Bottom Paint

Doubletyee

I am looking for someone who might have a gallon of bottom paint for sale. I am redoing a 21 ft boat bottom. Boat only sits in water once or twice a year for a week at a time.

Reactions: 777
I am looking for someone who might have a gallon of bottom paint for sale. I am redoing a 21 ft boat bottom. Boat only sits in water once or twice a year for a week at a time.
I may mis-understand.. But is the boat in the water for 1-2 weeks? If that's the case I wouldn't bottom paint it...

I completely agree but it is an older boat and has old bottom paint on it. I thought it would be too much work to remove all the old bottom paint and regelcoat it or epoxy. Thought it was easier to just clean and then put on new paint. Thoughts?

I completely agree but it is an older boat and has old bottom paint on it. I thought it would be too much work to remove all the old bottom paint and regelcoat it or epoxy. Thought it was easier to just clean and then put on new paint. Thoughts?
In my opinion you are making the right decision. Much easier.

I may mis-understand.. But is the boat in the water for 1-2 weeks? If that's the case I wouldn't bottom paint it...
If it were me, I would leave it as is for now with the old bottom paint on it. It will still likely offer some protection for shorter stays in the water. Since it is going to stay on the trailer most of the time it does not really need new anti-fouling bottom paint other than for vanity and appearance. It will look good for a short time but will not take long to look ugly again, especially with it getting rubbed off and scuffed up getting launched and dragged onto the trailer a lot. I would wait until I was ready to sell it and then put a new coat of ablative on it. That way it will be all nice and pretty for the new potential owner to look at, and if they are going to keep it in the water it will be all ready to go. The new owner will typically be all excited and want to get out on the water, not messing with a bottom paint job, which should help the future sale.
Another option would be to put a more robust non-ablative paint on it now for looks, but of a type that could be painted over with ablative in the future, if needed. There would be a lot of prep work for that, though.

Last edited:
lot's of bottom paints are not going to be effective once they are out of the water and sitting on a trailer. some will work, some won't depends which paint.

Back