boats someone should buy

juandesooka

I am having a flare up an ongoing case of 2-foot-itis, after seeing a pretty sweet looking 2600 Striper for sale in Sooke. Not *exactly* what I want, but pretty darn nice.

But then I check out the USA listings and am once again shocked at prices down there. I'm sure the cheap ones have something wrong, bank repos, hurricane damage, marginal motors, general abuse, no trailer, etc. However, half price or more will buy a lot of updating!

For fun, here's the thread for absurdly good deals that you won't be buying...but someone else should.

http://boats.iboats.com/1998-seaswirl-boats-2600-walk-around/677676.html

http://boats.iboats.com/1998-seaswirl-boats-2300-walkaround/612059.html

http://boats.iboats.com/1999-seaswirl-boats-2300-walk-around/561199.html

http://boats.iboats.com/1998-seaswirl-seaswirl-2300-striper-10490-cincinnati/670616.html

http://boats.iboats.com/2003-seaswirl-boats-2301-walk-around/656880.html

Very nice boats, wicked prices.

aug201010.jpg

Looking at boats for sale in the east and south coast of the US is just torture, the prices are insanely cheap; however, you are pretty much buying sight unseen. Yeah you can get a survey, but anybody who has had a survey done knows what a load of crap that is, like getting a home inspection. The first Striper on the list, the 2600 WA, although maybe not your perfect choice, wierd livewell right in the middle of the rear deck, but for 15K I think most of us could live with it. But it is in California, and you could drive down there on a weekend and line up to see half a dozen or so boats, buy one and trailer it back.

Boats run on Gas, not Thanks!

I got my 2007 2301 Striper a few years ago now. It had 20 hrs. on it. I lined up a couple on a trip down to Costa Mesa California. Worked my way back up and picked the cream puff of the group. Basically it was a brand new boat. Never used for fishing. 40,000.00
Granted those are some damn inexpesive prices, I did see first hand why they were going for so cheap. A couple Thousand hours on a power head was something I did not want. However with those numbers you could still get new power and be ahead. I'd do it again for sure. Beware the search though. It's addictive behaviour that I actually missed once my purchase was complete.

The first one probably has a blown engine-it's a 225 Yammi 4 stroke which to my knowledge didn't come out until 2002 or 01. Notice they say nothing about this motor although all the other ads describe the power-even if the motor is dead it's still a good deal.

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

I sure the heck would not be happy running a 225 on a 26' Striper. Waaaaay under powered. The $ is still good though for the Boat itself!

A friend of mine ( charter operator) has now bought 3 boats from the USA at different times. Two from Oregon (better than Washington, there's no sales tax there he says) and one from North Carolina.

He can write some of the costs off in his business.

I've talked about buying in the USA with him at length many a time.

All the boats he bought were very good. And at far less than he'd have paid in Canada.

He won't even consider buying in Canada any more.

After doing boat searches on the Internet for B.C.....night after night, page after page, I'm inclined to agree with him.

Boats up here are astronomically overpriced....from new right up to junk that won't float anymore.

The last boat he bought was a 27 footer....such a good deal that the border agents were actually asking him to sell the boat to them right then and there.

But you have to have the paperwork in order when you come to the border.....bill of sale, CLEAR TITLE and no liens and recalls.

My friend says that you can't be too carefull.....you really have to know what you are doing..there's just as many sucker deals down there as there are up here.

I wouldn't buy in Canada either. You have to know what you are doing. Lots of hoops to do it correctly but you can and will save a bundle. I don't beleive descent boats are over priced in Canada, it's just that the US is hurting period. Alot of guys are given flack up here when they try to sell their rig for fair market value. Compared to US numbers though you just can't compare. It's not the Canadian sellers' fault for wanting to get what is fair for his boat.

My boat is flawless. I won't be flogging it for american prices though. It really is their loss. Get them while you can guys.

When I bought my boat 2 years ago, the market I was looking at was 10 year old boats. I think a part of the price advantage was related to the historic exchange rate ... the Campion I bought was made in Kelowna, but sold new in the US for 30% cheaper. A boat that sold new for $25k is worth $12k in ten years, while the same boat in Canada depreciated from $35k to $20k.

I suspect this difference might be equalizing a little now, with newer boats, though I don't have evidence to back this up (sadly, not even looking at new boat prices!).

Though as Highlights says, the differences are even more noticable now with the economy being so bad in the US compared to Canada.

If you're looking to buy a 10 year old Trophy in Canada, you can probably get a 5 year old or even a new one in USA for the same or lower price. But nothing against guys here trying to get their money back on used boats! And there will be people who here will pay it, to avoid the hassle of cross border shopping, having to ship boats, etc.

There's bargains to be had down there....but nothing comes for "free"...you always pay, one way or other. ;)

Just bought a USA boat that was in BC for the summer. The biggest hassle was with our provincial and federal governments. When I licenced the boat CBSA took HST on the boat and GST on the trailer. When I went to ICBC to pay the PST portion of the trailer and get my insurance they wanted me to pay the PST on the boat again and apply to get my money back from the federal government as they were not entitled to it. Two hours in the ICBC office and it was all sorted out but it was a big hassle.Thankfully CBSA had documented everything they had done and after the poor girl faxing numerous documents to ICBC, and then ICBC agents talking to their supervisors and even further up the supervisory line, I did not have to give out more money even though I had already paid, just not into the coffers that they deemed appropriate. Yes there are some great deals to be found south of the border, just do your homework.

Hey Charlie, just wondering if you had one bill of sale for boat and trailer or two bills of sale, one for the boat and one for the trailer? I had two bills of sale when I brought my boat back from the U.S. and didn't have any grief like you had. Sure I had to pay my tax's, at the border I paid the PST and GST on the boat and the GST on the trailer. When I registerd & insured the trailer I paid the PST on the trailer. They just want your money!!!

... Are fishermen all liars?
Or do only liars fish?

Two separate bill of sale. I was in a unique situation where the boat was already in Canada. I did all my arranging over the phone and fax lines. I arranged with Campell River CBSA to licence the boat. This saved me from physically bringing the boat over on the ferries to CBSA in Campbell River. I had to get the local RCMP detachment to verify the BIN and VIN numbers to avoid a ferry ride with the boat. Thankfully it all worked out, but the government agencies need to be on the same page. Fat chance that I was going to pay twice and then try to track down a refund.

Two separate bill of sale. I was in a unique situation where the boat was already in Canada. I did all my arranging over the phone and fax lines. I arranged with Campell River CBSA to licence the boat. This saved me from physically bringing the boat over on the ferries to CBSA in Campbell River. I had to get the local RCMP detachment to verify the BIN and VIN numbers to avoid a ferry ride with the boat. Thankfully it all worked out, but the government agencies need to be on the same page. Fat chance that I was going to pay twice and then try to track down a refund.

I'm curious too.

I suspect what it means is that these listing always seem to have a boat or two that are way cheaper than anything else...way too good to be true and probably are not real.

I emailed a couple of the lowball ones, just for fun, didn't get a response...maybe sold? Or maybe something more to it, who knows.

A buddy of mine said something pretty wise the other day -- he isn't looking for the good deal, more for the fair deal. Me? Sucker all the way... ;)

I'm curious too.

I suspect what it means is that these listing always seem to have a boat or two that are way cheaper than anything else...way too good to be true and probably are not real.

I emailed a couple of the lowball ones, just for fun, didn't get a response...maybe sold? Or maybe something more to it, who knows.

A buddy of mine said something pretty wise the other day -- he isn't looking for the good deal, more for the fair deal. Me? Sucker all the way... ;)

Back