Boat Surveyor in Seattle Area

this is a post from member tugcaptain a couple days ago

Looks good from here...
Can't recommend enough having it surveyed first.
I can also recommend "Erik Bentzen" as a reputable surveyor in Seattle with fair rates. I did a lot of research to find him. He saved me from myself once when I got googily eyed boat fever over an older fiberglass fishing boat in the Seattle area.
Saved myself a trip down there to see it too.

I'm glad you called them, Dollarboat, I was beginning to worry you weren't reading responses to your posts!
I'm not surprised he's booked, I had to wait a week in the off season and they must be going gang busters now.
I also found a couple of others that had great reputations but I looked and can't find where I recorded their names.
The most important thing is to look for a surveyor who has a SAMS or NAMS certification, that's the standard for surveyors in the U.S.
After that, I searched the US cruising and sailing forums for recommendations or experiences from people who had good surveys done. The same 3 or 4 names came up numerous times establishing excellent reputations.
Unfortunately, I'm guessing you'll be waiting for any of them. Tough when you have boat fever!
Good work isn't cheap, but the last thing you want is a survey from an unknown source/reputation who won't stand behind their work. If they are cheaper and available, that may be a warning sign!
A good fishing boat for under $10K will be a great find, they are out there, but so are the ones requiring another $5-10K to make them what you thought they were.
The peace of mind that a good survey provides lets you know exactly what you're getting yourself into.
Are you in the Seattle area? I see all the boats you've asked about are down there...
I wish you the best of luck.

The Surveyor I use up here is local and will travel to seattle if you ask,
he has done my last three and was the first accredited surveyor in Canada,
he is also ex coast guard hovercraft captain and knows his stuff
call Tony at active marine services or www.boatsurvey.ca
his prices are very reasonable even for across the line stuff

No, I from the Vancouver area. Just haven't found anything local that I like and it seems the deals are better in the US, even with the exchange rate. Similar boats to this, not including all the gear, are going for $14,000 or more locally.

I hear ya.
Should also mention that a survey is different from a mechanical inspection. A serious seller should be able to provide service records, hopefully with a very recent one including a compression test. If not, a compression test should be a minimum. The surveyor will give a general report on mechanical condition otherwise. Also, if the boat has wooden stringers or framing, a sellers not going to let you do a core drill sample, but, they do have a tool (forget it's name) that will give a moisture content reading from the transom and glassed in stringers. Ask to make sure the surveyor has one.

You've also probably found it, but there was a super informative thread on this forum with the guys who have imported boats from the US giving all kinds of tips.

I've imported its super easy, show up at the boarder with supporting documents, bill of sale, a copy of the add itself as well is usually asked for so print it off.
pay your taxes on the boat portion, trailer must have a federal inspection, takes 10 minutes at Canadian tire, with that in hand back down to boarder, at 176 crossing, hand in your fed inspection and get your Canadian documents off to icbc register and pay your pst
if I recall correctly that's it

Back