Boat launch in Crofton/Chemainus

luckyman

If I was looking to launch in this area, and boat over to tent island and Ruxton am I able leave the truck and trailer overnight? What Marina?
Never been up there.
Thx in advance!

Did a weekend camping trip to De Courcy Island from the Chemainus launch a couple years ago. I parked on Maple Street as the ramp parking was full. It was all good, although I did knock on the door of the house I parked in front of to ask if they minded. Time the tides at that launch as it's very shallow and flattens out at low tide, and the end of the concrete drops away.

The ramp in Crofton is right beside the Saltspring Island ferry. It has two ramps and a dock, so it is easy if you are on your own. the Chemainus ramp has a concrete pier, but if I remember, you can't tie up to it

Depends what size boat your going out of. We have used Chemainus before with smaller boats but the launch isn't great as theres no docks, just concrete piers but if your in a smaller boat it would work fine. Ive never used Croften as I am in Ladysmith but its a very nice looking ramp so I would recommend Croften. We always use the Ladysmith ramp, the ramp is pretty steep and the tide has never been an issue for us there. We usually avoid the middle right ramp on low tides if we can as it has a few pot holes (they could be fixed by now we have avoided that one ramp since we first discovered the issue)

I would be choosing between Ladysmith and Croften if it was me, which ever is more convenient for you as there both good ramps.

Back