Bottom paint

Orion

I've got a Bayliner 1952 and am dropping it in the harbour for the summer but want to paint the bottom. Just wondering what you guys could suggest. What works and any suggestions on applying it.

Thanks Orion

Been using Interlux Micron CSC for a few years now. Had my boat moored for extended periods of time with no growth
whatsoever. The really nice thing about this type of paint is it gradually wears off , like a bar of soap,which means less
paint buildup to deal with when it comes time to repaint. Another good thing about it is when you repaint,all you have
to do is powerwash,let dry and recoat. No sanding at all involved. It's not cheap though at $80.00 a quart,but worth
every cent when it gets time for another paint job. A buddy of mine works for B.C. Ferries,and this is the same paint
they use on all their ships.

If you are only in for the summer I wouldn't paint it. My boat is 20 years old now, never painted it. I pull it out of the water each month for a couple of hrs , spray on bleach, rinse, grease the outboard pivot joints, change kicker oil and clean off the zincs. Then back in the water for another month. If you get it out in 4 weeks you never have to scrub and no barnacles.

If you are only in for the summer I wouldn't paint it. My boat is 20 years old now, never painted it. I pull it out of the water each month for a couple of hrs , spray on bleach, rinse, grease the outboard pivot joints, change kicker oil and clean off the zincs. Then back in the water for another month. If you get it out in 4 weeks you never have to scrub and no barnacles.

Amen to that and you will get better mileage also

I like the advice of avoiding bottom painting, if possible.

My boat's got layers and layers of old paint on the bottom and now I want it gone...it's gonna be a big job.

Back