Bonamine Found!

Whole in the Water

For those who suffer from sea sickness I have found a local supply of Bonamine in Victoria:D. For those who have used it know how well it works (also helps a bit with a hangovers) but how hard it has been to buy lately. I have been told that Bonamine is no longer made by the manufacter, Pfizer. However I just found out that you can buy it at the Pharmasave Compounding Pharmacy at the corner of Helmcken and Old Island Highway in View Royal. The compounding pharmacy there mixes the active ingredients (i.e. meclizine hydrochloride) and sells 30 tablets for $30. Just call them a few days before and they can make up on order.

I have giving up on 'the patch' and gravol as for me they don't work [xx(]and just make me too sleepy[|)].

Long live wild salmon!!!

Thanks for that, I was looking for some last month and got the run around from some dummy @ Shopper's Drug Mart who told me that Gravol was the same thing which I know is bullshit.

There's one of those compounding pharmacies up on Broadway that I'll have to give a call.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Thanks for that, I was looking for some last month and got the run around from some dummy @ Shopper's Drug Mart who told me that Gravol was the same thing which I know is bullshit.

There's one of those compounding pharmacies up on Broadway that I'll have to give a call.

Coincidence that you post this today...

I have been looking for Bonamine for a while...best of the options for Swiftsure missions:
day's pills -- $2
avoid 8 hours of puking -- PRICELESS

I find it has less drowsiness than gravol and it lasts a lot longer.

It is still made by manufacturer, but no longer sold in Canada for some reason. It is still sold in USA, under brand "Bonine".

I was in Pt Roberts yesterday and happened to remember...bought a bunch of packs, at $4.50 per 8 pack. So...if you're in the USA, there's another option.

PS can buy it online too, for example:
http://www.abconlinepharmacy.com/ns/customer/product2668-c-p1
Not a great deal mind you, but available.

Coincidence that you post this today...

I have been looking for Bonamine for a while...best of the options for Swiftsure missions:
day's pills -- $2
avoid 8 hours of puking -- PRICELESS

I find it has less drowsiness than gravol and it lasts a lot longer.

It is still made by manufacturer, but no longer sold in Canada for some reason. It is still sold in USA, under brand "Bonine".

I was in Pt Roberts yesterday and happened to remember...bought a bunch of packs, at $4.50 per 8 pack. So...if you're in the USA, there's another option.

PS can buy it online too, for example:
http://www.abconlinepharmacy.com/ns/customer/product2668-c-p1
Not a great deal mind you, but available.

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

For those who suffer from sea sickness I have found a local supply of Bonamine in Victoria:D. For those who have used it know how well it works (also helps a bit with a hangovers) but how hard it has been to buy lately. I have been told that Bonamine is no longer made by the manufacter, Pfizer. However I just found out that you can buy it at the Pharmasave Compounding Pharmacy at the corner of Helmcken and Old Island Highway in View Royal. The compounding pharmacy there mixes the active ingredients (i.e. meclizine hydrochloride) and sells 30 tablets for $30. Just call them a few days before and they can make up on order.

I have giving up on 'the patch' and gravol as for me they don't work [xx(]and just make me too sleepy[|)].

Long live wild salmon!!!
:DThat stuff is a trip saver. Don't do west coast without it.Thanks for info as where to get.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

Long live wild salmon!!!
:DThat stuff is a trip saver. Don't do west coast without it.Thanks for info as where to get.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

Read an article in a Science magazine a couple of years ago.
It said that scientists had finally figured out what causes seasickness.

Your brain receives information on where your body is and how it is moving from 2 primary souces: your eyes, and the balance system in your ears.
Motion sickness is caused when those 2 sources send the brain conflicting information.
This makes perfect sense to me since I always get the beginnings of motion sickness when I look down to retie some gear, it is worst when there are swells around.
My eyes are telling my brain that my body is not moving but my ears are telling my brain that my body is rolling all over the place!
I have now gotten into the habit of keeping my eyes on the sea as much as possible and really limiting the length of time that I stare at anything in the moving boat.

Try it, it works!

Smiley.

Got a little tip for you big swell fishermen.
Came across some ginger candy in a sweet shop. Cant remember the name (Cholu,maybe)-sold in a green tin.Knocked the seasickness out for 5 hours on one piece. All natural too.
Hot, sweet and tastes odd but works for me!

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

I use 100 mg gravol-25mg fast acting and 75 mg slow release-works well although it will make you sleepy if you don't go into the slop. Word of warning on gravol it is one of those drugs that has a definite expiry date and it isn't that far off what is printed on the package.

Wow, lots of you guys get sea sick, i am blessed with having a strong stomach and have never been sea sick. By the sounds of it, it can start at a later age. interesting. hope that doesent happen to me.

-Steve

Anyone ever puked while taking Bonamine? I've seen mixed results with the other stuff, but don't know many that have tried Bonamine.

I have used Bonamine for the last three years without any side effects. In the past I used Gravol,Ginger,bracelets together and still yucked. Bonamine for me.
Another good one if you can find it is Sturgeron, I got it in Mexico.

Thanks Salmonlander. I wonder how many five gallon buckets of barf I've contributed to the marine ecosystem in 40 years of fishing? Still looking for the right meds to get through the first day of a West coast trip before it eases off.

quote:Originally posted by salmonlander

Another good one if you can find it is Sturgeron, I got it in Mexico.
Sadly Mexico is the only place you can buy that stuff.

Bad thing about partner getting seasick: they can't help much or very well.
Good thing: you get their lunch as well as yours!
Just have to tolerate bring called names the rest of the day [:p]
Smiley.

I've come close to yakking a few times while deep sea fishing in the Atlantic and Pacific. This may sound silly, but I swear it has worked anytime I've got queasy offshore. I often bring cheesies along as a snack food that I enjoy with a few beers onboard. Everybody has heard about eating dry crackers if queasy, but how many crackers can you eat without fluids. You can eat a lot more cheesies than dry crackers, sops up any excess fluid sloshing around in your gut. Presto, good to go, I'm 100% serious, works like a charm.

Back