box crab

R

redfox13

if you look at my pics is this a big box crab and are thay hard to get and is there a time of year you get them. i caught this one in the douglas channel, and ive been fishing there for 15 years and this is the first ive caught. give feed back if you know anything abut box crabs

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u182/Redfox1331/HPIM0153.jpg

yes i did and it was very good it tasted a lot like king crab[:p]

ya thats what i got it in i was king crabing with my hoops in 145ft of water and up come this box crab

Might need to try a hoop down in the strait and see what I catch.... would be interesting.

Seems like you'd need to haul it up pretty steady, or the crabs would be able to crawl right off the hoop. Without a puller, seems like a challenge from those depths!

Tons of box crabs in the gulf. They are a real pain in the butt when they fill up your prawn traps and the prawns are scared of them so they wont go into the trap.

no because of the netting thay can't walk off thay kind of get stuck there long legs get stuck in the netting:)

I am no expert but most box crab live in very deep water for the most part although you can catch the odd one shallower. My boss gave me a few last month, very tasty and they can grow quite large legs. In BC most are caught in 100 to 200 meters of water. However a lot are caught even deeper then that.

Cheers ME

Back