risks to wild fish species, rather than help supplement dwindling populations as initially thought. ”

Is there a full scale study to back this statement up?

“.....is to show how hatcheries and fish farms create significant risks to wild fish species, rather than help supplement dwindling populations as initially thought. ”

Lots with respect to steelhead and hatcherys, lots based on Studies done in Washington state.

Norway, Scotland, East Coast, Washington and British Columbia where they are Farming Fish in the Ocean the Wild Salmon are disapearing, I wonder if possibly there might be a connection.

Norway, Scotland, East Coast, Washington and British Columbia where they are Farming Fish in the Ocean the Wild Salmon are disapearing, I wonder if possibly there might be a connection.

Wild salmon are not disappearing In Case you didn't notice coho had some pretty decent returns last year.

Sorry guys, my question was about the hatcheries affecting the wild Chinooks.

ITs complicated

https://www.psc.org/download/561/southern-fund/11391/salish-sea-marine-survival-project-2017.pdf

https://marinesurvivalproject.com/wp-content/uploads/December-2017-US-CA-Retreat-Report.pdf

• Bacterial diseases are more common in hatchery-origin fish than wild-origin fish, but wild fish tend to have more parasites than hatchery fish.
  • A decay curve based on PIT tag data shows large loss (-95%) between micro troll (first ocean year) and age-2 life stages. According to this theoretical model, hatchery fish may survive better to the micro troll stage than wild fish, but have higher mortality from micro troll to age-2
  • Thomas et al. 2016 found that Strait of Georgia seals ate chinook, coho, and sockeye smolts in higher percentages than they did pink and chum smolts; for adults, the pattern is reversed. Allegue et al. tagged 17 seals and found that feeding patterns coincided well with hatchery coho release (May 4th , 350k coho) but less well with hatchery chinook release (May 14th, 3 million chinook). This agrees with Nelson et al.’s work suggesting that predation rates on coho smolts are high at saltwater entry while predation rates on chinook smolts are lower at saltwater entry and increase as fish go. Seals may be size-selective for the larger fish.

doesn't Argentina and Chile have fish farms? Chinook are doing so well they are considered a pest. And they are big 50+

Aren't those originally hatchery?

This thread is wandering all over the place, too late to save it.
I'm gonna get my son to go thru all this data. He is a real live fish scientist with a freshly minted Msc. in a few weeks. I've not mentioned anything about pinnipeds as of yet, but here goes.
The population of SRKW has been steadily declining for the past ten years, at least. At the same time, Seals and sea lion populations have exploded. I was talking to a commercial fisherman friend of mine ( yeah , I can still be friends with him) and he told me that there are no female California Sea Lions here. Just the boys. They make the trip up here to feed on all the goodies we have up here, stay most of the year, then when mating season happens, they high tail it back to Cali to F*ck their brains out. Now if that is not a drain on our fisheries resource I don't know what is.
Friend of mine from Newfoundland says his next door neighbours are commercial fisherman. Every spring they get a permit to harvest seals, they get a hundred bucks a piece for them, and get maybe 20 a day. Not bad money. Here on the left coast ( politically and geographically) we fawn over the poor seals and sea lions while they eat our fish. Go figure?

doesn't Argentina and Chile have fish farms? Chinook are doing so well they are considered a pest. And they are big 50+

Yeah, they do, and you might be surprised to learn that they farm salmon in Tasmania too!

Pretty sure fish farms should be at least moved off the main migration routes of Pacific salmon.

how about a boycott of all people illegally buying Chinook and other salmon from FN's?
I live in Chilliwack and have fished the Fraser and it's Tribs here for the last 52 years and it still blows me away how many people buy fish from the FN's and don't realize it's against the law!

FN sockeye in this area, mostly ****, not cleaned, dried out, wrinkly, wouldn't buy it. Never get a sockeye opening here, so I buy my sockeye from my friend Steve, a commercial fisherman. He fishes further north, where they are permitted. Fish are awesome, cleaned, head on, iced down. $5 a pound. well worth it.

What a load of crap. You see this is what I am talking about.

Beware of this statement out of all and its echoed up here by MCC and others:

Moving fisheries to river mouths and employing selective-harvest techniques in the future would allow humans to continue harvest while increasing the number of large, wild Chinook available to orcas.

I think you should be able to piece together where this heading.

“Humans”

Funny reading this just after I read an Article about

Not sure if boycotts really work, but interestingly enough I just read where the President of Brazil was due to visit New York to receive an award. The Public outcry was so great that a number of venues cancelled his appearance due to pressure from those who disapprove of his policies. Consequently his visit has been cancelled! How often have we seen similar incidents happen?

Not suggesting a comparison of DFO policies to this guys, frankly I know very little about his policies, but it does show how activism works. Probably the vast majority of New Yorkers don’t actually care, but all the feedback was from those who opposed, so in the absence of any other opinion, the squeaky wheel was greased ( maybe rightfully so).Perhaps boycotts never work, but negative feedback from potential customers can sometimes impact policy, particularly when it outweighs positive feedback. ENGO’s have used this tactic for years, how many people take the time to compliment a program in relation to those who gleefully find fault. No company wants to lose customers, I’d suggest a letter to those companies can make them at least take a second look, particularly if it contains verifiable facts

I was going to give a detailed explanation and perspective on this, but the latter posts in this thread has derailed it from its original topic of boycotts.

They are escaped Farm Fish that never escape and if they escape they will not survive and if they survive they will not go up the rivers and if they go up the rivers they will never spawn. Guess what they are doing all those things and displacing their native fisheries. No seals or gillnets to thin the herd.

I was going to give a detailed explanation and perspective on this, but the latter posts in this thread has derailed it from its original topic of boycotts.

Yea A total hijacking of an important subject. Lets hope it is not lost by the Admin. closing it down and they are willing to take the time to just clean it up by deleting the off topic posts. Sounds like someone should start up a new thread on Fish Farms. I would be interested in your detailed perspective.

Last edited:
Back on topic. patagonia gives 1% of their sales to causes they like. Their sales last year were around $ 1 billion . $100 million to their pet enviro organizations. Yes, some of the habitat stuff they do is good, but I think they (patagonia) fail to recognize is that with 7 billion people on the planet, that there can never be enough wild anything to feed everybody, including salmon. Imagine if you wanted eggs for breakfast and had to go forage for eggs. Soup for lunch so you had to go find the ingredients for that in the wild. Steak for dinner... You get my drift. So to expect to have any salmon retention based on wild only stocks is a pipe dream. If we are going to have a fishery as we know it, we need hatchery fish, despite what patagonia thinks. If you read their earlier response:

"The only immediate way to provide more food for Southern Resident killer whales is to reduce open-ocean harvest. Currently, the ocean fishery off the west coast of Vancouver Island alone takes 70% of the Chinook salmon large enough to benefit orcas. Moving fisheries to river mouths and employing selective-harvest techniques in the future would allow humans to continue harvest while increasing the number of large, wild Chinook available to orcas."

You can see what they want to do to our fishery.

Back