Boat Insurance Policy Change BC

pescador

Got this letter from my broker yesterday. I intend to call them. Anyone else seen this? Obsolescence seems like a pretty broad term. If my boat model isn’t in production then what? Starting to feel like we’re gonna get shafted again by the man.

IMG_0941.jpeg

To me, the letter was a fair warning about what some insurers might do. I would certainly have appreciated the heads up, and they did make it a full page notice.

The broker that sent it is not the insurer. They then ask if he wants quote options from an alternative marine insurance carrier. That was good customer service from what I read.

update. I’ve been working with Portside Marine Insurance in Kelowna. They’ve quoted me a very reasonable rate. Very quick and professional. Lower price, higher valuation and lower deductible. I guess it pays to shop. Had the last insurer for 16 Years. Sometimes you gotta move to be appreciated. Thanks for the tip on Portside. Some of the companies I emailed didn’t even respond to me.

update. I’ve been working with Portside Marine Insurance in Kelowna. They’ve quoted me a very reasonable rate. Very quick and professional. Lower price, higher valuation and lower deductible. I guess it pays to shop. Had the last insurer for 16 Years. Sometimes you gotta move to be appreciated. Thanks for the tip on Portside. Some of the companies I emailed didn’t even respond to me.
I've been with them a few years too. Since my boat is out of the water in the winter I got a better rate. Local company wouldn't entertain the idea of reduced risk.

I'm in the middle of shopping around and portside is by far the cheapest option. I have been going back and forth with the broker to confirm wordings, area maps, trying to find a chunk In the armor....so far they have rapidly answered all of my questions so am heavily leaning towards their direction. The underwriter is Travelers Insurance which they claimed use to be Dominion of Canada and have been in the business for 40 years.

I have quotes from dolphin ( $3400) and portside is $2200 for same coverage rate but higher deductibles.....waiting for 2 other quotes from western marine who I used previously. Just thought I'd share my experiences shopping around....I've been skeptical with portside ( seems too good to be true) but they have answered every question quickly and provided documentation to substantiate the answer....does anyone here have experience with processing a claim wirh this provider?

Back